The New Raith Rovers Thread

7 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

Apparently Collins wasn’t happy with the ball boys lack of urgency and organisation and wanted someone else in charge. 

Thank god someone has finally adressed that pressing issue.

We're an absolutely hopeless second half side.

We were last season too, and nothing has changed there, apart from the fact we no longer score occasional (arguably lucky) winners in the last five minutes. 

All of our players in the final third can do one or two good things at most, but not enough for them to actually knit together and be effective.

Pollock and Jamieson want the ball, but provide very little end product when they get it. 

Hamilton can provide knock downs, hold the ball up and ruffle up defenders, but he can't finish regularly enough. 

Easton was our best forward player by a mile, but his sending off was rank stupidity, as were the fans clapping him off considering he's left us in the shit the for next week or two. 

This run of form is absolutely dreadful though, and as much as Neil Collins is saying there's loads of positives, I'm not sure I'm seeing any. 

Edited by McGuigan1978

Against Falkirk there were occasions where their players were right on asking ballboys so they could take quick restarts. It's a small change but it's still worth doing to have stuff like that in our favour. 

You can't be missing the chances Hamilton did today. If he scores them, we're talking about how he might turn a corner. Instead he's missed a one on one and a really clear cut chance in the second half. 

Where this time last season we were pulling off what looked impossible, now we're seeing the opposite. The Queens Park goal today summed it up. You can't rely on that forever. 

Dabo and Fordyce looked sharp but I don't feel our problems stem from the back. 

10 minutes ago, FitbaSupporter said:

Have to admit I’ve stopped watching Collins interviews. Not sure why. Saw the  ‘We’ve had a great week’ headline on Fridays one and thought I’m not gonna learn anything worthwhile here.  For a new manager it’s all just a bit meh. 

I'm starting to go that way, but I think it might down to the interviewer/circimstances than Neil Collins.

Ian Murray was always asked for example about injuries and specifics within that and he would update those (granted everyone was 2 weeks away regardless of what the injury was). Collins seem to be a load of soundbites and very little tangible information. 

Now I don't know if it's because he doesn't want to talk about it or due to Thursday being the day off it's all last minute dot com.on a Friday night and nobody is actually that bothered. 

3 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

Dabo and Fordyce looked sharp but I don't feel our problems stem from the back. 

They don't and despite a lot of grumbling I think we recruited well here. The defence needed a rebuild and we have rebuilt with better than what we had last season. Today for example is a shitty deflection Queens Park had nothing else you would say was a clear opportunity. Kev made a couple of saves from corners which was encouraging but that's it. 

9 hours ago, CountryBumpkin said:

Not that weird an example to use. Only two of their 10 Scots were what are classed as young players. You could argue that Deas, Cameron and Mayo are still "young" in football terms but at 24 they're probably not. We should applaud them for having a first team squad consisting of 10-12 Scottish players, its more than most other sides in the top flight have.

We have to accept that we're a feeder country and maximise revenue from that. A young player in Norway was sold to Brugge for €6m where as Dundee United and St. Mirren are selling their young players down south for £300k or so. The best deal we saw was Luke McCowan to Celtic for almost £1m, how is there such a vast difference and what needs to be done to bridge that gap and start to push that value higher?

Not when the decision is voted for by those that only have their own interests at heart. Similarly with league reconstruction. The minute an idea is floated that might mean less visits from the ugly sisters it barely gets to the voting table. 

Did the Rovers not gain promotion by clubs VOTING in their OWN intrests ? 😉

2 minutes ago, Jilted John said:

We also got relegated by our club voting against our own interests and in favour of the bigger picture. I guess these things even themselves out.

I suppose they do, but im all for 3 leagues of 16 ? this will never happen under this SFA. we need change. 

37 minutes ago, Broken Algorithms said:

You can't be missing the chances Hamilton did today. If he scores them, we're talking about how he might turn a corner. Instead he's missed a one on one and a really clear cut chance in the second half. 

Hamilton looks like a guy who has zero confidence he can actually score, so I'm actually surprised he's so willing to take penalties.  Noticed a few times last season and again today, that when he does score he looks more relieved than anything when he celebrates.  But where you'd expect him scoring, even from the penalty spot, would give him that confidence to kick on in front of goal, for Hamilton it doesn't seem to do anything for him.  

After reflection the first 45 minutes was the best we've played all season, QP were never in it. Only 2 issues we still didn't do enough in front of goal and Pollock struggled.

2nd half we were still the better side, defensively we were comfortable and took a deflection to score. Hamiltons miss(es) was criminal.. Hopefully Korede can hit the ground running.

We still lack up top, Hamilton looked okay with his flick ons etc but in front of goal is woeful. Jamieson and Pollock never delivered. A lack of drive from the middle of the midfield. Ref impacted that booking Brown and Byrne. Easton was just stupid, yes he won the corner which the ref never gave but to get sent off in those circumstances I hope he gets fined.

Positives, Fordyce strolled it. Dabo looks a find and hopefully we can start to see the best of Stanton and Brown now that they are back.

Negatives, we don't look like scoring even when on top. Last season we won that game. Fans are getting frustrated and with the absence of the young team there's no atmosphere. 

Personally I don't like that Collins isn't on the pitch prior to kick off. Its maybe not his style but going back a few years I loved to see Jimmy Nicholl talking individually to players almost telling them what he expected. 

1 hour ago, raith1974 said:

Stanton and Brown now that they are back.

Negatives, we don't look like scoring even when on top. Last season we won that game. Fans are getting frustrated and with the absence of the young team there's no atmosphere. 

What's happened to the young team? Did they get booted by the club or have they last interest.

7 hours ago, Pride of Fife said:

There’s still time to join Dylan Easton at tomorrow’s Train Like A Pro camp at Stark’s Park.

This session, Dylan will be teaching the 6-13 year olds…

Diving for fouls

Feigning injury

Dissent towards match officials

Imagine hating Dylan Easton.  He's not perfect and he should've known better yesterday but the guy is class.  Comfortably walks into any team in the league and can do things I've not seen anyone in a Rovers shirt do.  Get a grip.

Jack Hamilton has scored six non-penalty goals in 39 league games for the Rovers, every minute of which has been as an out-and-out striker. 

We're nine games into the season and we've scored non-penalties in one of them. 

You can't just insist on having a 20 goal a season striker, but without Vaughan we don't even have one who'll get you ten. We're left with Hamilton acting as a totem to try and get goals out of his supporting cast, but of those, only Easton (missing the next week or two) and Stanton (missing up til now) have any sort of propensity for scoring goals. 

A lot of last season it felt like we weren't creating many chances but yesterday quite simply goes down as a failing to finish. Put Brian Graham, George Oakley, Anton Dowds, Robbie Muirhead, Stevie May or Ross MacIvor into Hamilton's boots yesterday and they're walking away with a hat-trick. 

Hopefully we keep creating chances and Hamilton can find his groove, because otherwise we're relying on Cody David being a superstar, and I have my doubts. I suspect we're going to go back to the back end of last season where Hamilton and Rudden were swapped in and out more or less at random and both struggled to have any impact. 

I find it very difficult to criticise the manager after that yesterday. He's sent out a side that's dominated the game, gave up very little, and created enough to win two games. These things happen, but it's a stark signifier of what needs to be addressed in January and beyond. 

Is it to early to be calling for the board to piss off don't get me wrong they have done an amazing job of the ground but truthfully couldn't give a f**k what our laundry room looks like it could be a bucket of hot water for all I care the only thing that matter at the end of the day is the end result on a Saturday and the decision to get rid of Murray was clearly the wrong one. SOMETHING NEEDS TO CHANGE.