The New Raith Rovers Thread

Is anyone else disappointed with Buchanan?

I don’t see what he brings to the squad. Spence at least works hard and makes runs to create space for Vaughan to fill in.

I’d rather have Zanatta and Barr out wide with Vaughan sitting behind Spence.

I'm the opposite of this. Find Spence disappointing and think Buchanan puts in a shift every game. Funny old game eh?

Rovers fans love a forward that runs about a lot.

I've never got this either Buchanan is a very intelligent footballer and brings a great deal To our forward line. Spencie is great sniffing out chances in the box but lacks any pace.....and like Weir ,Stewart, etc before him he does put in a hell of a shift.....with little return. I can still see him on the right side of twenty goals this season when he eventually gets in the groove

For me Buchanan and Spence have both been disappointing.

Spence hasn't improved at all since his previous spell while Buchanan's got some nice touches but his finishing is pathetic.

Zannatta can just not bother coming back.

Your not a Rover are you......what a load of pish...

3 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Looked decent in his first 5 minutes on the pitch but has since resorted to falling over a lot. Considering how few justified penalties we get he should probably rethink that strategy.

Or better still sod off altogether.

Edited by mr mince

For me Buchanan and Spence have both been disappointing.

Spence hasn't improved at all since his previous spell while Buchanan's got some nice touches but his finishing is pathetic.

A bit harsh, but I agree with the general sentiment. Spence and Buchanan are star turns at this level but I haven't been that impressed with either so far. That could be to do with the service they've been getting.

We started the season looking like we would steamroller the league and we've fallen away a bit. Once we get the injured players back we'll undoubtedly look better, but we really miss Callachan in midfield.

Even so, we will hopefully still be challenging for the league.

Saturday’s draw with Forfar had the dubious honour of being our 50th regulation league match since we were last awarded a penalty, back in April 2016 in a 3-3 draw with Rangers. It was also our 53rd match across all competitions since the last penalty award, which Lewis Vaughan scored in a 2-1 win over Montrose in last season’s League Cup.

Can’t be too many worse records out there?

1 hour ago, Paco said:

Saturday’s draw with Forfar had the dubious honour of being our 50th regulation league match since we were last awarded a penalty, back in April 2016 in a 3-3 draw with Rangers. It was also our 53rd match across all competitions since the last penalty award, which Lewis Vaughan scored in a 2-1 win over Montrose in last season’s League Cup.

50 league games without a penalty, that's madness. We've conceded five in that time, saving one - Brennan's v Ayr near the end of last season. Also conceded another two v Hearts in the Scottish Cup game at Tynecastle. 

I'd be interested to see the pens awarded stats for other teams in the division, as well as Dunfermline, who it feels as though have had about 15 in that time! 

Edited by Hank Scorpio

1 hour ago, Paco said:

Pretty sure we got a pen VS Buckie?

Re Spence, he's a victim of us shoe horning himself Buchanan and Vaughan into the team. Was fine when we had Callachan driving things on from midfield, but the complete lack of service has lead to Spence and Buchanan just not working together at all.

Saturday was very Gary Locke. Get the ball to the forward thinking players as quick as possible.

50 league games without a penalty, that's madness. We've conceded five in that time, saving one - Brennan's v Ayr near the end of last season. Also conceded another two v Hearts in the Scottish Cup game at Tynecastle. 
I'd be interested to see the pens awarded stats for other teams in the division, as well as Dunfermline, who it feels as though have had about 15 in that time! 

We’ve already had 3 this season and we’ve conceded 2. Five penalties for and against already this season seems like a lot to me.

Mind you 50 games without having one is really bizarre.

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Re Spence, he's a victim of us shoe horning himself Buchanan and Vaughan into the team. Was fine when we had Callachan driving things on from midfield, but the complete lack of service has lead to Spence and Buchanan just not working together at all.

Saturday was very Gary Locke. Get the ball to the forward thinking players as quick as possible.

Aye, he scored up against Buckie earlier in the season.

You're spot on about Spence. He's a penalty box striker who is being put into a system where he's having to drop back deeper at times to collect the ball. We really need one of our midfielders to start getting further forward and causing problems. James Craigen used to be superb for doing it (ironically, he scored goals for fun yet still got pelters from some of our fans).

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Vaughan scored the first goal from the spot.

Aye, he scored up against Buckie earlier in the season.
You're spot on about Spence. He's a penalty box striker who is being put into a system where he's having to drop back deeper at times to collect the ball. We really need one of our midfielders to start getting further forward and causing problems. James Craigen used to be superb for doing it (ironically, he scored goals for fun yet still got pelters from some of our fans).

He came to support us in the playoffs last season aswell. Seems a decent bloke who got alot of undeserved stick.