Who's Going To Uni?

Real men obey the System International d'unites.

Fucking French revolutionary with your shitty decidays and and kiloseconds.

It's fucking hours, minutes and seconds.

And while we're at it, it's fucking tonnes, stones, pounds and ounces, not these shitty "grams" and "kilograms" and "metric tonnes".

Aye and it's acres, not hectares; miles, yards, feet and inches not fucking "metres"; gallons, pints and fluid ounces not "litres".

Bring back base 12 currency and make the mathematically inept suffer I say.

Fucking French revolutionary with your shitty decidays and and kiloseconds.

It's fucking hours, minutes and seconds.

And while we're at it, it's fucking tonnes, stones, pounds and ounces, not these shitty "grams" and "kilograms" and "metric tonnes".

Aye and it's acres, not hectares; miles, yards, feet and inches not fucking "metres"; gallons, pints and fluid ounces not "litres".

Bring back base 12 currency and make the mathematically inept suffer I say.

In my line of work I often find trivial amusement in wondering what it would be like to measure things in nano-yards. Sigh.

In my line of work I often find trivial amusement in wondering what it would be like to measure things in nano-yards. Sigh.

:lol:

Stolen! Now I just need to find a conversation where I can drop that in, in context...

Hmm the Politics 'class discussion' forum is good at the moment on MyPlace. A couple of people complaining that they feel tutorial contribution marks are unfair because they haven't done as well as they thought they should have. Nobody from my tutorial group seems to be bitching about it though.

Edited by yoda

Last exam went not too badly: got the exact question that I was hoping for from section one and managed to twist one in section two in order for me to be able to give the answer I wanted to.

Overall, I'm just glad to be finished with this run of six exams in two weeks / four in five days.

Last exam tomorrow afternoon. Already got enough marks to pass the module so I'm not too fussed as long as I get a respectable mark for the exam. Just want to get it done and move home. I fucking hate Uni.

Just had my second last uni exam this morning - easy as feck!

Now to knuckle down and prepare for the hellish exam on Friday. Must not be distracted by Call of Duty for a wee while.... :ph34r:

Accounting is a piece of piss. I attended the introductory lecture, 1 seminar and revised 1 and a half past papers, using the answer sheet as study material, and I came out of the exam thinking I've passed easily.

Edited by Coooombe

History exam on Thursday. I feel I have done enough revision for the source question to do a good answer. However I'm fucked for the essay part because I don't know what to revise.

Looking at the May and August 2010 exam papers, there was a Thatcher question in both of those. Both also had a Cold War question, and a 'comparison' of WW1 and WW2 question. Would it be safe to revise only two of those topics?

He is commuting.

Driving or public transport? I take public transport from High Bonnybridge and it's a nightmare at times. Only one bus through to Stirling, which has a habit of being really early due to low demands and other times not showing up. Other than that, it's bus to Camelon, train to Stirling, bus to uni.

Accounting is a piece of piss. I attended the introductory lecture, 1 seminar and revised 1 and a half past papers, using the answer sheet as study material, and I came out of the exam thinking I've passed easily.

:huh:

At Stirling Uni, seminars are prescribed classes and you need to attend at least 2/3 of them to be given a grade at the end of the module - if you miss more than 1/3 of them*, you fail the module.

*You can miss more than 1/3 of them with good reason but I can't see them letting you away with missing 8 or 9!

:huh:

At Stirling Uni, seminars are prescribed classes and you need to attend at least 2/3 of them to be given a grade at the end of the module - if you miss more than 1/3 of them*, you fail the module.

*You can miss more than 1/3 of them with good reason but I can't see them letting you away with missing 8 or 9!

:lol: telt.

History exam on Thursday. I feel I have done enough revision for the source question to do a good answer. However I'm fucked for the essay part because I don't know what to revise.

Looking at the May and August 2010 exam papers, there was a Thatcher question in both of those. Both also had a Cold War question, and a 'comparison' of WW1 and WW2 question. Would it be safe to revise only two of those topics?

Do not study questions that might come up - study recurring/important themes and subject areas. The lectures are a good guide, and use past papers to reason which ones are asked frequently. 2010 papers on their own are not a good guide.

The best trick is to get a good knowledge of a theme (say World War 1) that can adapt to any question asked about it, because it probably won't be comparative, but could (presumably) be about the causes, or social effects.

Do that for a theme matching every essay needed plus one spare, maybe two if you have the interest and the time. A good turn of phrase from another historian will help, more importantly, getting some statistics to back up arguments is very useful.

Do not study questions that might come up - study recurring/important themes and subject areas. The lectures are a good guide, and use past papers to reason which ones are asked frequently. 2010 papers on their own are not a good guide.

The best trick is to get a good knowledge of a theme (say World War 1) that can adapt to any question asked about it, because it probably won't be comparative, but could (presumably) be about the causes, or social effects.

Do that for a theme matching every essay needed plus one spare, maybe two if you have the interest and the time. A good turn of phrase from another historian will help, more importantly, getting some statistics to back up arguments is very useful.

Would agree with this.

It's worked well for me so far (just finished second year) to study for exams by revising a few broad topics and restricting my notes to two sides of an A4 sheet for each of them: one side for facts, one for arguments. You've obviously got to be very selective with your note taking, but that should be the case anyway.

Once I've got those, I'll work my way through past paper questions to make sure that I can answer the questions that come up and do so within the required time. The night before the exam, I'll stop writing out full essays and just start bashing out loads of essay plans.

Not sure if this method'll continue to be effective when things start to get a bit more intense, but the lowest overall grade that I've had for a history module so far was 75% (Stirling Uni 2A).

It's worked well for me so far (just finished second year) to study for exams by revising a few broad topics and restricting my notes to two sides of an A4 sheet for each of them: one side for facts, one for arguments. You've obviously got to be very selective with your note taking, but that should be the case anyway.

Once I've got those, I'll work my way through past paper questions to make sure that I can answer the questions that come up and do so within the required time. The night before the exam, I'll stop writing out full essays and just start bashing out loads of essay plans.

Not sure if this method'll continue to be effective when things start to get a bit more intense, but the lowest overall grade that I've had for a history module so far was 75% (Stirling Uni 2A).

It sounds like a great deal more preparation than I put into it, I have an exam on Thursday and will only be going up tomorrow to get the rough plans and statistics sorted out. Then again i'm sitting on a good essay and presentation, so I'd need to fail the exam itself to have an issue, and it isn't a topic that I'll be returning to next year. I'll probably try that sort of method next year when the exams are going to be crucial.

I think in general revising is more straightforward as you move up as the subjects tend to get narrower. For example, for a Cold War Europe module, I knew in reality I only needed to study the origins and the end of the Cold War, because in any 10 question set on 45 years there will always be questions on those two periods. The change from year to year was in the perspective the question comes from.

I think the main change is in the coursework, there is a much greater demand to engage with primary material, more sources, thorough bibliographies and reference to the wider historical debate. Obviously in a time-limited exam you can't do all of that so the exams seem much more accommodating.

The coursework is building towards a dissertation and that's what the degree should be and probably is all about. So long as you continue working with the notes then the exams ought to continue at roughly the same level. They can only really ask you what the lecturer has set out in those modules, and how well you understand that material.

Edited by vikingTON