Who's Going To Uni?

Diddy essays only count in diddy subjects like sociology in 1st year.

I've finished my essay on gunpowder and the printing press last night and will complete the Jacobite essay next week comfortably.

Edited by vikingTON

Anyone got any good tips for writing a personal statement?.I'm really struggling at the moment. :(

Bullshit you're way through it.

Fair enough :lol: ... Out of interest what are people's views on banning cigarette sales? It's proved contentious so far although surprisingly not as contentious as I might have expected - most people seem to support it!! Thoughts...?

Don't people have the right to consume what they please? What right do you have try and deny them that?

What's the deal with the first essay you do being part of you final percentage?!

Couldn't they break you in with a wee diddy essay first?

:(

We were actually offered doing a diddy practice essay for politics but I don't think anyone took up the offer.

Handed in my first history essay today, come on B...

This is of course the counter-argument. However, I have a battery of counters. Firstly, smoking is addictive and therefore it is not an entirely free choice. Secondly, we are a charity; and therefore should not really be profiting from selling our members things which will kill them (unlike alcohol, for which no harm is caused if consumed in moderation) (also we can't sell at cost-price or at a loss). Thirdly, having seen it first-hand working at 1st year halls, significant numbers of freshers take up smoking because [1] their new friends do it and [2] it is social smoking i.e. outside the bars/clubs.

Also we aren't trying to deny our members the right to go to other shops to buy cigarettes; and we already don't sell them Eden Spring water (from Israel :ph34r: ) or Nestle products (over baby milk powder in Africa :ph34r: ) - so you can currently buy death-causing nicotine from us, but not a KitKat Crunchy...

Christ, is there anything you do sell? Oh and by the way, alcohol is addictive ;)

I must be getting old*.

"In my day" people submitted coursework and gave an honest assessment of how they thought they did. Nowadays, it seems to be "the in thing" to proclaim how shit you are.

*And I'm only 22. Blimey...

Theres alot of hyperbole thrown about failing, just means that they found it difficult.

I don't tend to say that I'm going to fail unless I genuinely expect to (and I've often been right). An oft used phrase of mine is "I'll take a pass" - which basically means I've probably passed but not expecting anything spectacular.

P.S. I don't think I've seen cigarettes in either of the Glasgow unions. Never even been mentioned really.

Edited by Mushroom

Theres alot of hyperbole thrown about failing, just means that they found it difficult.

I don't tend to say that I'm going to fail unless I genuinely expect to (and I've often been right). An oft used phrase of mine is "I'll take a pass" - which basically means I've probably passed but not expecting anything spectacular.

P.S. I don't think I've seen cigarettes in either of the Glasgow unions. Never even been mentioned really.

HW shop sells cigarettes, nestle chocolate as well. Think I may have seen a few Israeli Laser Guided Bombs as well, next to the super noodles.

We have no souls.......

Edited by renton

This is of course the counter-argument. However, I have a battery of counters. Firstly, smoking is addictive and therefore it is not an entirely free choice. Secondly, we are a charity; and therefore should not really be profiting from selling our members things which will kill them (unlike alcohol, for which no harm is caused if consumed in moderation) (also we can't sell at cost-price or at a loss). Thirdly, having seen it first-hand working at 1st year halls, significant numbers of freshers take up smoking because [1] their new friends do it and [2] it is social smoking i.e. outside the bars/clubs.

Also we aren't trying to deny our members the right to go to other shops to buy cigarettes; and we already don't sell them Eden Spring water (from Israel :ph34r: ) or Nestle products (over baby milk powder in Africa :ph34r: ) - so you can currently buy death-causing nicotine from us, but not a KitKat Crunchy...

Don't people have a right to get addicted to what they want to?

If smoking is consumed in moderation does it cause any serious health problems?

Really? What a bunch of losers.

Your stand on alcohol and tobacco is hypocritical to be honest.

But it doesn't harm you in moderation: but still I'll go about trying to ban that next year perhaps :rolleyes: .

It's a crazy policy, but at least it is consistent.

Don't people have a right to get addicted to what they want to?

If smoking is consumed in moderation does it cause any serious health problems?

Really? What a bunch of losers.

Your stand on alcohol and tobacco is hypocritical to be honest.

It's a crazy policy, but at least it is consistent.

How many people do smoke in moderation though?

Not many people who drink will drink everyday. Most people who smoke will smoke every day. It's not really as hypocritical as you make it out to be.

How many people do smoke in moderation though?

Not many people who drink will drink everyday. Most people who smoke will smoke every day. It's not really as hypocritical as you make it out to be.

I don't know. There are quite a few social smokers and I imagine the freshers that HibeeJibee mentions in his post are social smokers, as they only do it because their friends do it or outside pubs. But it is a sliding scale, I don't think 1 cigarette equates to one drink so I don't really think that is a fair comparison.

It is hypocritical, you can have this poison that will harm your body but not that poison that will harm your body. We take a moral stand on selling some poison to our students but not other poison, which we're fine with.

If Hibee really objected to selling potentially harmful products to his students then there really wouldn't be a whole lot left in the shop.

Whether you think it's hypocritical or not, I'd say the main reason it's being done is because smoking is more addictive than alcohol. Were people to smoke to the same extent they drank, the alcohol would probably do more damage. However, this doesn't generally occur in practice. Most people who smoke will do so regardless of whether they've been drinking or not.

I've never understood 'social smoking'. I know several people who'll smoke when they're drunk, yet won't touch it sober. Bizarre.

Whether you think it's hypocritical or not, I'd say the main reason it's being done is because smoking is more addictive than alcohol. Were people to smoke to the same extent they drank, the alcohol would probably do more damage. However, this doesn't generally occur in practice. Most people who smoke will do so regardless of whether they've been drinking or not.

I've never understood 'social smoking'. I know several people who'll smoke when they're drunk, yet won't touch it sober. Bizarre.

Let's assume that is the case, once cigarettes are banned the most addictive substance remaining will be alcohol, will they ban that too? It is a slippery slope to go on.

Let's assume that is the case, once cigarettes are banned the most addictive substance remaining will be alcohol, will they ban that too? It is a slippery slope to go on.

Who on earth advocated banning cigarettes?

They will never, ever be banned. They rake in far too much money in tax. They're one of Brown's favorite stealth taxes, along with booze.

Edited to add - The only 'slippery slope' we're on is the slide to price rises year upon year. Alcohol and tobacco duty are the traditional easy target in the budget. It could get even worse up here should the minimum pricing bill go through.

Edited by Michael W

Who on earth advocated banning cigarettes?

They will never, ever be banned. They rake in far too much money in tax. They're one of Brown's favorite stealth taxes, along with booze.

Of course I meant banning them from the Union shop.

They won't be banned, nor should they be.

HW shop sells cigarettes, nestle chocolate as well. Think I may have seen a few Israeli Laser Guided Bombs as well, next to the super noodles.

We have no souls.......

We don't have nestle chocolate either, that ones a very good idea - removes the temptation.

hate smoking but sometimes when im drunk i just really feel like smoking, cant really explain it but thats what happens

my thoughts: just never touch the things and youll never want one