Who's Going To Uni?

How likely is it that a uni will drop the grade boundaries in an exam that has been done badly overall? Had one yesterday that I only need a high D in to guarantee I'll get into third year, but it was the most left-field and generally horrible exam I've ever sat and I'm worried I won't even manage that now. Well over a hundred people have said something similar about it on the course page, so I'm hoping (praying) they'll drop the boundaries if everyone's done poorly. Shitting myself that I'll have to redo the entire year because of one bad result.

How likely is it that a uni will drop the grade boundaries in an exam that has been done badly overall? Had one yesterday that I only need a high D in to guarantee I'll get into third year, but it was the most left-field and generally horrible exam I've ever sat and I'm worried I won't even manage that now. Well over a hundred people have said something similar about it on the course page, so I'm hoping (praying) they'll drop the boundaries if everyone's done poorly. Shitting myself that I'll have to redo the entire year because of one bad result.

Usually pretty likely. But then it depends on the uni and department, although in my experience of working in two education establishments (a college and a university) they have done exactly this.

What's Kennefick like as a lecturer, did you get him?

Had him in first year. From what I recall he was a good laugh and made the topics interesting. He largely focuses on Scotland in the early 20th century particularly around Red Clydeside and so on. Fairly sure he was the coordinator for dissertations as well so must be regarded as organised.

So much effort involved, though. Bet bet it's a long application too!

Anyone know if I can save my application progress? Or do I have to do it all in one sitting?

Nah, don't worry. This will be the 4th time I've had to apply (going into 4th year). You can come back to it whenever you want, as long as it's before the deadline. It's not all that long if you're going for the non-income assessed loan, otherwise be prepared for a gestapo style enquiry into your family's income.

Edited by DonnieDarko

On that SAAS related note, they started taking money off me the other day. This made me both very pleased and very sad. Albeit I worked out it'll take them 11 years to get all the money I owe back and it's hardly a large amount. Colleague of mines owes 25k cause he's English and they're taking the same amount off him as me, on the same (then) salary. It's a wonder the ever get it all back.

Had my award ceremony last week and officially now have an MSc from Birkbeck.

It was brutal juggling a job and studying but worth it.

I was the first graduate in my families history now I am the first postgraduate as well.

Had my first exam today. Politics - lecturer said the questions would be roughly the same as the essay questions s but they were the exact same more or less! That ended up throwing me initially bevause I expected some variation but in all a good start.

Got three history ones next week now on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday so that won't be a fun week.

After that i can relax til the end of June when I need to get a summary submitted for my dissertation which I am clueless about but cross that bridge when I come to it :P

On that SAAS related note, they started taking money off me the other day. This made me both very pleased and very sad. Albeit I worked out it'll take them 11 years to get all the money I owe back and it's hardly a large amount. Colleague of mines owes 25k cause he's English and they're taking the same amount off him as me, on the same (then) salary. It's a wonder the ever get it all back.

They don't come close I imagine. All outstanding loans are written off after 30 years (I think; it might be 35).

• 2 weeks later...

Going to Glasgow Uni to do Nursing and Healthcare in September! I was in Nepal and was meant to have a Skype interview with them the Monday after the earthquake struck, they took that as extenuating circumstances though. :lol: So got a face to face interview when I got back and got an unconditional. :) Does anyone have any recommendations about what accomodation to stay in in first year?

Going to Glasgow Uni to do Nursing and Healthcare in September! I was in Nepal and was meant to have a Skype interview with them the Monday after the earthquake struck, they took that as extenuating circumstances though. :lol: So got a face to face interview when I got back and got an unconditional. :) Does anyone have any recommendations about what accomodation to stay in in first year?

Does that mean you were one of the few people entitled to mark yourself as being safe on Facebook?

Murano is where I stayed in first year. Was a bit of a riot at times and our flat was by no means one of the worst ones. I had a great time but if thats not your thing I would suggest you consider elsewhere. If you are going for Murano I would recommend the small flats as all of the 10/12 person flats that I visited were an absolute state.