Who's Going To Uni?

Back on topic..........

I'm going, hopefully to dundee to do Architecture with geography :D Hope i get in! I've being grafting my baws aff to do extra work placements and classes!

Random! Would have been better at Strathy for that combination I would have thought!

But I do like the transfer from an one horse town to one where they eat horses. :P

Random! Would have been better at Strathy for that combination I would have thought!

But I do like the transfer from an one horse town to one where they eat horses. :P

I don't like the atmoshere of Strathy :( besides going to dundee means that i get to leave home!

Six hours of teaching ahead of me today, including four hours straight of being in charge of labs! :D

Still teaching in your third year? I've culled my stuff teaching stuff massively. Finally got most, if not all, of my stuff working now, just a case of getting enough results together to form a paper - should ahve enough seperate material for two or three papers and hopefully done by january.

On the down side, a side project I've been playing with and not touched in about a month and a bit* and currently paying a wee bit more attention to, realised I've royally fucked something up, trying to rectify quickly on my day off.

* In my defnece, it's a project with another lecturer who took it on through a company, they don't need it until next april, and the two guys form the company involved both moved on - so it's reasonable to assume it's on the backburner for them I'd guess.

Still teaching in your third year? I've culled my stuff teaching stuff massively. Finally got most, if not all, of my stuff working now, just a case of getting enough results together to form a paper - should ahve enough seperate material for two or three papers and hopefully done by january.

They're going to stop paying me soon, so its a case of accumulating as many hours as I can in order to be able to eat over the winter. I'm in a similar position to you. Most of my stuff working, just need a paper, and the thesis writing is underway. Done by spring I hope.

Anyone at Strathclyde know what the deal is in regards to regestering etc for second year? Done the online registration on pegasus however thought I might have been sent some kind of info in regards to timetables and the like by now?

Mine was fourth year, but it'll be the same.

The timetables are dependant on department, Civil Engineering sent out there draft timetables last week. Don't ask why we're tied in with the tape measures but there's not that many students to deal with I suppose.

You'd be best sending a quick email to your advisor of studies, as they will tell you where/when you'll find your information.

:lol:

Seriously? You were in one of my classes today? If I said anything offensive, I probably didn't mean it!

Genuinely, yes I was! I can't think of anything offensive you said, but I'll be sure to look out for something next week. :P

Genuinely, yes I was! I can't think of anything offensive you said, but I'll be sure to look out for something next week. :P

One of the it skills classes I'm guessing, if it is I hope you enjoyed my welcome speech!

Edited to add, and I'm sure that if needed you'll be able to paint a glowing picture of my teaching abilities! :P

Edited by xbl

One of the it skills classes I'm guessing, if it is I hope you enjoyed my welcome speech!

Edited to add, and I'm sure that if needed you'll be able to paint a glowing picture of my teaching abilities! :P

Hmm, maybe I'll reserve judgement! :P

Yep, the Foondy module that I need to take as part of Education to tick some boxes.

Hmm, maybe I'll reserve judgement! :P

Yep, the Foondy module that I need to take as part of Education to tick some boxes.

Aye, thats the same deal for most of the people in that class, it seems like a decent class you're in though, they could be fun!

Do you need to have CampusNet on your laptop, or do you just need to bash in a WiFi password?

With absolute honesty, in just over 2 years at Uni, I've been in the library for a combined total of about 20 minutes, over 4 or 5 visits.

My grades are poor.

You know what, I have absolutely no idea. I'd imagine a quick question at the Info desk in library will sort out all issues.

On, for example, a week where 2-3 essays are due, it wouldn't be that unreasonable.

Most of the time, I can't see myself spending much more than 20 hours in a given week in the library, and probably about 25-30 hours including formal classes.

As an example, preparation for a 2 hour seminar can involve as much as 100 pages of minimum reading (plus say 20 pages of the recommended reading) which will take me about 2-3 hours on and off, completion of 3 tasks, each which take up to 2 or so hours. That is a comfortable 8-10 hours preparing for that.

Then I'll have shorter tutorials for other classes (granted, on alternating weeks). Typically they will take 2-3 hours each to prepare for properly, including adequate reading. That's easily 6 hours-worth.

Then there will, periodically, be assignments to be handed in and assessed. I like to be thorough when I complete these, so that might involve 4-5 hours solid work on any given assignment.

20 hours' personal study in addition to 14 hours of classes is not outrageous.

I really admire your dedication. My mate done around that amount for his masters. Doing it in 2nd year will stand yourself in good stead for the years ahead. Do you have a job away from your studies? Reading 100 pages per seminar is an unbeleviable amount. Like the other lads, I could never spend that amount of time on my studies. Mainly because I have a job, coaching commitments, a shite fitba' team to follow and I'm a lazy b*****d.