Things you want to share with P&B

Ad Lib

50 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Lowland Scots wearing kilts falls squarely into the "cultural appropriation" bracket. 

Give the lowlands a break, it's not their fault the lowlands have no culture and they've had to appropriate Highland culture for 200 years.

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Where does your attraction to a lowland football club come from? Is it their culture?

It came from Lowland clubs blackballing Highland clubs until the mid 90's (and even then, they forced two rivals to merge into one club).

Lets think about it though, the things most commonly associated with Scottish culture:

Highlands: Kilts/tartan, Whisky, Scots-Gaelic, Scenery, Clans, Highland Games, Ceilidh's

Lowlands: Burns, eh....

Things people think are Scottish but aren't actually: Bagpipies, haggis.

No contest. I think it would be a good thing for the Lowlands to finally discover it's own culture.

That's not a kilt champ, thanks for playing anyway.

For those interested in the litany of falsehoods and reinventions of Highland culture, the bulk of Trever-Roper's takedown in The Invention of Tradition can be read on Google Books to judge for yourselves:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=sfvnNdVY3KIC&pg=PA28&dq=kilt+invention&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiGu_T2wuLuAhWygVwKHVXKCl0QuwUwAHoECAEQBQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Spoiler

Bonus points if you had 'anti-Irish staunchness' on the Highland bingo card for this one. 

2 hours ago, Tynierose said:

Falkirk fans moaning as per about how its an injustice the way they're being treated.   After all they deserve to be in the top league  you know.

They seem to forget they're in tier 3 for reasons all of their own making.

star trek deal with it GIF

The good news is that they're planning on 'chucking the game' when this latest injustice kicks in. Hopefully their equally ridiculous football club joins in and applies for the European Super League instead. I'm sure that Andrea Agnelli and Florentino Perez will welcome this powerhouse of the game with open arms.

Edited by vikingTON

32 minutes ago, virginton said:

That's not a kilt champ, thanks for playing anyway.

For those interested in the litany of falsehoods and reinventions of Highland culture, the bulk of Trever-Roper's takedown in The Invention of Tradition can be read on Google Books to judge for yourselves:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=sfvnNdVY3KIC&pg=PA28&dq=kilt+invention&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiGu_T2wuLuAhWygVwKHVXKCl0QuwUwAHoECAEQBQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Hide contents

Bonus points if you had 'anti-Irish staunchness' on the Highland bingo card for this one. 

Happy to be schooled on the history of the Highlands and their fashions. Not something i know a lot about to be honest. 

I'll try to be more historically accurate with my light hearted quips in future. 

Incidentally, if i hadn't self-censored and gone with my original angle that it was cultural appropriation from tribes of uncivilised savages, would that have made you madder? 

45 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

Falkirk fans moaning as per about how its an injustice the way they're being treated.   After all they deserve to be in the top league  you know.

Strong rumour going round that Calimero will be the new mascot 

4078123a69f689061497d545c1260cac.jpg.c00485960a71220eaa43c6f5c01ce30d.jpg

1 hour ago, Tynierose said:

star trek deal with it GIF

I was beginning to think it was self parody and they were playing up to it. I've come back round to thinking they are utterly delusional.