Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

10 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

For years the price of a new PC game was £30 which let me feel smug looking at concole players paying double but it seems to be creeping up to £45- £50 even 60+ quid for some of the anime stuff that I guess they know weeaboos will buy.

I wonder if this is partly because so many folk buy in steam sales so they need more Dosh per unit sold initially to be considered successful?

Aye, PC games were quite cheap towards the end of the big box era, but apparently sales were poor in comparison to the consoles, and supposedly piracy was rife so presumably that held prices in check. Funny, everyone I knew with a console in the late Nineties had it chipped to run pirate games.

I hear PC sales are good again these days but, aye, I've wondered about how they manage to reduce games so drastically. Maybe it's like the film industry; apparently all the producers care about is the initial box-office take, and everything after (rental, DVD sales) is gravy. Delicious gravy, but nonetheless a delightful bonus rather than the meal of the meal.

Edit: meat of the meal. FFS.

Edited by BigFatTabbyDave

1 minute ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Aye, PC games were quite cheap towards the end of the big box era, but apparently sales were poor in comparison to the consoles, and supposedly piracy was rife so presumably that held prices in check. Funny, everyone I knew with a console in the late Nineties had it chipped to run pirate games.

I hear PC sales are good again these days but, aye, I've wondered about how they manage to reduce games so drastically. Maybe it's like the film industry; apparently all the producers care about is the initial box-office take, and everything after (rental, DVD sales) is gravy. Delicious gravy, but nonetheless a delightful bonus rather than the meal of the meal.

Don’t lots of games now rely on bolt-ons, skins, in-game purchases etc these days?

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

Don’t lots of games now rely on bolt-ons, skins, in-game purchases etc these days?

Aye, very good point.

You'd think I'd remember that, considering I watch Jim Sterling's videos.

8 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Aye, very good point.

You'd think I'd remember that, considering I watch Jim Sterling's videos.

Shudder to think how much Par Jr has spent on a game called Star Stable. It’s like a 12a version of GTA but with horses.

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

Shudder to think how much Par Jr has spent on a game called Star Stable. It’s like a 12a version of GTA but with horses.

I'm going to sound ancient here, but I really can't be fucked with freemium games. Give me a product, I pay for it, take your money and leave me to enjoy it. I hate the idea of having to keep paying an indeterminate amount in order to make a game enjoyable.

I could never be arsed with stuff like World of Warcraft for that same reason. Seems like an absolute chore, and there's no fixed limit on how much you have to pay to see everything? Bargain; sign me up.

I'm going to sound ancient here, but I really can't be fucked with freemium games. Give me a product, I pay for it, take your money and leave me to enjoy it. I hate the idea of having to keep paying an indeterminate amount in order to make a game enjoyable.
I could never be arsed with stuff like World of Warcraft for that same reason. Seems like an absolute chore, and there's no fixed limit on how much you have to pay to see everything? Bargain; sign me up.
Aye f**k that shit. I've paid for less than a handful of add ons or whatever in my whole life. Those included Skyrim and Witcher 3 so I got my absolute money's worth with the hours spent.

Just now, Stellaboz said:

Aye f**k that shit. I've paid for less than a handful of add ons or whatever in my whole life. Those included Skyrim and Witcher 3 so I got my absolute money's worth with the hours spent.

Downloadable content's a different matter. If you want to try to sell me an additional part of a game after I've bought and enjoyed it, feel free.

Slightly muddies the water when a publisher hives off important parts of a finished game to sell separately, but I guess it's my fault if I fall for that shit.

24 minutes ago, bennett said:

I thought that they'd shut down after one of their rollercoasters caused an accident. 

Look, I'd had a dodgy curry and 14 pints the night before.  I'm the real victim here. 

The last (and only time) I was at M&D's was with a lassie I was seeing 20 years ago.  I won a teddy on one of the stalls and she gave me a w**k in the car before we went home. 

7 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Look, I'd had a dodgy curry and 14 pints the night before.  I'm the real victim here. 

The last (and only time) I was at M&D's was with a lassie I was seeing 20 years ago.  I won a teddy on one of the stalls and she gave me a w**k in the car before we went home. 

That was nice of the teddy bear. 

AED45CFB-C8DF-4593-AFCC-07625804349E.jpeg

I was feeling ill yesterday, couldn't get heated up and coughing like blazes, really short of breath. (I would cough a lot anyway due to my COPD and also be breathless for the same reason.)

Happed myself up with a couple of blankets and my temperature went through the roof. My youngest stepdaughter went mental, landed out with a thermometer - ours is broken/lost/hidden away in a safe place - and instructed her mother to take my temperature every hour. Also got the blankets taken off me and fed paracetemol every 4 hours.

Temperature was soon back to normal - stepdaughter checked up every hour - and I was able to eat a light tea.

Still not feeling great - I get days like that, I put it down to my COPD, after a few days I just improve on my own - and I've no breath, the slightest thing tires me out, but I don't feel as grim as yesterday.