Ad Lib

18 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Shin meaning shoes.

#westcoastnostalgia

18 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

"Shin" slang for shoes.

Never heard it personally.  

47 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

Smells, discoloured or mouldy. Depends on the item.

Milk for example. Saturday's date, but it smells fine, looks fine, give it a wee sip and it tastes normal. Throw it out or keep?

Blue cheese is mouldy and lovely as well, though I agree, just cut off the mould from cheddar.

I googled an article about this a while ago and it was quite weird the difference in items.

Some things as perfectly fine to eat and some things are really not. It wasn't simple either.

Google is your friend for all stuff but both milk and bread are fine.

Why are people drinking out of date milk?
A carton is 45p.

Utter jake behavior.

It's a fifteen minute walk to the nearest shop. I don't particularly feel inclined to go on a half-hour round trip for a bottle of milk when I've got perfectly drinkable milk in the fridge.

Also there is the general food waste issue. Buying extra milk needlessly is just a waste of perfectly good food.

1 hour ago, Deeboy said:

Do you eat bread with mould?

Its only penicillin after all.

If you let rye bread go mouldy it's supposed to give you an acid like trip if you eat it. Or kill you,can't quite remember.

If you let rye bread go mouldy it's supposed to give you an acid like trip if you eat it.

I'm more into mouldy blue cheese before bed, one of the few legal highs remaining. Unless it's nightmare night of course, that can backfire spectacularly.

Eta: Here's one for you all: opened up the peanut butter this morning and it looked oddly moist and unreasuringly oily*. Checked the lid and it simply says Aug '16 (no differentiation between use/sell by or mention of "use with x weeks of opening"). Obviously when such things have a long shelf life these futuristic dates are rather arbitrary, but yay or nay over something in-date but dodgy looking?

*No bodily fluids involved.

That's probably normal reaction if it's been left for a while, given the oily nature of the ingredients.

Stir it around a little bit, if it still looks/smells funky then chuck it (still talking about peanut butter here).

He doesn't want a lover, he just needs a friend.

He'll struggle to find either with they fucking shoes.

ETA: jumped in too quick with that one, but we all know who I meant.

Im getting really bad for not finishing a whole loaf of bread at the moment. Think that was the third unfinished loaf I had to chuck out last night because it got mouldy. Feeling guilty about it tbh.

As for eggs, I find it slightly irritating that the carton tells you to put them in the fridge but yet they're kept on an ambient temperature shelf in the shop. It obviously doesn't matter that much surely? For the record I do keep them in the fridge.

Milk should be kept no longer than 2 days after the use-by date.

1 minute ago, Jamaldo said:

Im getting really bad for not finishing a whole loaf of bread at the moment. Think that was the third unfinished loaf I had to chuck out last night because it got mouldy. Feeling guilty about it tbh.

As for eggs, I find it slightly irritating that the carton tells you to put them in the fridge but yet they're kept on an ambient temperature shelf. It obviously doesn't matter that much surely? For the record I do keep them in the fridge.

Milk should be kept no longer than 2 days after the use-by date.

Asda is your friend, they have started selling Warbutons Toastie loafs (orange wrapper) in a 'Half Toastie' there is only one outsider, the other end is cardboard.

Asda is your friend, they have started selling Warbutons Toastie loafs (orange wrapper) in a 'Half Toastie' there is only one outsider, the other end is cardboard.

No Asdas here I'm afraid Zen. And I do buy the smaller 400g loafs, which makes me look even worse.

2 minutes ago, Jamaldo said:

No Asdas here I'm afraid Zen. And I do buy the smaller 400g loafs, which makes me look even worse.

I like that stuff too but it seems to be a totally different consistency to its big brother.

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

I've a couple of other pairs that you might prefer? 

Go for it. I was more than willing to give you the benefit of the doubt on the first photo as they looked much more like a pair of desert shoes I have.