Who's Going To Uni?

Also add the "last one to post here wins"* thread and, of course, the pun thread to this list.

*Two guys that stay in the same fucking house posting UTTER FUCKING SHITE to each other, Jesus Christ.

You are ruining this thread <_<

I feel I'm on top of my assignments, got one due tomorrow and another group project for next Thursday.

Without much feedback I don't really know how I'm doing but I am certainly working a lot harder than last year.

Glasgow doesn't even give bank holidays, October week?! One long break then ball bursting torture for most of the rest of it.

Edited by Supras

Not really sure whether I should post this in this thread or not but I am in an absolutely horrible mood because of Uni.

It is just not for me. I had a feeling I wasn't going to enjoy it but after pressure from my parents, social group and most importantly, my school I applied and worked my arse off in 6th year to get in, but now I am there I am not enjoying it at all. I have never really found academia that stimulating but my school basically forced me to apply. I don't like the fact they put so much pressure on you and basically say that we aren't going to get anywhere in life without a degree. Not applying for Uni was almost seen as criminal and those who weren't applying were basically left to fend for themselves.

I am really considering leaving because it just isn't for me at all. I have always been more stimulated by the drama/ music side of school but I am in no way deluded enough to think I could forge a career out of those hobbies, but I know i would be much happier appearing in stupid plays occasionally and doing gigs while doing the part time job I am currently in than doing a degree and living in poverty for a year or so because there are no job opportunities out there.

Uni, for me, isn't intellectually satisfying and it is depressing me. I know when I tell my mum that I'm not enjoying it and want to leave she will automatically assume that I am leaving because I want to go out drinking and have loads of money from my job and I can't be bothered with the arguments.

I'm in first year and doing a social science degree, incase anyone cares, and politics is the only thing that is interesting me, but i don't need a degree to watch the news.

Is/has anyone else feeling/felt the same about uni?

If so what are you planning/what did you do?

Edited by Stuart

Not really sure whether I should post this in this thread or not but I am in an absolutely horrible mood because of Uni.

It is just not for me. I had a feeling I wasn't going to enjoy it but after pressure from my parents, social group and most importantly, my school I applied and worked my arse off in 6th year to get in, but now I am there I am not enjoying it at all. I have never really found academia that stimulating but my school basically forced me to apply. I don't like the fact they put so much pressure on you and basically say that we aren't going to get anywhere in life without a degree. Not applying for Uni was almost seen as criminal and those who weren't applying were basically left to fend for themselves.

I am really considering leaving because it just isn't for me at all. I have always been more stimulated by the drama/ music side of school but I am in no way deluded enough to think I could forge a career out of those hobbies, but I know i would be much happier appearing in stupid plays occasionally and doing gigs while doing the part time job I am currently in than doing a degree and living in poverty for a year or so because there are no job opportunities out there.

Uni, for me, isn't intellectually satisfying and it is depressing me. I know when I tell my mum that I'm not enjoying it and want to leave she will automatically assume that I am leaving because I want to go out drinking and have loads of money from my job and I can't be bothered with the arguments.

I'm in first year and doing a social science degree, incase anyone cares, and politics is the only thing that is interesting me, but i don't need a degree to watch the news.

University only gets harder, if you are lacking motivation in first year then I would say it's not for you and there is no point in doing something that depresses you. Thistle Do Nicely quit uni in second or third year because he wasn't enjoying it, if you know now there is no point in treading water, get out.

Don't worry about your parents, my mum really pushed me to apply to uni in 5th year and I did so reluctantly but it helped me in the long term. They probably wan the best for you and if they know you were depressed they would also want you to leave. Don't worry about the arguments, just say what you said here and you should be fine. And by the way, I'm in uni and have lots of money and drink all the time <_<

Nobody on this thread can tell you want to do, and it's frankly hilarious I can offer anyone advice, but from the above uni really isn't for you and you won't get far if you aren't motivated. And if it does come to the arguments, be a fucking man and face it, they will be a lot more understanding than you think.

For most of this post I thought it was the more prolific P&B poster "Stuart."

You really have to just do what you want to do. Too many people get pushed into doing degrees when they clearly don't want to be there, don't have any interest, and its a complete waste of time for all concerned. If it isn't for you, then just leave, or you'll end up properly miserable!

I'll first pick up on the music/drama side of things because its a very seperate point - becoming a performer in either music or drama is stupidly difficult and requires a ludicrous amount of self discipline to make you practice for hours upon hours. However there are other options, I'm doing music and I know I am in no way capable of becoming a professional performer (unless I strike it lucky with a band) the careers I'm looking at right now are music teaching and music journalism, and I know there are alot of other options out there. For a start, any graduate job which does not specify what degree you are to have - which is about 70-80% of all graduate jobs or something stupid, I don't have the figures to hand.

These degrees are still very academic (I had loads of essays last year) sometimes with a practical element. If academia really isn't for you then these courses still might not suit you.

There is no shame in not being suited to academia though. People are good at different things, its all about finding a balance between what you enjoy, what you are good at and what you can make a living out of.

Your school was talking pish by the way, you can have good prospects without a degree, have you seen how much plumbers charge?

This is your future here, you have to make the call that is right for you. If your parents don't approve tell them where to shove it - you're a big boy now and can make your own decisions.

Cheers for the advice :)

I think my only real option is talking it through with people (including my parents) and taking all the advice on board.

I'm thinking of travelling for a year and then coming back.

It could turn out that Uni is actually for me and I'm just wanting to leave because I am there and think the grass is greener on the other side, but I really think that it is a mistake I'll have to make, because there is no way to find out without actually leaving. If it turns out it was a mistake, I can always go back to college/uni and work my way back in. I'm only 18 so time is definitely on my side

Again, thanks for the advice and I'll definitely take it on board in the coming weeks.

If only there was a degree in Pia and Bovril and Facebook, I'd get a 1st class every time.

Unfortunately, I'm sitting here trying to do tutorial work and am heavily distracted.

I'm exactly the same except I'm trying to do reading for an essay due in on Wednesday. My question is actually really interesting as well, it's on the rationality behind betting behaviour.

Who is this Richard J Findlay people speak of?

An inspiration to everyone who wants to live in a better world. He has moulded me into the person I am today-lazy, lecherous and a stranger to the concept of deadlines. It's only a matter of time before I start smoking and wearing a leather jacket. I have a lot to thank him for.

Cheers for the advice :)

I think my only real option is talking it through with people (including my parents) and taking all the advice on board.

I'm thinking of travelling for a year and then coming back.

It could turn out that Uni is actually for me and I'm just wanting to leave because I am there and think the grass is greener on the other side, but I really think that it is a mistake I'll have to make, because there is no way to find out without actually leaving. If it turns out it was a mistake, I can always go back to college/uni and work my way back in. I'm only 18 so time is definitely on my side

Again, thanks for the advice and I'll definitely take it on board in the coming weeks.

I went to uni after caving to similar pressures and spent 4 years utterly miserable, I switched courses after first year and left with a DipHE, I wish I had chucked it sooner as I ended up quite ill. I went back as a mature student and loved it but fell pregnant :ph34r: Hoping to go back next September to do nursing.

My advice would be to chuck it, go and do something else, you might come back to it in later life and enjoy it. No point being miserable as in the end it will effect you grades.

Edited by Rowan

Got a 2500 word essay on the reasons for Jacobite opposition to the Union for tomorrow... only 1000 words in. If only I had a direct line to Finlay for some inspiration. sad.gif

If you concentrate and focus your mind you will establish a telepathic link with The Great One. Then your problems will be solved.

Too many Irish.

Team: Heart of Midlothian

Yup.

As soon as Monday comes all I want is it for to be the weekend again. So I can play (occasionaly), watch and bet on football and hit the pub.

Amen to that. It's quite worrying how quickly I want the weeks to fly in.

An inspiration to everyone who wants to live in a better world. He has moulded me into the person I am today-lazy, lecherous and a stranger to the concept of deadlines. It's only a matter of time before I start smoking and wearing a leather jacket. I have a lot to thank him for.

I already have a red scarf. cool.gif

I have already begun asking myself "What would Richard Finlay do?" whenever I feel unsure about a situation. It's my new philosophy and it fits in nicely alongside my "What would Nick do?" philosophy.

Alongside? Ahem...

I see what you are saying but until the Richard Finlay and Nick Hewer love-child is born, it's just going to have to be two different philosophises co-existing alongside each other rather than one joint super-philosophy.