Who's Going To Uni?

I've been studying at Glasgow for about a semester and a half now and have heard a few folk on here going on about a 'Glasgow Uni accent' but I've yet to hear it.

Everyone I've met have accents that sound like where they are from.

I've never heard it either, I don't even know how it develops. I've been there for three years and my accent is still a rough as f**k Paisley accent which immediately exposes me as a pleb.

I've been told it might hinder me at interviews - pish.

And I don't know when it happened but why is every recent page on this thread dominated by how great is your uni pish? I really couldn't care less where people go, the only worthwhile indicator was the tidy burds one.

Edited by Supras

Absolutely. Strathclyde burds are pure great man.

Correction. Strathy business school burds are quality.

It's an important distinction as the engineering students are a bunch of mutant VL's and the females who study other subjects are not worth pursuing on account of their invisibility.

I chose Strathclyde due to its first class facilities

what.png

I've never heard it either, I don't even know how it develops. I've been there for three years and my accent is still a rough as f**k Paisley accent which immediately exposes me as a pleb.

I've been told it might hinder me at interviews - pish.

And I don't know when it happened but why is every recent page on this thread dominated by how great is your uni pish? I really couldn't care less where people go, the only worthwhile indicator was the tidy burds one.

off topic but is there a difference between the glasgow and paisley accent , aye myself have a broad glaswegian accent but i always thought that the accents were more or less the same huh.gif

I think it was made up by people that dropped out of school at 16 to do shite jobs and needed something to sustain their bitter angst towards people with an IQ over 100.

See Reynard.

I obviously made the wrong choice as I sit here in my five bedroom Victorian villa, master of all I survey counting my gold and jewels while a thick, plook faced working class runt who still lives with his mum gives out advice from the depth of his experience. dry.gif

I obviously made the wrong choice as I sit here in my five bedroom Victorian villa, master of all I survey counting my gold and jewels while a thick, plook faced working class runt who still lives with his mum gives out advice from the depth of his experience. <_<

Did Dickson give you his <_< face allowance when he got banned or something?

I obviously made the wrong choice as I sit here in my five bedroom Victorian villa, master of all I survey counting my gold and jewels while a thick, plook faced working class runt who still lives with his mum gives out advice from the depth of his experience. dry.gif

Rattled.

My mum makes me a packed lunch to take to you Uni, so the joke is on you, sir.

Edited by JamboMikey

People massively overplay it. There are those who have said accent, but they are a minority and they are almost entirely confined to the Queen Margaret Union.

I'm not even sure what people mean by the Glasgow Uni accent - is it this?

or is it just the generic private school accent. That's not something that happens at Glasgow Uni, it's just a demographic thing.

If it's the one Franscesca is parodying (is that a word? it should be) then I've found it to be just as prevalent at the GUU.

or is it just the generic private school accent. That's not something that happens at Glasgow Uni, it's just a demographic thing.

If it's the one Franscesca is parodying (is that a word? it should be) then I've found it to be just as prevalent at the GUU.

I went to a private school and I can't recall anyone I ever interacted with having that sort of accent.

Still, at least you're not bitter and seething about your wrong decision.

My exam timetable:

Tuesday 8th May (2pm-4pm)

Tuesday 15th May (9:30am-11:30am)

Thursday 17th May (2pm-4pm)

Not bad. I'm also trying to transfer to the Business School for third year but I won't hold my breath over that one.

And for the record the tidiness of girls goes:

1) Caley

2) Strathclyde

3) Glasgow Uni

Here to help.

Are you at Strathclyde?

I've just managed to do that for my honours year. I was doing Politics and Economics, just wanting to do the latter next year so managed to swap over thankfully. Avoided 3 years of MDP too!

QMUers are closer to the parody.

I went to a private school and I can't recall anyone I ever interacted with having that sort of accent.

Likewise. It's not a private school thing. Most of those I hear use it didn't go to private school.

Correction. Strathy business school burds are quality.

It's an important distinction as the engineering students are a bunch of mutant VL's and the females who study other subjects are not worth pursuing on account of their invisibility.

The enigineers are complete VL's, granted. You can't just confine yourself to the business girls though, you'll miss out on some talent by doing that.

Got my exam timetable yesterday + it's looking good: 10th, 18th and 23rd May. My 19th is on the 25th as well, superb. :)

I was about to post that she is the most annoying thing i have ever seen on the internet and then a few more clicks of some related videos I came across this video sad.gif

wtf is this mad.gif

No one actually talks like that do they? That must be put on.

I've heard a few folk with private school accents but nothing like that. Also, go to the QM every now and then for their pub quiz but can't say I've noticed a particular accent associated with the place. Generally people there seem to have middle class Scottish or English accents as far as I can tell. Nothing like the girl in that video.

Also, might be wrong on this but the GUU has always struck me as being more pretentious than the QMU. Seem to be more into rugby culture and old boys club tradition sort of things.

Then again I'm biased based on my first week here.

First night here some 'Freshers Helpers' came to our halls associated with the GUU. They brought out bottles of Vodka and were encouraging us to drink (because drinking a lot is a sign of a 'lad' apparently). We quite happily had a few drinks whilst they explained the events then got us to play beer pong. We duly joined them for a game and two of the three GUU helpers, the ones who had come and been really forceful about binge drinking, spewed up in our kitchen.

Felt like some cheek a couple of Jack Wills jogger clad young boys (can't have been older than 19) coming into our kitchen acting like they were fantastically important human beings based on their ability to consume alcohol ended up spewing in our kitchen.

Didn't even clean it up.

The QMU people didn't really do anything but chat to us, but they were more relaxed and didn't seem to try to measure someone's worth based on how much they like to drink. Think it formed a bias in my mind.

It's an important distinction as the engineering students are a bunch of mutant VL's

The enigineers are complete VL's, granted.

Perhaps in other years, but out of the 15ish girls in my year of Civil/Architectural Engineering, only one of them isn't hot.

I should say, that you both come off as absolute cocks from the other sentences in the posts.

Also, might be wrong on this but the GUU has always struck me as being more pretentious than the QMU. Seem to be more into rugby culture and old boys club tradition sort of things.

The rugby club are banned from the GUU...

First night here some 'Freshers Helpers' came to our halls associated with the GUU. They brought out bottles of Vodka and were encouraging us to drink (because drinking a lot is a sign of a 'lad' apparently). We quite happily had a few drinks whilst they explained the events then got us to play beer pong. We duly joined them for a game and two of the three GUU helpers, the ones who had come and been really forceful about binge drinking, spewed up in our kitchen.

Felt like some cheek a couple of Jack Wills jogger clad young boys (can't have been older than 19) coming into our kitchen acting like they were fantastically important human beings based on their ability to consume alcohol ended up spewing in our kitchen.

Didn't even clean it up.

The QMU people didn't really do anything but chat to us, but they were more relaxed and didn't seem to try to measure someone's worth based on how much they like to drink. Think it formed a bias in my mind.

Sounds like you got a rogue couple of helpers tbh. There's a few dickheads but for the most part the GUU lot are pretty sound.

Didn't even clean it up.

Speaking of which I was thinking of joining the GUU freshers helpers next year, having not voluntarily ventured to the QMU in about 2 years.