Snow!

xbl

sitting on the M73, near Gartcosh. gone 14 miles in 7 hours, got another 26 miles to go. I don't normally jump on these bandwagons, but the councils and the govt have seriously fucked up here. I've been on the road for about 10 hours today and I've not seen a single plough or gritter yet.

I sympathise with your plight, but I doubt there is much that could have been done. It was exceptional and unexpected weather. As has already been said, a hellish amount of snow, dropped out of nowhere, during rush hour. Sometimes, these things happen. Hope you get home soon though!

sitting on the M73, near Gartcosh. gone 14 miles in 7 hours, got another 26 miles to go. I don't normally jump on these bandwagons, but the councils and the govt have seriously fucked up here. I've been on the road for about 10 hours today and I've not seen a single plough or gritter yet.

I presume you are in a queue of traffic? If so, how the f*** is a gritter going to work? Is it a magic gritter made out of smoke that passes through other vehicles as if they aren't there?

F***wit.

I sympathise with your plight, but I doubt there is much that could have been done. It was exceptional and unexpected weather. As has already been said, a hellish amount of snow, dropped out of nowhere, during rush hour. Sometimes, these things happen. Hope you get home soon though!

The motorways could have been closed for an hour at lunchtime to allow gritting, and they certainly could have had the gritters out early this morning. It was forecast yesterday that it would snow this morning.

I presume you are in a queue of traffic? If so, how the f*** is a gritter going to work? Is it a magic gritter made out of smoke that passes through other vehicles as if they aren't there?

F***wit.

If they had gritted the road in the first place then the drivers would not be stuck and traffi would move more freely :P

The snow stopped around 1pm so the councils have fucked up big style.

huh.gif

On the BBC website last night it said there would be heavy snow from roughly 3am - 3pm yesterday/today across Glasgow and Edinburgh. Hardly unexpected.

The motorways could have been closed for an hour at lunchtime to allow gritting, and they certainly could have had the gritters out early this morning. It was forecast yesterday that it would snow this morning.

They were closed. Unfortunately, they were full of cars...

Gritters were out this morning. However, it doesn't deal with the problem of that much snow, that fast. Grit needs "churn" to work, and it just didn't get that.

If they had gritted the road in the first place then the drivers would not be stuck and traffi would move more freely :P

They did.

The snow stopped around 1pm so the councils have fucked up big style.

In the magic gritters made of smoke again?

F***wit.

Appropriate username, angry man. I'm guessing you're short.

The other side of the motorway is empty. No gritters. The centre of Glasgow was moving, if slowly. No gritters. The drive in this morning was a constant 15-20mph. No gritters.

The point is that it should have been dealt within advance, when forecast, to avoid literally thousand of cars unable to move for ridiculous periods of time in sub-zero temperatures.

There were weather warnings last night on the radio for heavy snow for the central belt, between 3am and 3pm. The snow arrived later and didn't last as long as forecast.

The councils should have been better prepared for the major routes.

The M80, A80, M73 are car-parks!

Appropriate username, angry man. I'm guessing you're short.

The other side of the motorway is empty. No gritters. The centre of Glasgow was moving, if slowly. No gritters. The drive in this morning was a constant 15-20mph. No gritters.

The point is that it should have been dealt within advance, when forecast, to avoid literally thousand of cars unable to move for ridiculous periods of time in sub-zero temperatures.

Or, you shouldn't have bothered going out in the car when the weather was going to be so bad?

They did.

In the magic gritters made of smoke again?

I have not seen one gritter or plough in and around the Bonnybridge area today and we are on a priority 1 route,In fact as i posted earlier a private compnay(Central Demolition)sent a JCD down to Bonnybridge Toll to clear the road as not council gritters/ploughs were not about.

Now if a private company can get a road cleared surely a council can???

Edited by keithgy

That surprises me.

Must be a shit driver, or maybe he couldn't get out of his street because it was being blocked by an Alfa! :rolleyes::lol:

My boss has an Audi with intelligent 4 wheel drive,( like my Sportage :rolleyes:) and he's managed through the worst that been flung at us the past week or so, in spite of being a self confessed not very good driver.

That's a distinct possibility.

One of the guys in the office asked me last Monday if I had 4 wheel drive on my car. I just looked at him. Then burst out laughing.

It's not so much grip that's my problem. Basically because the snow hasn't been cleared at all on the road into our car park my car is grounding itself on the ice underneath. Rode my luck so far. Not pushing it for tomorrow as its going to freeze like f**k tonight. Not taking the wife's car as she's trading it in on Saturday and I really don't want to risk crashing it.

BBC website forecast light snow in Falkirk last night,It was very very heavy snow.

Not the forecast I saw - it was pretty much spot on, particularly as regards duration. Doesn't matter anyway, if there is snow forecast they should have been treating the roads, and they patently didn't.

huh.gif

On the BBC website last night it said there would be heavy snow from roughly 3am - 3pm yesterday/today across Glasgow and Edinburgh. Hardly unexpected.

The forecast 2 days ago said it was going to thaw today!

Others have already covered the magic gritters made of smoke, the unexpected weather, the bad timing, the depth of snow etc. So not much to add.

Stirling seemed to get it right though. Sure, my street is completely impassible (spent the evening helping cars get parked and doing assorted good deeds), but the main roads were ploughed and gritted, so were passable. I saw a fair few tractors and trucks in the town centre, I guess thats where they all your missing gritters must have ended up. :P

Or, you shouldn't have bothered going out in the car when the weather was going to be so bad?

For various reasons that I don't particularly feel like disclosing to ShortManSyndromePersonified, I had to go into work today having been unable to do so all of last week. There were no trains or buses running that I could get there or home.

And I (obviously naively) assumed that the Councils, who were trumpeting last week about the supplies of salt they had bought for this winter, might have got their fucking act together.