Who's Going To Uni?

You know what pisses me off?

When people book computer labs for lessons and there's only ten people sitting in a room with forty computers.

Then you can't get a computer in the other labs for folk farting about on Facebook and YouTube.

Due to the massive overcrowding in the Politics lectures at Glasgow, alluded to earlier in the thread, they are now introducing a recording of the lecture on the course webiste.

I think all subjects should do this, the faculty would claim that nobody would go to lectures but attendance is not the intended purpose, education is and a recording can provide this as well as a lecture could, certainly in my experience. Given the massive increase in students it would be folly to keep building bigger and bigger lecture theatres when you can just provide the information electronically and save on travel costs, upkeep costs and, if it needs to come into the argument, some wishy washy crap about helping the environment.

Particularly in first year, some people will just not attend lectures for whatever reason, providing them electronically means they can be accessed at any time and they are more likely - although still not very likely - to listen to/view the material.

Obviously lectures are a form of teaching that has been in place for millenia but education is evolving, and lecturers themselves often admit to the problems associated with the current method.

Aye, it's a belting idea. Two of my subjects are recorded although one of the subjects won't have the recordings up until exam period. Mega convenient as shall be missing a few due to other shizz on.

When people book computer labs for lessons and there's only ten people sitting in a room with forty computers.

Then you can't get a computer in the other labs for folk farting about on Facebook and YouTube.

Happens at least twice a week. It's a b*****d.

You are allowed to throw people off who fart about on facebook and youtube. And the labs can't be helped, they get prebooked before numbers are confirmed.

I'd love it if my lectures were recorded. I have had a few dentist/orthodontist appointments that have had to be worked around uni to avoid missing classes. Also I'm missing a week of classes next week as I'm going away on holiday. Would be good if I didn't really miss anything while I was away

I'm doing radiography and I'm going on placement next month - my preferred choices were 1) Monklands, 2) Hairmyres or 3) Royal Infirmary, so they give me 4) Wishaw General <_<

Ah, the remedial student. :lol:

Got my timetable, three lectures a week... Monday, Thursday and Friday afternoons. Then the rest of the time can be spent investing the anti-pollutant qualities of BioChar. :D

I'd love it if my lectures were recorded. I have had a few dentist/orthodontist appointments that have had to be worked around uni to avoid missing classes. Also I'm missing a week of classes next week as I'm going away on holiday. Would be good if I didn't really miss anything while I was away

£19, give it to your fellow classmates or lecturers... what's complicated about that? :blink:

Due to the massive overcrowding in the Politics lectures at Glasgow, alluded to earlier in the thread, they are now introducing a recording of the lecture on the course website.

I think all subjects should do this, the faculty would claim that nobody would go to lectures but attendance is not the intended purpose, education is and a recording can provide this as well as a lecture could, certainly in my experience. Given the massive increase in students it would be folly to keep building bigger and bigger lecture theatres when you can just provide the information electronically and save on travel costs, upkeep costs and, if it needs to come into the argument, some wishy washy crap about helping the environment.

Particularly in first year, some people will just not attend lectures for whatever reason, providing them electronically means they can be accessed at any time and they are more likely - although still not very likely - to listen to/view the material.

Obviously lectures are a form of teaching that has been in place for millennia but education is evolving, and lecturers themselves often admit to the problems associated with the current method.

The recordings are very good. No substitute for dual interaction if you want to ask a lecturer a question, but let's just say it's earned me plenty of extra hours in bed in the morning.

Would never happen in the Law School at Glasgow. The prevailing view seems to be that those not turning up to lectures don't deserve the benefit of the content covered and that they should have to read it all up themselves.

Were you in a computer lab when you wrote this?

The recordings are very good. No substitute for dual interaction if you want to ask a lecturer a question, but let's just say it's earned me plenty of extra hours in bed in the morning.

Would never happen in the Law School at Glasgow. The prevailing view seems to be that those not turning up to lectures don't deserve the benefit of the content covered and that they should have to read it all up themselves.

I've never asked a lecturer questions.

Social sciences is full of wasters though <_<

A left society leaflet was handed to me today describing a meeting that happened 2 weeks ago. The leaflet started with

HOW TO END GLOBAL CLIMATE CATASTROPHE...

...attend our meetings. Then some pish about how climate change activism will crush capitalism.

Wonder if it worked.

Not nearly as bad as Campus claiming their guest DJ Danny Dyer was an A list Hollywood Actor.

You are allowed to throw people off who fart about on facebook and youtube. And the labs can't be helped, they get prebooked before numbers are confirmed.

I've told plenty of people to shut up because they're giggling away at some stupid YouTube clip while I'm trying to type up notes or something like that, but I don't have any authority to throw anyone off.

Got a bit of mass that laddie, plus the hair is some fucked up sentient mutant from a sci-fi B-movie all of itself, you wouldnae mess like.

If what I've heard is true, if ever XBL stormed into a room telling me to get off a computer I'd do what I was fucking told.

Yes, this is pretty much exactly what I'm getting at :lol:

Have you ever met, or even seen, XBL?

No, but you make it sound like some kind of club or something. Maybe he should host a meet and greet session.

Got a bit of mass that laddie, plus the hair is some fucked up sentient mutant from a sci-fi B-movie all of itself, you wouldnae mess like.

I definitely want to see it now.