Twin Atlantic

DarkBlue62

Downloaded there album last week and although i needed a couple of listens, I really really like it. They remind me of another Scottish band called We Were Promised Jetpacks. Not everyone's cup of tea but I like it as something different.

I can't see Twin Atlantic having much success away from Scotlan though (like WWPJP) as the Scottish accent is just to strong, but still a decent band.

Anyone know of any live dates coming up?

Agree about Twin Atlantic but disagree about Jetpacks. They're already building a fanbase in America and I reckon their 2nd album will be a huge hit.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vocals are good. Do folk complain about Glasvegas, Twilight Sad or We Were Promised Jetpacks? Early Biffy stuff you hear more of an accent too.

Finally managed to catch TA at TITP in 2009 and they really had the crowd going. Was actually surprised to catch them on Canadian TV back in 2009 too.

Vocals are good. Do folk complain about Glasvegas, Twilight Sad or We Were Promised Jetpacks? Early Biffy stuff you hear more of an accent too.

I don't complain about them bands because the vocals aren't shite.

The vocals are a little obnoxious, if you get me. They're really loud compared to the other bands you've mentioned. Oh, and his accent is fucking ridiculous.

I agree with DomDom. Get rid of the vocalist 'lad', and they'd be a cracking wee band. But I simply cannot stand his accent.

• 10 months later...

I wasn't willing to give this band a chance, mainly due to the singer doing my fucking head in, but I finally gave the new album a chance and it'd appear that the songs suit his singing a hell of a lot more. I'm not sure what it is they're doing different these days, but "Free" is a terrific album if you ask me.

• 2 years later...

New album out tomorrow. I caved in and downloaded the leak - very impressed. Upon hearing the first couple of tracks released I was a bit uneasy as it was definitely a departure from their older material and was heading towards mainstream rock. Those songs have grown on me and they fit in well on the album. There are a fair few songs that sound like they could be on 'Free': Cell Mate, Actions That Echo & I Am An Animal. Definitely see a lot of success for them with this album which is thoroughly deserved.

They have became too mainstream for my liking. To me, if you take away the instruments, the lyrics are just cheesy pish. Much in the same way as Kings of Leon after the 3rd album, although their new one is better.

Go and find a new band nobody's ever heard of to feel superior about if you can't cope with a decent, hardworking band having a bit if well deserved success.

It's getting better with every listen, Fall into the party is an absolute gem. This album could make them huge, it's as if half of the songs were made for stadiums.Undoubtedly much more of a mainstream sound than their older stuff, but there are still shades of Free in the album. They've pulled it off IMO.

Atleast your taking it well.

I am sure they will make a decent amount of money from this album. Well done to them for that.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound so arsey. The "selling out" thing is a myth in 9 cases out of ten tho. Every bands sound will mature over time. In fact the ones who don't (see Mumford and sons as an example) are the ones who deserve scorn.

This album is the same sort of progression as the last one. Twin Atlantic are simply getting better at what they want to do. There is no "selling out". Using that term would suggest that the plan to get to this point was ever any different.

Archived