Who's Going To Uni?

If he wants to work hard to get ahead, then what is the problem? Its no different from a Computing Student having a couple wee side projects on the go (say, designing a website, working on his own code). In an age of people scraping minimum passes and trying to do as little as possible, its nice to see someone actually put some effort in.

Yes. I am teaching classes again this semester, ten hours of them!

Didn't you read my previous reply? Working hard is gay.

Consider yourself taught, 'teacher'.

But come on, 30 hours a week in the library? That's over 4 hours a day, assuming he's including weekends.

That's a tad excessive for 2nd year.

I suspect there may be some exaggeration, and I wouldn't expect it to be every week, or maybe he's a slow reader. Not an insult btw, some people just read faster than others! I'd call it excessive, but if thats what he wants to do then so be it. If I was to break up my undergrad years for (say) second year and not include timetabled time, then you have

Computing, 2 Tutorials a week, so maybe 2 hours preparation for each. An hour and a bit before to work through the questions, and then a bit of time afterwards to ensure I understood. Then you had 4 labs a week (I can't remember the exact number for each course), so then an extra 2 hours, half an hour for each one, to make sure I was finished and happy with them. Then you had maths, which had weekly "homework", which was fucking difficult, so 4 hours for that! So thats 10 hours, and I wasn't really that hard a worker. During assignment time it went absolutely mental, with all nighters and long shifts, where 30 hours would be relatively normal for our class.

So sure, his numbers are high, but they aren't exactly off the scale. I did a history course in first year, and so, so much time was spent reading stuff.

Anyway, considering the PhD related tantrum you threw a few months back in response to some light hearted ribbing, I think you're the LAST person who should be commenting!

Edited by xbl

Didn't you read my previous reply? Working hard is gay.

Consider yourself taught, 'teacher'.

I expect my students to work hard, otherwise they get insulted! :D

I live in fear that one day I'll teach a class featuring a GN poster, and my whole mythos will be shattered.

But come on, 30 hours a week in the library? That's over 4 hours a day, assuming he's including weekends.

That's a tad excessive for 2nd year.

On, for example, a week where 2-3 essays are due, it wouldn't be that unreasonable.

Most of the time, I can't see myself spending much more than 20 hours in a given week in the library, and probably about 25-30 hours including formal classes.

As an example, preparation for a 2 hour seminar can involve as much as 100 pages of minimum reading (plus say 20 pages of the recommended reading) which will take me about 2-3 hours on and off, completion of 3 tasks, each which take up to 2 or so hours. That is a comfortable 8-10 hours preparing for that.

Then I'll have shorter tutorials for other classes (granted, on alternating weeks). Typically they will take 2-3 hours each to prepare for properly, including adequate reading. That's easily 6 hours-worth.

Then there will, periodically, be assignments to be handed in and assessed. I like to be thorough when I complete these, so that might involve 4-5 hours solid work on any given assignment.

20 hours' personal study in addition to 14 hours of classes is not outrageous.

Edited by Ad Lib

I expect my students to work hard, otherwise they get insulted! :D

I live in fear that one day I'll teach a class featuring a GN poster, and my whole mythos will be shattered.

If I was in one of your classes, I'd bring in cheesy wotsits and eat them all through your lessons. ;)

You are a phd student aren't you? I remember them being hit and miss when I was a student, some of them were excellent and really put thought and effort into seminars, some of them were useless and clearly weren't cut out for teaching. I suppose the lecturers were the same really - some of them were marking time while writing books and comment pieces, which was irritating.

You are a phd student aren't you? I remember them being hit and miss when I was a student, some of them were excellent and really put thought and effort into seminars, some of them were useless and clearly weren't cut out for teaching.

I'm fucking brilliant. As assessed by those end of semester questionnaires, I get more positive feedback than anyone else in the department. 8)

Unlike some I do a proper degree when actual work needs done most weeks.

Do you consider medicine at Glasgow a proper degree?

I have to say, its a tragic snapshot of our society where we insult people for having the temerity to work hard.

There is a major distinction between "working hard" and "being a loser".

A quote on P & B from Vikington has never struck me as being representative of a whole society.

At least not until the revolution.

Well I've checked with a friend of mine who is doing said course and she doesn't spend even remotely that amount of time in a library. She's going into third year and - crucial point here - isn't a loser.

Congratulations. I also happen to know a considerable contingent at Edinburgh University doing Medicine, and whilst they don't spend as long doing private study in the library, they have a much higher number of classes than the lecture/tutorial sandwich Law or Arts based studends have, because of labs and placements at ERI.

So it's six of one and half a dozen of the other, really.

New library at Stirling is pretty good. Taken my laptop up a few times and it is a decent place for working. Campus.net is being utter shite though, I had to format my laptop the day before heading back through. Not only did I have issues with getting campus.net installed but my network socket turned out to be fucked too. mad.gif

On the upside, I saw Enigma yesterday! biggrin.gif

Well I've checked with a friend of mine who is doing said course and she doesn't spend even remotely that amount of time in a library. She's going into third year and - crucial point here - isn't a loser.

There is a major distinction between "working hard" and "being a loser".

From the sounds of it, you don't spend anything like that amount of time in the library, and yet...