Procycling thread

myshkin

17 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Hearing the super merger might be off and the bike manufacturer might be upping their involvement to become named sponsor for Visma. Nobody seems to know what's going on.

Cervelo, isn’t it?

Happy if this merger doesn't go ahead.

It means at next summer's Tour we'll have the world's top 4 GC racers all contesting the win on different teams - Vingegaard, Pogacar, Roglic and Remco.

That's better for the sport than Jumbo having 2 of either Vingegaard/Roglic or Vingegaard/Remco.

I still think Roglic needs another top mountain domestique to really compete. Could Jai Hindley be talked into filling that role?

The Tour should be an absolute cracker.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

1 hour ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

I still think Roglic needs another top mountain domestique to really compete. Could Jai Hindley be talked into filling that role?

Assuming that will be the plan - you've got time on your side Jai, plus you can learn from a true master and you're plan B if Roglic falls. 

Lidl-Trek signed Boomen to presumably help as a domestique for TGH with Molema there to help or go stage hunting, and while I can't seem Geogan-Hart being in the reckoning, all it takes is for someone like that or Rodriguez at Ineos now he's staying to get involved in a breakaway early doors and suddenly they've got someone else to think about on top of the stellar names. 

Agree it should be a cracker if everyone is fit and well. 

Edited by Salvo Montalbano
Made little sense syntactically

• 2 weeks later...

Champions league Track Cycling championship started tonight, some of the numbers these riders are producing are amazing. Fast and furious stuff and some great racing with the added bonus of Kate Mason looking absolutely stunning 

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Bob in Denny said:

GCN+ gone tits up,

stops on the 19th Dec....

Don't think they're going tits up as much as Discovery want you to subscribe to Discovery + instead. Higher fee for less cycling no doubt. A shame, I'm not a subscriber but have seen bits of their films etc they make and they're always decent.

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Don't think they're going tits up as much as Discovery want you to subscribe to Discovery + instead. Higher fee for less cycling no doubt. A shame, I'm not a subscriber but have seen bits of their films etc they make and they're always decent.

I have a subscription to Eurosport and always hear the commentators telling me I need GCN+ to have no ads... and yet I don't get any ads even though I don't have GCN+.  

Is this - whatever it is that's happening - going to affect watching cycling on Eurosport?

4 minutes ago, Gnash said:

I have a subscription to Eurosport and always hear the commentators telling me I need GCN+ to have no ads... and yet I don't get any ads even though I don't have GCN+.  

Is this - whatever it is that's happening - going to affect watching cycling on Eurosport?

I don't think so. We're lucky in Europe in that Eurosport show most of the bigger races anyway (although GCN+ shows a lot more including a lot of cyclo-cross, mountain biking, etc that Eurosport don't) but I get the impression that folk in the USA, Asia and Australia are in for a major downgrade on the amount of cycling they can see, unless Discovery + suddenly takes up more races.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching Lemond: The Last Rider on Sky and it’s still unbelievable the joy that Fignon getting pumped in Paris in 1989 gives me. Beautiful stuff. Beautiful. 

ETA: By the way. What a fucking arsehole he was.

Edited by Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tadej Pogacar saying that he plans on doing Strade Bianche, Milan-San Remo, il Giro, le Tour, the Olympics and the Worlds as part of his schedule. Giving the cobbled classics a miss as it buggered his wrist last time out. The organisers of the Giro will be pleased and although a few folk have said that he "clearly thinks Vinegaard will win the Tour", I think it's more that a) he thinks the Giro will be a good warm up for the Tour (which many riders have done before) and b) he's always said that he wants to win as many big races as possible and he's doing a few he's not won before (and of course has already won 2 Tours). 

At the other end of the young rider going for glory scale, Tom Pidcock is saying that he wants to target GC at the Tour this year. Can't see it myself; for all his excellent descending, he is nowhere near strong enough yet at climbing or time trialing to crack into that top 5 or thereabouts. He's also planning on doing the Mountain Biking at the Olympics I think? So seems a strange aim time wise.

• 2 weeks later...