The New Raith Rovers Thread

1 hour ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

One less position to be concerned about if only for another year, beginning to think Hanlon is going elsewhere though 

Think your hunch has some mileage & could be a surprise to see where he ends up. On a more positive note hearing Telfer heading your way much to the chagrin of Airdire boyz.

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

Mcglynn will do fine for Falkirk, I'd expect them to at least be in the mix for top 4.

He was found wanting after other sides had sussed us out, and wasn't the right man to take us any further- but every chance he's learned from that.

McGlynn has done well with Falkirk.

McGlynn did well with us ( Goodwillie situation apart). as for his reception when he comes back to Stark,s with FFC it would be very churlish if "supporteres" were to give him a hard time......have they forgotten charlatans like Locke and Hughes?

John McGlynn did more for Raith that a number of ex managers "welded" together.

He IS NOT an Ian Murray (arguably the best in this division)but.....John McGlynn left a good foundation for Murray to work on....we ....even reluctantly....owe John McGlynn an appreciative welcome when he brings FFC through to Starks!!

30 minutes ago, Wee Sandy said:

He IS NOT an Ian Murray (arguably the best in this division)but.....John McGlynn left a good foundation for Murray to work on....we ....even reluctantly....owe John McGlynn an appreciative welcome when he brings FFC through to Starks!!

I'm not so sure he did leave a solid foundation. Murrays first season we struggled to put out a team and 2 subs. 

This season there's been a lot of change and next season looks to be evolving further. 

1 hour ago, pub car king said:

This season there's been a lot of change and next season looks to be evolving further. 

Certainly been a dramatic change, I'm off to look at buying a conservatory 🤣

I won’t be applauding the man who nearly ended my support for the club I love back to Stark’s park. I probably won’t boo him either though.

Glad to have mcneil signed up. A solid enough backup to have. Would be surprised if Robbie isn't registered in a break glass in case of emergency sort of thing. 

I probably won't applaud mcglynn, but I won't be booing him either. Twice he rebuilt the club from l1 and but for some massively questionable decisions at key moments, would have had us winning this league (the shit mcneil over mcgurn). Won't applaud him due to the dgw fiasco, that was undoubtedly one of the darkest times the club has had in recent years. 

It will be interesting to see how his mini rovers team do next season. I think they'll probably be around top 4, but it's genuinely laughable to see Falkirk fans say with sincerity they have a small budget. 

I wouldn't swap Murray for mcglynn now. Both have their faults and mcglynn did what mcglynn is good at for us twice, but Murray is the manager our club needs to take the next step imo. 

Edited by grumswall

1 minute ago, grumswall said:

Glad to have mcneil signed up. A solid enough backup to have. Would be surprised if Robbie isn't registered in a break glass in case of emergency sort of thing. 

I probably won't applaud mcglynn, but I won't be booing him either. Twice he rebuilt the club from l1 and but for some massively questionable decisions at key moments, would have had us winning this league (the shit mcneil over mcgurn). Won't applaud him due to the dgw fiasco, that was undoubtedly one of the darkest times the club has had in recent years. 

It will be interesting to see how his mini rovers team do next season. I think they'll probably be around top 4, but it's genuinely laughable to see Falkirk fans say with sincerity they have a small budget. 

I wouldn't swap Murray for mcglynn now. Both have their faults and mcglynn did what mcglynn is good at for us twice, but Murray is the manager our club needs to take the next step imo. 

JMcG was doing the manager thing recommending DGW to the Board. He was, and is, an old-schooler who either failed to comprehend or accept that the worth of a player on the pitch wasn’t worth the s**tstorm off the field. The Board takes the L for DGW, and JMcG gets a (very short) polite clap.

48 minutes ago, TxRover said:

JMcG was doing the manager thing recommending DGW to the Board.

Recommend or pressured the board, I’ve heard both sides. What seems consistent in the stories I’ve heard is the deal was done and McGlynn was very persistent the signing be made and he certainly wasn’t considering/bothered about the wider club or community.

Edited by Enigma

3 minutes ago, Enigma said:

Recommend or pressured the board, I’ve heard both sides. What seems consistent in the stories I’ve heard is the deal was done and McGlynn was very persistent the signing be made.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. JMcG is oft characterized as being a football nerd, as most managers are. He saw a striker that could help us and pushed for him…he had absolutely no thought for outside considerations. That was a tragic error on his part, but not necessarily one that was within his remit. It was a grievous error, and grievously has Caesar McGlynn paid for it.

I despise his part in the absolute firestorm that followed, as a majority of our support simply decamped, and yelled our outrage to the heavens. In response, we got our team back, with a new management structure that seems light years ahead of where we were. While I greatly dislike JMcG’s failure in this aspect, I respect the work he did otherwise with the Club, and the successes he had with it.

Thus, I prefer to respect his hard work, and give a quick, polite clap…at least until he either convicts himself of a greater part or shows colors that suggest he knew better.

I agree with you Tx in so much that his work before that should be commended. It's been done to death but his part and everything the club, fans and more importantly the actual victim had to go through due to that signing, means he doesn't get a quick, polite clap from me. Being old isn't an excuse for it either btw. 

Just now, grumswall said:

I agree with you Tx in so much that his work before that should be commended. It's been done to death but his part and everything the club, fans and more importantly the actual victim had to go through due to that signing, means he doesn't get a quick, polite clap from me. Being old isn't an excuse for it either btw. 

Fair enough, but there is the tragic aspect of being from the “boys will be boys” era (that certainly isn’t an excuse), added to he was/is also in his own (football) world. I was in an industry where change occurred during my career…from a boys club to an open and fair workplace. I saw how some adapted easily and some never accepted that times had changed. More common was the dinosaur who struggled to adapt, never trying to offend or insult, but never really comprehending how things had changed.

The BoD had the final say on it all.

However, I will also support anyone who doesn’t want to clap. Booing, I won’t condemn anyone who feels it’s necessary either. The reality, as you pointed out, is there is a huge spectrum of impacts that fiasco had on people bother associated with the Club and not.

2 hours ago, Enigma said:

I won’t be applauding the man who nearly ended my support for the club I love back to Stark’s park. I probably won’t boo him either though.

Same

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

JMcG was doing the manager thing recommending DGW to the Board. He was, and is, an old-schooler who either failed to comprehend or accept that the worth of a player on the pitch wasn’t worth the s**tstorm off the field. The Board takes the L for DGW, and JMcG gets a (very short) polite clap.

Bull and shit

The mans not stupid,he,d have known like everyone else DG CV/baggage but still chose to recommend or demand that was the player he wanted over others

Edited by Rovers_Lad

32 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Fair enough, but there is the tragic aspect of being from the “boys will be boys” era (that certainly isn’t an excuse), added to he was/is also in his own (football) world. I was in an industry where change occurred during my career…from a boys club to an open and fair workplace. I saw how some adapted easily and some never accepted that times had changed. More common was the dinosaur who struggled to adapt, never trying to offend or insult, but never really comprehending how things had changed.

The BoD had the final say on it all.

However, I will also support anyone who doesn’t want to clap. Booing, I won’t condemn anyone who feels it’s necessary either. The reality, as you pointed out, is there is a huge spectrum of impacts that fiasco had on people bother associated with the Club and not.

I get where you're coming from with it and we're not a million miles apart in our thinking, but I just don't think ignorance or age is an excuse that can be used. 

The good guys on the BOD resigned over it and I genuinely wish mcglynn had walked at the time. He couldn't though because he was the one who pushed for that signing to be made. If dgw had played for us, I would never have been back at starks park. 

2 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

f**k me, we’ve done this to death- do we really have to cover it again?

No it's pathetic. The clubs moved on and for me it's long forgotten. 

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Thus, I prefer to respect his hard work, and give a quick, polite clap…at least until he either convicts himself of a greater part or shows colors that suggest he knew better.

I find it absolutely wild you'd clap someone who coveted and loved a rapist so much, in doing so it brought horrendous shame on Raith Rovers and also dredged up all the shite for the victim aswell. 

Giving him a clap because he was an ok manager just seems absolutely wild to me. 

52 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

f**k me, we’ve done this to death- do we really have to cover it again?

Not sure anyone who didn't want to comment had to cover it again. It was brought up earlier today though so thought I'd stick my opinion in when I was bored. 

51 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

No it's pathetic. The clubs moved on and for me it's long forgotten. 

There's nothing to be learned by forgetting things. So it isn't pathetic to remember where the club has come from and is now. 

37 minutes ago, HoBNob said:

Giving him a clap because he was an ok manager just seems absolutely wild to me. 

To be fair he was much more than that. Not only was he a great manager for the most part, he was fixing the showers and painting the stands. He transformed the club on and off the pitch.

He tainted his legacy at the end big time but he still deserves recognition for the mountain of work he did before hand. 

2 hours ago, grumswall said:

I get where you're coming from with it and we're not a million miles apart in our thinking, but I just don't think ignorance or age is an excuse that can be used. 

Not an excuse, a reason. He SHOULD have know better.

1 hour ago, HoBNob said:

I find it absolutely wild you'd clap someone who coveted and loved a rapist so much, in doing so it brought horrendous shame on Raith Rovers and also dredged up all the shite for the victim aswell. 

1 hour ago, blink said:

To be fair he was much more than that. Not only was he a great manager for the most part, he was fixing the showers and painting the stands. He transformed the club on and off the pitch.

He tainted his legacy at the end big time but he still deserves recognition for the mountain of work he did before hand.