Procycling thread

myshkin

30 minutes ago, Gnash said:

Totally different situation.  That day, Roglic was in a tight GC battle with Kuss nowhere near. 

Now, Jumbo have the GC wrapped up and Kuss is going to win because of team orders, not because he's the best rider.  It stinks, frankly, and worse than that, it's boring.

He romped stage 6 & churned in a better ITT than they thought he'd do. When they thought they'd be fighting it out between themselves.

Now they don't want to respect their team mate? Pair of cnuts, Vingegaard being the worse of the two.

Folk are forgetting Roglic was with Kuss the day Vingegaard took 1.05 out of Kuss & the Slovenian. Yet when he tried likewise the next day, to narrow the gap, the Dane saw the opportunity to put himself in prime position to win the Vuelta. Why didn’t he stay with the Yank? #greed

Edited by kiddy

Roglic and Vingegaard are elite athletes and you can understand why they attacked on Wednesday if they hadn't had clear and specific team orders to support Kuss, sure they're greedy but I guess you don't get into their shoes (sic) without this trait.

Overall I think the decision to back Kuss on Thursday was the right one but without Landa's helping Kuss on Wednesday it could have been so different - two hard stages in the mountains it was an obvious spot and TJ-V should have seen it a day earlier.

Edited by btb

Big hand to Evenepoel for lighting up the race.  He made it worth sticking with once the GC race died. 

Cracking breakaway and chase in the last stage.  I don't think I've ever seen the breakaway get caught but the stage still get won by someone that was in it.

22 hours ago, Gnash said:

Big hand to Evenepoel for lighting up the race.  He made it worth sticking with once the GC race died. 

Cracking breakaway and chase in the last stage.  I don't think I've ever seen the breakaway get caught but the stage still get won by someone that was in it.

Thought Ganna or Remco would have to ride Groves off the wheel to win. Almost an armchair ride for him.

We've had some madcap rumours in silly season but the latest is perhaps the weirdest of the lot.

You might know that Jumbo are pulling their sponsorship of TJV despite the success - being a Dutch only supermarket I guess the budget just isn't there - and there have been rumours of Neom, the Saudi folk building "The Line" taking over, but the latest is a merger between the Dutch outfit and the Belgian Soudal Quickstep. Team to be Soudal-Visma, the TJV boss becoming heqd coach and Leferve becoming CEO. Would mean trimming the squads as they both have 30 riders for next season and also are involved in Women's Teams and would have to see who takes the Pro Licence etc but it might be next season or 2025. Roglic to Lidl-Trek and Evenepoul to Ineos might make more sense if this happens, but I still can't see it.

What an odd state of afairs, as Soudal have signed Mikel Landa, who you'd think was signed to work for Evenepoel.

Fabio Jakobsen is off to DSM too, which seemed to indicate that Soudal weren't targeting sprints next year, but would go all in with Evenepoel.

If the proposed merger went ahead, could Soudal-Visma (???) stick with Vingegaard and Evenepoel and get shot of Roglic? I could see Roglic ending up at Ineos.

8 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

What an odd state of afairs, as Soudal have signed Mikel Landa, who you'd think was signed to work for Evenepoel.

Fabio Jakobsen is off to DSM too, which seemed to indicate that Soudal weren't targeting sprints next year, but would go all in with Evenepoel.

If the proposed merger went ahead, could Soudal-Visma (???) stick with Vingegaard and Evenepoel and get shot of Roglic? I could see Roglic ending up at Ineos.

There were rumours of Roglic going to Lidl-Trek. He'll have to go somewhere if he's to ride the TdF I guess, since even if Vinegaard was to get injured there's no guarantee he'd be leader at Jumbo-Visma any more.

54 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

There were rumours of Roglic going to Lidl-Trek. He'll have to go somewhere if he's to ride the TdF I guess, since even if Vinegaard was to get injured there's no guarantee he'd be leader at Jumbo-Visma any more.

For me, he's be ideal for Ineos right now.

What do Ineos actually have? Thomas, whilst still strong, is not going to challenge for another Grand Tour. I have doubts over whether Bernal will challenge again too given the severtiy of the injuries he's had to overcome. Geo Heganhart is away to Lidl Trek. Pidcock is not a GT racer. Dani Martinez is off to Bora. Sivakov is off to UAE. 

At present Carlos Rodriguez is the only one I'm looking at as potentially winning a GT in the future. But he's still only 22 and nowehere near the level of a Evenepoel or Pogacar.

Ineos need a GT contender right now. Roglic would suit all parties I reckon. Ineos get a genuine contender and Roglic gets to go and be the main man somewhere.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

11 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

For me, he's be ideal for Ineos right now.

What do Ineos actually have? Thomas, whilst still strong, is not going to challenge for another Grand Tour. I have doubts over whether Bernal will challenge again too given the severtiy of the injuries he's had to overcome. Geo Heganhart is away to Lidl Trek. Pidcock is not a GT racer. Dani Martinez is off to Bora. Sivakov is off to UAE. 

A t present Carlos Rodriguez is the only one I;m looking at as potentially winning a GT in the future. But he's still only 22 and owehere near the level of a Evenepoel or Pogacar.

Ineos need a GT contender right now. Roglic would suit all parties I reckon. Ineos get a genuine contender and Roglic gets to go and be the main man somewhere.

Don't disagree, but just don't see what Ineos are doing. Are they wanting to be a serious team, are they wanting to be a youth team, are they planning on winning time trials and individual stages? Who knows. Riders leaving in droves and other than the Remco rumours there's been no movement inwards. Do they even have enough decent climbing domestiques to support a Remco or a Roglic though? De Plus, Thomas, Fraile, Kwiatkowski could all do a turn but when Jumbo-Visma have Kuss and van Aert and UAE have Yates and Hirchi it doesn't look like they've got guys who can support their leader all the way to the top in the same way the other teams can. 

5 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Don't disagree, but just don't see what Ineos are doing. Are they wanting to be a serious team, are they wanting to be a youth team, are they planning on winning time trials and individual stages? Who knows. Riders leaving in droves and other than the Remco rumours there's been no movement inwards. Do they even have enough decent climbing domestiques to support a Remco or a Roglic though? De Plus, Thomas, Fraile, Kwiatkowski could all do a turn but when Jumbo-Visma have Kuss and van Aert and UAE have Yates and Hirchi it doesn't look like they've got guys who can support their leader all the way to the top in the same way the other teams can. 

This has been my issue with Ineos for the last 2/3 years.

What are they? They're not a grand tour team. They're not really a classics team. They're not a sprint lead out. 

I can't work out the route they are trying to go down.

If they are left with Thomas - no offence to him - as their main GT man that's a disaster. A great rider, but he's 37 now. He simply can't hit the levels of Vingegaard, Roglic, Pogacar, Evenepoel etc. anymore.

Losing Geohagen Hart and Sivakov is a bit of a disaster. As you say, if they do push out the boat for a Roglic or Evenepoel - they have absolutely no mountain domestiques who can really impact a GT.

A bit of a shit show for them really.

By all accounts, Roglic has agreed to jon Bora.

WTF are Ineos doing this year? If they can't outbid Bora then they have no hope of landing a top GC rider....unless the deal for Remco is a goer.

That said, Bora are putting together some team. Potentially, they could have Roglic, Hindley, Higuita, Kamna, Konrad, Schachmann, Uijtdebroeks and Vlasov.

There’s a very decent GC team there.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

Pogi solo’s to Lombardy win. Opening up a gap, attacking on the descent into Bergamo.

A race too far for Roglic, considering his heavy Sep/Oct. Comes 3rd to Biaggioli in a 6 way sprint 1 min back.

The two Yeats & Carapaz made up the rest.