Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

You'll know the place, it's just down from the Angel. I was in all the "alley pubs" and even in the Turk's Head and it's neighbour,  Whitelocks,  there was plenty much cheaper. That kind is aimed at the unsuspecting and the beer snobs. I just didn't look properly and they don't make it obvious. I also bottled telling him to stick it. Tapped, Brewdog and the like that sell expensive stuff have quite prominent price lists.
Lesson learned.

Whitelocks is great. Used to be a great place to pop in for a drink if I was in town shopping. Loved having pubs down the allies in the city centre.

Just spent an hour in the company of a guy who used to be in the army.
You'll never guess what he talked about for the entire time without letting anyone else get a word in?

Rangers?

8 hours ago, Romeo said:

You'll never guess what he talked about for the entire time without letting anyone else get a word in?

I met a guy last week who did nothing to disprove my theory that if you meet an ex-squaddie you will find out within 5 minutes of meeting them. The guy dropped it into the conversation despite it having nothing to do with what we were talking about.

My mate joined the Army years ago and was completely brainwashed into believing he was a far better human than mere 'civvys'. It was quite weird to witness.

Last one I met was telling us about going to prison for stabbing someone who supposedly raped his sister before asking me to help him out towards paying for a hostel

At least he'd done something interesting with his life after the Army

9 hours ago, Dee Man said:

I met a guy last week who did nothing to disprove my theory that if you meet an ex-squaddie you will find out within 5 minutes of meeting them. The guy dropped it into the conversation despite it having nothing to do with what we were talking about.

My mate joined the Army years ago and was completely brainwashed into believing he was a far better human than mere 'civvys'. It was quite weird to witness.

The only two folk I know were squaddies both never mentioned it to me. Only found out when other folk did. Had known one of them for months as well.

This could be just because I don't listen to other people. They're boring.

The only two folk I know were squaddies both never mentioned it to me. Only found out when other folk did. Had known one of them for months as well.

Used to be a squaddie that occasionally came out drinking with us, everyone knew he had been in the army but refused to talk about it, only time I heard him mention it was someone asked him how many tours he had done and he replied, occasionally mention a couple of guys but that was it. Anyone asked further and he'd change the subject.

My brother's former neighbour was an old guy who everyone called 'Colonel' but he assumed it was all a bit of a laugh.

He died a few years back and at his funeral one of his old army mates stood up and ran through his service in the Army - he'd been part of the Highlanders at Dunkirk, who had continued fighting the Germans while others escaped, I think they were the last British soldiers to surrender in Europe in 1940.  He then escaped from his POW camp and was sent to Colditz for the remainder of the war.

Not a word of it to anyone, although maybe if he'd had Facebook he'd be sharing Marine A pages like a boss.

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

The slight flaw in my theory is that if a former soldier doesn't mention that he's been in the army then obviously I'm none the wiser. 

31 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The correct attitude IMO. Likely seen and done things he would prefer to forget.

Always amazes me that the old boys who put down their days jobs and fought a war in Europe that threatened to leave us all speaking German almost to a man in my experience dont really feel the need to discuss it, yet these days a tour in Iraq means you should be revered as a god.

It would be a bit different when you got a big welcome home rather than getting called a murderer by some student.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38965377

Disney has cut ties with the world's highest paid YouTube star PewDiePie over allegations of anti-Semitism.

The decision came after several videos he released over the past few months were found to contain Nazi references or anti-Semitic imagery.

If Uncle Walt had still been in charge he'd have been offered a seat on the board!

On ‎12‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 20:07, Romeo said:

That anyone joining the Navy is a twat and the Air Force is full of pansies.
Inter-service rivalry being what it is.

.. or maybe his application to become a monk.

I once found an old rusty saw in the grass and threw it at my friend who was in a tree. I didn't mean to hit him (just meant to hit the tree and give him a fright) but I took a wee chunk out of his knee. I felt guilty as he cried. Apparently he had to get a tetanus shot

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

I once found an old rusty saw in the grass and threw it at my friend who was in a tree. I didn't mean to hit him (just meant to hit the tree and give him a fright) but I took a wee chunk out of his knee. I felt guilty as he cried. Apparently he had to get a tetanus shot

Don't fret about it.

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I bet he never saw that coming.