Who's Going To Uni?

What do people prefer, lectures or tutorials?

I definitely think tutorials are much better, it's good to get some proper debate on what you're studying with other people that genuinely are interested in what they're doing.

Geez, I'm a geek.

I finally registered today and I got my timetable yesterday. Apparently I can't sort out any HMR tutorials until next Tuesday after my first lecture <_< I have to do 4 subjects for Semester 1 so I opted for Geography in addition to History, Politics and HMR. So far I have a whole Wednesday free but I'm sure that will change after next Tuesday. I start every other day at 10am.

All is good in the first year hood.

I finally registered today and I got my timetable yesterday. Apparently I can't sort out any HMR tutorials until next Tuesday after my first lecture <_< I have to do 4 subjects for Semester 1 so I opted for Geography in addition to History, Politics and HMR. So far I have a whole Wednesday free but I'm sure that will change after next Tuesday. I start every other day at 10am.

Wow, that sounds horrific :unsure:

4 subjects in a semester, nice and easy for you.

Although having to sort out tutorials is something I've never had to do, always been told where/when to go... not that I went to many of them as they are fairly pointless if you know what you're doing. They are only really needed towards exam time to catch up on anything you may have missed.

Wow, that sounds horrific :unsure:

Hmm that's what I thought. Although I don't need to actually study for Geography as I'm only in it until Christmas, so I'll just treat it as an opportunity to gain some additional knowledge without needing to work particularly hard.

I'm going to use the Pegasus thing tomorrow to e-mail the adviser for the Business school faculty to find out if I can sign up for tutorials before Tuesday. ie - by e-mail.

I can only hope.

Due to the massive overcrowding in the Politics lectures at Glasgow, alluded to earlier in the thread, they are now introducing a recording of the lecture on the course webiste.

I think all subjects should do this, the faculty would claim that nobody would go to lectures but attendance is not the intended purpose, education is and a recording can provide this as well as a lecture could, certainly in my experience. Given the massive increase in students it would be folly to keep building bigger and bigger lecture theatres when you can just provide the information electronically and save on travel costs, upkeep costs and, if it needs to come into the argument, some wishy washy crap about helping the environment.

Particularly in first year, some people will just not attend lectures for whatever reason, providing them electronically means they can be accessed at any time and they are more likely - although still not very likely - to listen to/view the material.

Obviously lectures are a form of teaching that has been in place for millenia but education is evolving, and lecturers themselves often admit to the problems associated with the current method.