Procycling thread

myshkin

Sport induced athsma? It's your body telling you it's at its limit!

I had asthmatics in my class at school, they couldn't take part in PE & constantly had an inhaler with them.

An asthmatic attack is an extremely harrowing thing to witness, never mind suffer.

Sport induced athsma? It's your body telling you it's at its limit!

I had asthmatics in my class at school, they couldn't take part in PE & constantly had an inhaler with them.

An asthmatic attack is an extremely harrowing thing to witness, never mind suffer.

I'm relatively mild with asthma so had no problems playing rugby n football so long as I had inhalers with me as a just in case. However the idea that you could carry out any sporting activities when you have a chest infection so severe as to require steroid injections is utter nonsense let alone elite level events in cycling athletics tennis etc. Clearly the tue system has been heavily abused.

The vast majority (around 70%) of all elite swimmers in the UK used anti-asthmatic medication (inhalers) in 2014.

The problem is that this form of asthma is usually defined as "exercise induced". So, is it something that should be redressed through medication or a "tough luck" consequence of doing the exercise in the first place?

70% is an incredible stat. I've no idea what the %age of the population suffering asthma is generally but I'd expect the %age of athletes with asthma to be much lower not as it is much higher. Is this institutionalised doping?

Roughly 1/12 people in general population suffer from asthma, if that stat is true about the swimmers it's a disgrace.

Hard to see it as anything other than sanctioned cheating. I'd expect that a good chunk of asthma sufferers would either avoid endurance sports or simply not be able to compete so surely there should be less than 12% of the swimmers ( or any athletes )using asthma medications....70% is ludicrous.

Please cite peer reviewed studies showing the performance enhancing characteristics of cataboilic steroids. 

Some folk seem a little confused and think all steroids act the same. 

Also just to cut off the obvious anecdotal route, certain ex pros were on blood doping, EPO, anabolic steroids and using catabolic steroids. 

The later would help mediate weight gain with the other substances being used. One can argue that an individual is approaching a competition slightly over weight and uses catabolic steroids to enhance muscle wastage, that would be a rather unusual circumstance. 

But dont let knowledge of the substance in question get in the way of speculation. 

The point isn't really about the benefit of any substance, but rather the way that certain competitors on the surface of it appear to have been circumventing the rules to be able to use something which would otherwise be banned.

Exactly....taking a prescription for an ailment they don't have is simply a way round the doping rules.

1 hour ago, kiddy said:

Last monument classic of the season tomorrow, Lombardia. Nibali taking last season's race, I wonder who will triumph this time?

Over the few years, winners have defended their title. Nibali is the favourite with Rodriguez, Martin and Gilbert (recent winners) in contention. Quintana and the Yates brothers should be up there too. 

Dramatic sprint finish in Lombardia yesterday, with Esteban Chaves coming from a fair distance back to pip Uran & Diego Rosa on the line. Surprised Bardet was dropped on the final climb, having broken away with the two Colombians. But some effort by Rosa to haul the other 3 in after working for Aru, who didn't have the form on the day to compete.

Edited by kiddy

On 27/09/2016 at 21:38, dogmc said:

Hard to see it as anything other than sanctioned cheating. I'd expect that a good chunk of asthma sufferers would either avoid endurance sports or simply not be able to compete so surely there should be less than 12% of the swimmers ( or any athletes )using asthma medications....70% is ludicrous.

Yep. The argument (for swimmers) is that they spend so many hours in a chloride-filled pool training that they all develop breathing problems. Swimmers are the extreme, but cycling isn't far behind. There is a plausible argument to be made that the exercise causes the problem and an inhaled short acting beta-agonist (such as salbutamol) redresses the balance. In my view, there is a much stronger argument that this is institutionalised cheating. One of the several drawbacks of linking lottery funding to past Olympics performance.