The New Raith Rovers Thread

As the board said, the friendlies never really make the club much money. But they aren't doing themselves any favours considering the supports of St.Johnstone and Inverness aren't the best. Aberdeen would have been a better proposition. But ah well.

As the board said, the friendlies never really make the club much money. But they aren't doing themselves any favours considering the supports of St.Johnstone and Inverness aren't the best. Aberdeen would have been a better proposition. But ah well.

If we can get that friendly against Middlesbrough, then I wouldn't bother about st Johnstone and Inverness

^^^ Kris Walker...

I'm not bothered as they are just glorified training sessions anyway and I wasn't really expecting anything else. I'll still go to one or two of the weekend ones.

Is that three years in a row that Middlesborough havent played a friendly against the Ramsdens Cup winners?

No, just two. They did play Falkirk the year before us. I bet they'd have found a convenient date to play Rangers if Rangers had been interested though!

I'm not bothered as they are just glorified training sessions anyway and I wasn't really expecting anything else. I'll still go to one or two of the weekend ones.

Exactly, better we play a near full strength St J & ICT, than QPR reserves IMO & they are home ties so the club has no travel expenses.

(I was joking about the Kris Walker bit too, after Mr MultiClub last week ;) )

Does anybody know how pre-season games work finance wise? ie Do the away club get a fee from the host? Or a share of the gate?

I'm struggling to think of a friendly that would really stand out. I'd quite like to see us beat East Fife (again), but that's hardly a glamour tie.

I don't mind pre-season. It's an interesting time and it's good to see how new signings start to integrate. Of course, they're usually a pretty terrible indicator. Did Paul Watson not score a fairly horrendous own goal on his "debut"?

I do quite like our wee habit of playing almost all of our friendlies at home. It bumps up the value on the season ticket, and I tend to be driving so I'm not a big one for "away days".

I'm struggling to think of a friendly that would really stand out. I'd quite like to see us beat East Fife (again), but that's hardly a glamour tie.

I don't mind pre-season. It's an interesting time and it's good to see how new signings start to integrate. Of course, they're usually a pretty terrible indicator. Did Paul Watson not score a fairly horrendous own goal on his "debut"?

I do quite like our wee habit of playing almost all of our friendlies at home. It bumps up the value on the season ticket, and I tend to be driving so I'm not a big one for "away days".

Pre-season has tended to bump up optimism in the past. You're right about Watson, who scored an own goal against Hearts. Ironically, after being pumped 5-0 pre-season by them we more than merited a win when we met them in the cup.

As for East Fife, I'd happily play them in a friendly but not competitively. It'd be typical for Allan Walker to volley in a 96th minute wonder goal to end out 25 year unbeaten run which causes their fans no end of grief.

Wasn't Watson's own goal against Inverness? I think McGurn saved the initial shot, it rebounded off the post, and Watson kind of shinned it in.

I remember thinking we'd potentially signed an absolute diddy at that point.

This is indeed the case, it wasn't his fault as his momentum rushing back couldn't prevent the ball ricocheting of his leg.