The New Raith Rovers Thread

My one and only trip there was the last game of the season in about 1982 or '83. We needed to beat Meadowbank and Ayr to lose at already promoted Dumbarton to avoid relegation. Rovers took the lead in the first minute and the noise from our fans was unlike anything I'd ever heard at a Rovers game before. We won 2-1 in the end and I just remember the absolute dejection I felt when we got back to the bus and learned that Ayr had won at Dumbarton to relegate us and I think I cried most of the way home.

I hated Dumbarton for years after that.

Just been off to consult the Rovers bible that is "Always Next Season" for more info about that Meadowbank game.

It took place in November 1985 and we were beating 6-0. Bobby Wilson said "I hope you're as disappointed with your performance as I am with my ****** teams" to the referee! Possibly the most bizarre part was that we'd beaten Stenhousemuir 9-2 at Stark's the week before with Paul Smith scoring a hat-trick for us!

Just been off to consult the Rovers bible that is "Always Next Season" for more info about that Meadowbank game.

It took place in November 1985 and we were beating 6-0. Bobby Wilson said "I hope you're as disappointed with your performance as I am with my ****** teams" to the referee! Possibly the most bizarre part was that we'd beaten Stenhousemuir 9-2 at Stark's the week before with Paul Smith scoring a hat-trick for us!

was Murray McDermott in goals? Pretty sure I was at that but I was only 9.

And his partner in crime scored five soon to be Franks big paratrooper Keith Wright..................without looking up the web or reference books who scored the other goal that day.

Don't remember much about the Teenage Fanclub set, I think I was mostly trying to keep in touch with the Test score from Trent Bridge at the time - it was that Ashes summer.

Didn't we get totally hammered by Meadowbank in the 80's? I seem to remember a feature in a fanzine called "My Pishest Game" and I'm sure this featured.

That was in the excellent "Stark's Bark" and was one of a series of pishest games.

Which probably raises a topic of discussion for here. What would be the pishest game you've ever been to? I've only been going regularly for just over a decade now (which feels so much longer), but I'd have to say it'd be watching us get humiliated by Dumbarton in the cup at home after about 7 months without a win at Stark's or getting truly tanked by a woeful Morton side 5-0 at Cappielow.

For the former It was a freezing cold winter afternoon, it was a shite game where we lost to a lower league team who proceeded draw Celtic in the next round. The FFP absolutely slaughtered the players the following week too!

The Morton game was similarly dire. Absolutely pissing it down, with Grant Murray getting sent off. This left us with Craig Wedderburn in defence, and resulted in Peter Wetherston having an absolute field day against us. After getting back into the car at the end of the game, Burley's Scotland had been pumped off Wales too!

Which probably raises a topic of discussion for here. What would be the pishest game you've ever been to? I've only been going regularly for just over a decade now (which feels so much longer), but I'd have to say it'd be watching us get humiliated by Dumbarton in the cup at home after about 7 months without a win at Stark's or getting truly tanked by a woeful Morton side 5-0 at Cappielow.

For the former It was a freezing cold winter afternoon, it was a shite game where we lost to a lower league team who proceeded draw Celtic in the next round. The FFP absolutely slaughtered the players the following week too!

The Morton game was similarly dire. Absolutely pissing it down, with Grant Murray getting sent off. This left us with Craig Wedderburn in defence, and resulted in Peter Wetherston having an absolute field day against us. After getting back into the car at the end of the game, Burley's Scotland had been pumped off Wales too!

Vs Dundee a few years back. Sure it was the New Years game. Dundee won 1-0 I am sure. It was probably the worst experience of my life. The game was terrible. I was so hungover and only went at the last minute. It's the coldest I have ever been at a football game too.

It maybe wasn't actually the pishest game but it sure felt like it

The 7-1 drubbing against Ross County wasn't particularly pleasant viewing. Hilarious antics from the defence with Ramiro Gonzalez in goal. Think we conceded 2 identical free kicks as well. Murder.

Some of those defeats in the "Anelka" reign were woeful as well. Easily too many to remember on the whole. Certainely a lot of poor, poor performances since I started regularly following the club in 1995 ( I was a cup final child)

One of the Best performances on the top of my head was the 4-1 demolition of Hamilton and New Douglas park. Should have been more as well. With Paquito hitting the bar from what seemed like the half way line.

Paquito was easily one of the best players to ever wear the colours. A class act.

The 5-2 pumping off Dunfermline a few weeks before the cup final wasn't very good. Raymond Allan was absolutely pathetic in that game, the highlights are on YouTube if you're a bit of a masochist.

I remember a trip to Rugby Park, where I believe George Mcgeachie got sent off, Tom Carson went off injured, and Davie Sinclair had to deputise in goals. We lost 5-1 I think, a dreadful afternoon and a bloody long journey home. Torture.

I actually think an absolute pumping is preferable to a loss in a game that's just bereft of anything.

For example, do you remember McGlynn's last season when Dundee had a man sent off, and we delivered a masterclass on how not to play against ten men?

A 1-0 defeat with barely any chances created against a team that played for the majority of the game a man down. It was infuriating.

That season featured some truly wretched games of football.

I remember a trip to Rugby Park, where I believe George Mcgeachie got sent off, Tom Carson went off injured, and Davie Sinclair had to deputise in goals. We lost 5-1 I think, a dreadful afternoon and a bloody long journey home. Torture

if memory serves me right that was our first game back after munich.another memory of games against kilmarnock,remember being 4-0 up at half time at rugby park,ended up drawing 4-4.having followed the rovers for nearly 5 decades i`ve seen my fair share of p*sh

i`ll throw another one in, a 5-2 horsing by caley on a cauld pissing down of rain wednesday night in inverness

Queens Park away 0-2 - Scottish Cup I think, Dalziel's team

Jed Stirling

Davo & Silvestro midfield

Eddie Annand, Emilio Jaconelli, Neil Jablonski

I mean, WTF!!!

Saw a supporter throw his scarf on the pitch in disgust, then ask a steward for it back after the final whistle :lol:

Aye, it was our promotion season, although we definitely got annihilated at Rugby Park just after the Bayern game as well.

Our record in Ayrshire in general was hopeless for quite a while.

is that the game gus mcpherson went in goals when their keeper was sent off? 1-0 up against 10 men and gus in goals and got beat 5-1 in the end

Ah I'd forgotten about Gus going in goals. I remember thinking we'd claw it back when he went in but I don't think we managed to create a single chance in the 25mins he was in the sticks!

To make matters worse, the supporters bus broke down on the way home!

Billy McNeil scored the other goal in the 9-2 win.

We had to write about something amazing in primary school the following Monday so wrote about the Rovers game.

I remember the 5-1 game in 1993, think the media were giving it big licks about our bottle crashing........

George McCluskey scored a hatrick past Sinky.

Meadowbank was a crap place to watch football, made worse by Terry Christies off side arctics, and inability to score from open play.

Highlight there was seeing my brother volley a rancid pie 20 yards and straight into a bin.

Edited by Whistle Blower