Who's Going To Uni?

Are all the Politics students raging left wingers?

I feel like a Daily Mail columnist for being more in the centre :unsure:

I did politics and I'm not. I heard some amount of rubbish from left wing folk in my tutorials tho - apparently Obama is 'almost a God' - umm no he's Hilary Clinton with a pair of bollocks and black skin......

Did anyone else notice the work load increasingly dramatically when they moved into second year?

No, I have found this year a piss walk compared to last year, well not yet, but come January, I'll only be doing 4 subjects.

The increased options in my coursemeans the godawful fucking pretentious clique I was in last year is fragmenting. Thank f**k, I can actually talk to some people on my course without some pretentious arse/privately educated fuckwit who thinks they know everything butting in about someone they've heard of doing a concerto of a work of a composer that was alive at the same time as the one we mentioned in the last lecture.

and before anyone asks, yes. I am drunk.

I did politics and I'm not. I heard some amount of rubbish from left wing folk in my tutorials tho - apparently Obama is 'almost a God' - umm no he's Hilary Clinton with a pair of bollocks and black skin......

Why would anyone with a left-wing perspective support Obama?

That's like saying the new North Korean leader is a raging Thatcherite.

Quite, but I'm sure you'll have had the same experience of me with Politics in that at least half of the students taking it are a rug, hamper, food and drink short of a picnic.

No, I have found this year a piss walk compared to last year, well not yet, but come January, I'll only be doing 4 subjects.

The increased options in my coursemeans the godawful fucking pretentious clique I was in last year is fragmenting. Thank f**k, I can actually talk to some people on my course without some pretentious arse/privately educated fuckwit who thinks they know everything butting in about someone they've heard of doing a concerto of a work of a composer that was alive at the same time as the one we mentioned in the last lecture.

and before anyone asks, yes. I am drunk.

You could just leave :huh:

So how often are you working a week then?

Quite, but I'm sure you'll have had the same experience of me with Politics in that at least half of the students taking it are a rug, hamper, food and drink short of a picnic.

I've had the same experience (pretty much) and I don't think that. Maybe I'm in the 'at least half'. :unsure:

I'm leaning towards dropping politics next year and taking business to honours (if I make it).

Currently in a lab for my interactive systems class. I am clueless, actually have no idea what I'mmeant to be doing.

Thank f**k I'm good at the Maths stuff, not too fussed if I fail this, it's only an elective.

If you're in a lab, then doubtless there are lab assistants walking about? Or at least a tutor? If you don't know what you're doing, then ASK someone! Thats what they are paid for. It grinds my gears when I see people who blatantly don't have a clue, and yet when a tutor asks, they say everything is fine.

If you're in a lab, then doubtless there are lab assistants walking about? Or at least a tutor? If you don't know what you're doing, then ASK someone! Thats what they are paid for. It grinds my gears when I see people who blatantly don't have a clue, and yet when a tutor asks, they say everything is fine.

Last time I did that he pretty much wrote the code and left me to it, still none the wiser. I'm going to go back and look over all the lecture notes and hope I can figure it out better.

Last time I did that he pretty much wrote the code and left me to it, still none the wiser. I'm going to go back and look over all the lecture notes and hope I can figure it out better.

Can you not book time with your tutors/lecturers and ask them to explain things to you? It's all very well them telling you "this is what you do", but if you don't know why you're doing it, you'll not actually learn anything from it. I would imagine time constraints in tutorials and lab sessions mean that they don't have the luxury of going and explaining things to each particular student in a way that makes sense to them, but our lecturers are great in that, if there is something you're struggling with, you can email them or ask for an appointment to go over it.

Can you not book time with your tutors/lecturers and ask them to explain things to you? It's all very well them telling you "this is what you do", but if you don't know why you're doing it, you'll not actually learn anything from it. I would imagine time constraints in tutorials and lab sessions mean that they don't have the luxury of going and explaining things to each particular student in a way that makes sense to them, but our lecturers are great in that, if there is something you're struggling with, you can email them or ask for an appointment to go over it.

I agree with Miss D, I do quite a lot of hours, and whenever I help someone, I try to make sure that they understand what they are doing, and I often offer to explain it to them in my own time if they are really struggling. Sometimes though, we really struggle when the class is busy, so what you should do is call over the guy who just gave you the code, and explain that you don't understand what it means. Often, they are happy to help!

You could just leave :huh:

So how often are you working a week then?

I think I must have been having a bad day when I wrote that - I've made some good friends on my course, but there are a bunch of tossers that turn it into a wanky clique. I try to avoid them specifically nowadays.

If that last bit was directed at me too, 13 hours of contact time a week, which will drop to 8 in the 2nd semester. Workload is variable. I think I've got quite a sweet deal, although there are too many early starts for my liking. You dying under a pile of work right now?

Edited by Mushroom

I agree with Miss D, I do quite a lot of hours, and whenever I help someone, I try to make sure that they understand what they are doing, and I often offer to explain it to them in my own time if they are really struggling. Sometimes though, we really struggle when the class is busy, so what you should do is call over the guy who just gave you the code, and explain that you don't understand what it means. Often, they are happy to help!

I think I'll do that if I'm still struggling after going through everything again.

I think I just found what I'm going to spend Saturday doing.

I noticed that within one tutorial <_<

Somehow we got onto the subject of sectarianism :blink:

Person 1: "Sectarianism is the biggest problem to society in Glasgow."

Me: "It's not really that big a problem. It's confined to a minority of people and in the grand scheme of things it isn't that problematic."

Person 1: "You aren't from Glasgow so hoe can you possibly comment on sectarianism? Do you even know who Ranger and Celtic are?"

Me: *facepalm*

I noticed that within one tutorial <_<

Somehow we got onto the subject of sectarianism :blink:

Person 1: "Sectarianism is the biggest problem to society in Glasgow."

Me: "It's not really that big a problem. It's confined to a minority of people and in the grand scheme of things it isn't that problematic."

Person 1: "You aren't from Glasgow so hoe can you possibly comment on sectarianism? Do you even know who Ranger and Celtic are?"

Me: *facepalm*

Welcome to Politics discussion :D

Where, in my experience, everyone hates David Cameron but no one can tell you why except because he's a 'Tory b*****d'

Welcome to Politics discussion :D

Where, in my experience, everyone hates David Cameron but no one can tell you why except because he's a 'Tory b*****d'

I don't particularly agree with Cameron or the Conservatives but I am very good at playing the devil's advocate in arguments so I will be able to have fun with the arguments of others. Although we do have a Conservative girl in my tutorial who decided to tell us that "there are a lot of stupid people in Scotland who don't vote Tory because of Thatcher". When asked to lose the blue-tinted specs and look at it from both points of view by my fine self, she decided to go for the "it's my ball and I'm no playing anymore" approach by telling me that she couldn't look at it because she wasn't living during that time period.

In all honesty I am quite looking forward to a bit of debate. Our next tutorial is on "Power" and I think the discussion in that will be quite entertaining interesting.

Currently up writing an essay, the second of two due this week. I didn't finish the last one until 8:30 AM, and by the looks of things this one won't be much better. How depressing.

They've also both been really shit. I had a class test (written French assignment) on Monday, followed by these two essays. The same thing happens again later on this semster. It's like my modules have decided to line up and gang rape me!