Procycling thread

myshkin

Not sure how much of a GC battle we're likely to see. I'd at least expect Remco to have another dig. If he can get the deficit to Vingegaard below 1.30, I'd say he'll be very confident of overhauling him in the TT.

As for Pog, there is no need for him to do anything except mark Vingegaard and Remco.......so he'll likely attack about 40km out.

I think the likely scenario is today's stage goes to the break. I can see someone like Carapaz or Hindley taking it.

Either way, another cracker is on the cards

4 hours ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Not sure how much of a GC battle we're likely to see. I'd at least expect Remco to have another dig. If he can get the deficit to Vingegaard below 1.30, I'd say he'll be very confident of overhauling him in the TT.

As for Pog, there is no need for him to do anything except mark Vingegaard and Remco.......so he'll likely attack about 40km out.

I think the likely scenario is today's stage goes to the break. I can see someone like Carapaz or Hindley taking it.

Either way, another cracker is on the cards

Very close! Cracking day's action again today - won't spoil it in case people are waiting on the highlights show - and the scenery was amazing, especially on the second climb (and mental descent).

Stolen from Daniel Lloyd (from GCN/Eurosport):

Wins at WorldTour level in 2024:

18: Tadej Pogačar

11: UAE Team Emirates (WITHOUT Pogačar)

11: Soudal Quickstep

11: Alpecin Deceuninck

11: Visma Lease a BIke

10: LIDL Trek

8: Red Bull Bora Hansgrohe

6: Decathlon AG2R

6: Ineos Grenadiers

4: Intermarché - Wanty

4: EF Education Easypost

3: Bahrain Victorious

2: Groupama - FDJ

2: Team dsm-firmenich PostNL

2: Cofidis

1: Jayco AlUla

1: Astana Qazaqstan Team

1: Arkéa - B&B Hotels

1: Movistar Team 

Also, my own note - according to Gazetta dello Sport, Pogacar is about to sign a new long term extension to his UAE contract at an estimated $12 million per year. When you wee those numbers, you have to say he's worth it.

Looking back on previous stages, the tipping point on where the Tour was won/lost was the stage to Plateau de Beille. The exact moment, being 5.4km out; where Vingegaard, trying to ride Pogacar off the wheel, shakes his head knowing he’s at his limit & Pogacar launched his stage winning attack.

14 hours ago, stanton said:

Cavendish and two teammates finished at the cows tail today 43 minutes behind Pogacar 

I was actually surprised he’s not Lantern Rouge, his teammate Ballerini’s a minute behind him!

Was expecting an ITT akin to Cipo’s final one in the Giro, had he been first off.

WTF was that all about?🤷‍♂️ Break mops up most of the points on the first climb, 1 point remains, with UAE waving Carapaz through for it & Jorgensen sprints to deny him it! Don’t think Carapaz was too happy.

10 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Some reception Cavendish got as he crossed the line. Christian Preudhomme waited to have a word too. Twitter link

Heart as big as a lion's.

I've seen a couple of stages of the Tour in France. The first one was 2018 to La Rosiere. The stage G first took yellow on his way to overall victory. We were near the bottom of the final climb in a little village called Seez. All the riders had passed and the crowd was beginning to disperse when we spotted a loan cyclist at the bottom of the climb. It was Cav. Refusing to give up, despite that being the easy option. I gave him as big a cheer as I gave anyone.

12 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Indeed.

"Armstrong, who was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles after admitting to using EPO and other drugs"

Err, no. He didn't admit anything until after his guilt had been established and he'd been stripped of his titles. 

Fair play to Cav, he could have chucked it various times this race, going right back to Stage 1. Even from the middle of this week with no more sprint finishes in store and only a few days of suffering to come it would have been very easy to throw in the towel, but he has toughed it out to the end.

Edited by peasy23