Procycling thread

myshkin

On 14/08/2023 at 09:22, printer said:

Really enjoyed the road championships, didn't really watch anything else. The race yesterday was as good a women's one as I've seen, with the strongest rider eventually prevailing with everyone else giving their all and just falling short.

Lizzie Deignan rode a brilliant race tactically, but just didn't have the miles in her legs at the end.

It was also great to see so many people out watching the road events both in Glasgow, Stirling and along the routes. TV coverage also did a great job of showing Scotland off. Great event and maybe we can get another major road race here again before too long.

Oh, and a mention for young Scot Anna Shackley for picking up bronze in the U23 category. 

I think for all there were people airing their tepid takes on how the course was rubbish, you cannot argue that the strongest riders were either the eventual winners or at least in the mix for all the road races. Had an absolutely smashing time at all of them and the TT through in Stirling. 

In more transfer news, Dani Martinez is the latest Ineos rider to leave, going to Bahrain Victorious I think. Rumours abound that Ineos are going to sign Remco and Primosz Roglic although other that's not quite as wild as the rumour of a merger/takeover between Ineos and Soudal Quick-Step to get around Remco's contract and sponsorship situation. Looks to me like Radcliffe is getting bored and wouldn't surprise me of they pull out; you'd think a team like Sky/Ineos would be able to get a new sponsor but would they put as much money in?

In terms of racing, Jumbo-Visma confirming that Sepp Kuss (who I only learned this year is American!) will support the Roglic/Vinegaard effort. With Remco defending his title, and Thomas and Bernal leading the Ineos team, and Carapaz riding for EF it'll have 6 GT winners including all three holders. Can't see past Vinegaard unless be gets told to let Primosz win tbh. Would be good if Thomas can at least get a podium finish to have that on his palmares for all three GTs but there's a lot of tough climbs and I'm not sure how strong a support team he'll have.

15 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Looks to me like Radcliffe is getting bored and wouldn't surprise me of they pull out; you'd think a team like Sky/Ineos would be able to get a new sponsor but would they put as much money in?

I'd be surprised if Ineos pulled out. Relatively speaking this won't be taking up as much money in their portfolio as their football teams/formula one involvement etc. And it's a prime sports washing vehicle for their vehicle the team is named after which is a big brute of a petrol/diesel. 

1 hour ago, kiddy said:

No place for TGH on Ineos Vuelta team.

16D982BB-16DF-4922-AA8E-CD73D9C10DCD.jpeg

As far as I am aware he's nowhere near ready to return from injury? When Ineos announced his departure they said then they wouldn't see him in their kit again. 

Anyway, the UAE squad looks mighty strong, if anything their big issue is who do they ride for in a pinch with Vine, Ayuso, Soler and Almeida all taking part

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:

Anyway, the UAE squad looks mighty strong, if anything their big issue is who do they ride for in a pinch with Vine, Ayuso, Soler and Almeida all taking part

They will probably take a leaf out of Movistar's book and f**k it up for all of them.

3 hours ago, kiddy said:

Well I've just done that and can reveal the top 3 will be... 

3rd Almeda, 2nd Thomas, 1st... Vinegaard. 

In some good news for Ineos for once, their young rider who came 3rd in the TT at the World's and whose name escapes me, has become the joint record holder for youngest winner of a world tour stage. A record he shares with Remco.

5 hours ago, jaggyness said:

Tijl de Decker: Belgian cyclist, 22, dies after training accident - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/66619682

I worked wi a guy who did the same. Rode right into the back of a car, & could so easily have had the same outcome.

If course it was the talk of the shop &  everybody ripped him for it, with various jokes made, but he still bears scarring from it.

Had to laugh at the gap between 16th & 17th, 2min 2.😂🤣😂

Makes you think AG2R, Jayco & Trek are stage hunting.

All other GC contenders just happy to get through it, as it sounded treacherous.

Edited by kiddy