The New Raith Rovers Thread

2 hours ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

This constant crap on here, I'm shocked, it's a risk, a gamble, crazy, he took you within touching distance of the SPL. 

1. If you're not a Raith fan then you haven't been watching that absolute turgid crap we have for over a year. 

I will let DA Baracus take up the issue of it no longer being the Spl. If we were turgid crap, what does that say about the rest of the championship? I think after going top, he became more obsessed with not losing than going on the front foot and putting United to the sword points wise. Yeah, it was tough to watch at times, but i don’t think we should be hanging murray out to dry. 

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Aye, Pars lost five times to turgid crap (a cunning change from turgid pish).

When Dundee United got beat twice that was also rubbish.

When we finished second that was a blow. To be fair, we did pretty much throw away our best chance to win the league since 2010-11 season.

When we got to the Premiership play-off final for the first time ever that was shite. Admittedly we lost, when the aim was to win.

It does come across as ‘we deserve better’ fan patter. 

The pars were sh*te. Beat them 5 times what about Arbroath and Airdrie. Honestly, if you were happy watching that crap, then school football would be a joy for you?!! 

20 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Remember when Brian Graham was photographed at the Scotland games with Alan Halliday  

Wonder what odds Graham is for the job, that manager release clause in his contract makes interesting reading now.

Certainly would make sense. It's been well publicised too.

2 hours ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

This constant crap on here, I'm shocked, it's a risk, a gamble, crazy, he took you within touching distance of the SPL. 

1. If you're not a Raith fan then you haven't been watching that absolute turgid crap we have for over a year. 

2. He was a one trick pony who had no plan B, as proved against Airdrie. 

3. He kept playing players out of position and with Corr decided to play him in the playoffs when he wasn't deemed good enough during the season??

4. The whole stuff with Millen. Truth has never been divulged.

5. He has had the biggest budget of any Raith manager and hasn't recruited great in my eyes, especially over the summer. 

6. Blamed players fitness after the Airdrie defeat. It's his job to get them fit. Absolute shocker of an excuse. 

7. Clearly is unable to get the best out of players as Easton, Stanton, Byrne, Hamilton the list goes on, have not produced anything of real note since last year. 

The board were wrong for giving him a 3 year contract which I voiced at the time. Results were terrible for months after that announcement. We werent even playing great before then, it was Murrayball that was getting us results. Once or twice fine but every game nearly it was being done. No convincing wins other that Arbroath at the end of the season. It's the correct decision but should have happened after the convincing County defeat.

Exactly this

Edited by Rovers_Lad

When we finished second that was a blow. To be fair, we did pretty much throw away our best chance to win the league since 2010-11 season.

When we got to the Premiership play-off final for the first time ever that was shite. Admittedly we lost, when the aim was to win.

So is it wrong to want to see some kind of football with tactics being played? I mean this is professional football and they are all on decent wages. 

Jesus, no wonder wee team mentality gets thrown around. Nobody seems to want to aim higher and demand a set standard. How dare a paying fan have a opinion. I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could possibly have been happy sitting watching us last year, especially after Murrayball stopped working. It was dire. At the end of the day, what the rest of you think is irrelevant, clearly the board seen what I seen and those with eyes hence he got his P45. If you want a Murray love in, follow him to his next club. 

3 hours ago, CrossgatesCynic said:

Murray seemed a genuinely good guy. I’m honestly still not sure how I feel that he’s been binned. It’s done, however. The king is dead, long live the king… etc. 

Murray committed a cardinal sin by proving repeatedly he had a weakness he seemingly couldn’t address, as proven by matches against Airdrie. The official line is they’ve been considering this for six months, or right after they granted a 3 year extension…

3 hours ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

I've  a feeling we wont have very much longer to wait for the unveiling, possibly tomorrow or Friday, these guys ain't daft enough to punt a manager with no-one lined up 

….so they would have started feeling buyers remorse almost instantly when form pretty much dropped off a cliff. I think “lined-up” is excessive, but I’m confident that they have multiple people they would prefer on a list Potter and Barrowman have. The huge question is…

2 hours ago, Raithie said:

I think folk might need to temper their expectations. We're a 2nd tier club of average to good quality with a new regime still trying to get things right on and off the pitch. Unless we've go some serious pulling power I don't think whoever comes in is going to be some super highly successful consistent manager.

…how attractive is the Raith job? Let’s face something, Scottish football success isn’t a lovely motorway to roses, bouquets and offers of jobs in England or Europe, it’s a rickety cartpath that has been successfully navigated by a relatively elite few. So the real goal would be getting either an up and coming young manager eager to prove themselves OR an experienced hand either needing a redemption job or another promotion drive season for the CV. In that context, the Raith job is pretty decent, with much improved facilities, a decent basis on the park, and plenty of exposure.

2 hours ago, AllanJM said:

Not sure how I feel about Leven. Certainly did ok as caretaker for Aberdeen but clearly lacking in experience.

The question would be does he fit the bill…is he the eager young wunderkinder flavor of the month?

The statements about this having been a decision mulled over for six months or so, with them reportedly deciding he deserved a chance to start the next season does suggest they considered that, but were convinced after yet another shitting of the bed versus Airdrie that Murray isn’t the choice due to a lack of tactical flexibility. He’s a pretty good manager, and he selected players to be pursued that the Board and Management brain trust felt were a good choice, but he couldn’t mould them into a shape to defeat the same opponent in five tries. He was them allowed to adjust the mix and then failed the sixth time, which may have suggested to the Board a tactical blindness that perhaps Ross County exploited at the end of last season, and again this season.

Repeated failures on the same test seems to have been the catalyst for this change, and while a list may have already been drawn up, I’m not sure we had anything lined up. Especially if the leadership are believing we’re a hot commodity to for a go-getter to prove themselves, then I’d expect them to want to get the decision right over now, thinking a good manager can turn what we have with tactical changes, adjustments via a loan or three till January, and then being able to make the necessary adjustments. Perhaps Barrowman’s comments on budget are a coded message to applicants and targets of that ability?

11 minutes ago, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could possibly have been happy sitting watching us last year. 

Christ. 

1 minute ago, HoBNob said:

Christ. 

It does seem a bit narcissist that some fans seem to believe has was watching the Rovers rather than taking care of other business. 

Just now, A_Rover_In_The_Burgh said:

So is it wrong to want to see some kind of football with tactics being played? I mean this is professional football and they are all on decent wages. 

Jesus, no wonder wee team mentality gets thrown around. Nobody seems to want to aim higher and demand a set standard. How dare a paying fan have a opinion. I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could possibly have been happy sitting watching us last year, especially after Murrayball stopped working. It was dire. At the end of the day, what the rest of you think is irrelevant, clearly the board seen what I seen and those with eyes hence he got his P45. If you want a Murray love in, follow him to his next club. 

Now, I want to start off by saying, I can understand some of where you're coming from, but the bolded bit is really simple. We were winning games regularly (not as much as first half of the season, but that was always unsustainable) and we were fighting at the top of the league with Dundee United. For the most part, results matter more than performances, but when results start to fall away, focus comes onto how we're playing and why we're not winning. Fans were happy because of where we were and where we looked to be going especially when you factor in the previous seasons of Goodwillie and games where we had 1 sub on the bench.

If you can't understand that, you're probably either a moron or just an unsufferable arsehole, the sort that sits at home games and shouts "get if forward" constantly. 

Out of curiosity, what sort of football do you want the next manager to bring?, and try not to use cliches like "free flowing, attacking football". 

24 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Murray committed a cardinal sin by proving repeatedly he had a weakness he seemingly couldn’t address, as proven by matches against Airdrie. The official line is they’ve been considering this for six months, or right after they granted a 3 year extension…

….so they would have started feeling buyers remorse almost instantly when form pretty much dropped off a cliff. I think “lined-up” is excessive, but I’m confident that they have multiple people they would prefer on a list Potter and Barrowman have. The huge question is…

…how attractive is the Raith job? Let’s face something, Scottish football success isn’t a lovely motorway to roses, bouquets and offers of jobs in England or Europe, it’s a rickety cartpath that has been successfully navigated by a relatively elite few. So the real goal would be getting either an up and coming young manager eager to prove themselves OR an experienced hand either needing a redemption job or another promotion drive season for the CV. In that context, the Raith job is pretty decent, with much improved facilities, a decent basis on the park, and plenty of exposure.

The question would be does he fit the bill…is he the eager young wunderkinder flavor of the month?

The statements about this having been a decision mulled over for six months or so, with them reportedly deciding he deserved a chance to start the next season does suggest they considered that, but were convinced after yet another shitting of the bed versus Airdrie that Murray isn’t the choice due to a lack of tactical flexibility. He’s a pretty good manager, and he selected players to be pursued that the Board and Management brain trust felt were a good choice, but he couldn’t mould them into a shape to defeat the same opponent in five tries. He was them allowed to adjust the mix and then failed the sixth time, which may have suggested to the Board a tactical blindness that perhaps Ross County exploited at the end of last season, and again this season.

Repeated failures on the same test seems to have been the catalyst for this change, and while a list may have already been drawn up, I’m not sure we had anything lined up. Especially if the leadership are believing we’re a hot commodity to for a go-getter to prove themselves, then I’d expect them to want to get the decision right over now, thinking a good manager can turn what we have with tactical changes, adjustments via a loan or three till January, and then being able to make the necessary adjustments. Perhaps Barrowman’s comments on budget are a coded message to applicants and targets of that ability?

Time will tell Tx, time will tell, for all we know the new management may already be at the club.

1 hour ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Certainly would make sense. It's been well publicised too.

Graham to score a match winning double against us on Saturday and then be appointed our manager on Monday....