Procycling thread

myshkin

*resident doping conspiracist enters thread*

Well, aye. I have a few questions about this.

1. Why didn't she appeal missed test number 1 until after missed test number 3?

2. Why the f**k is a governing body paying for an athlete's appeal against an anti doping agency? Imagine the fallout if the Russian Athletics Federation paid the legal bills of a Russian athlete against RUSADA. But aye, those Russians are cheating b*****ds eh?

3. If she knew she was likely to have a visit from testers at 6am that morning, why was her phone on silent? I assume that was the time she had advised the doping control officer she was available, so, again, why was her phone on silent? Also, if she wasn't answering her mobile, why did no-one have the gumption to call her hotel room phone? Didn't they provide that number? If not, why not? Did the doping control leave a message on her mobile?

4. Why did no-one involved with British Cycling tell hotel staff that it was probable they were going to get a visit from a doping control officer?

5. Why, having missed the first test, did she not make damn sure she was available for the second? And having missed the second, why did she not ensure she was available for the third, knowing that she ran the risk of a four year ban if she missed it? Is there any reason why someone would miss three drug tests, aside from the obvious one?

6. Why was the World Champion being suspended for three weeks because of an anti doping violation (and missing three tests is an anti doping violation, make no mistake) not made public? I thought the UCI under Cookson was meant to be transparent? Why was she allowed to say that she missed the Giro Rosa and La Course due to "illness"? This stinks.

Enjoy your clean Olympic Games, guys.

*resident doping conspiracist leaves thread*

Can't argue with any of these questions. British Cycling seem like a really shady organisation.

The Inner Ring blog has a piece about this too and seems to hit the nail right on the head.

http://inrng.com/2016/08/armitstead-whereabouts-ukad-british-cycling

Sadly, I don't believe in pro cycling anymore either. It's Sport Entertainment akin to the WWF.

Out of interest, what sports do you believe in?

If I'm being honest, football. A sport that requires skill and finesse as well as base fitness.

Now I'm well aware that in the higher reaches, such as the EPL and CL, there will be players who are on PEDs.

Whereas in the SPFL, I don't believe there is a culture of taking drugs to enhance performance. And if there are any players on them, it will be an individual's choice opposed to team based doping a la Festina in the 90's or Team Sky's 'Marginal Gains'.

6. Why was the World Champion being suspended for three weeks because of an anti doping violation (and missing three tests is an anti doping violation, make no mistake) not made public? I thought the UCI under Cookson was meant to be transparent? Why was she allowed to say that she missed the Giro Rosa and La Course due to "illness"? This stinks.

This is the biggest concern for me. As blatant attempt to pervert the course of justice(in a sporting sense), you'll struggle to find. Imagine this had been Froome, Valverde, Contador, etc? Or even ahem, Micheal Rasmussen who after having missed three doping controls was suspended by the Danish federation whilst in the yellow jersey at the Tour de France.

7 minutes ago, Desert Nomad said:

This is the biggest concern for me. As blatant attempt to pervert the course of justice(in a sporting sense), you'll struggle to find. Imagine this had been Froome, Valverde, Contador, etc? Or even ahem, Micheal Rasmussen who after having missed three doping controls was suspended by the Danish federation whilst in the yellow jersey at the Tour de France.

Cookson has proved himself to be no better than McQuaid. He should be considering his position. He won't though.

Cookson has proved himself to be no better than McQuaid. He should be considering his position. He won't though.

Wonder what Hein Verbruggen is doing these days? Oh that's right, he's an honorary member of the IOC. All peas from the same pod imo.

If this current LA case involved a foreigner then I'm sure our press would be clamouring for then to be banned.

I Sky plussed it. The two they've done before with the Sky team have been good. 

On Armisted, I see she's released a statement saying that she did protest the first missed test with a written explanation but that it wasn't accepted at the time (I wonder why CAS accepted it when UKAD didn't), and that another missed test was due to the person who was assigned to make sure she didn't miss another leaving his post. All seems a bit too much like a Parlour Farce to me? 

In other news, the UCI have increased the number of World Tour events and now the Tour of California and London-Surrey Classic are included at that level. 

On 3 August 2016 at 09:26, paisleysaints said:

Just ask Jonathan Tiernan-Locke :) 

Anyone catch The Road to Rio with Bradley Wiggins last night??  Thought it was quite good

Tiernan-Locke was riding for Team Sky. The British team were riding for him at the World Championships in the year that he was busted. 

David Millar nauseates me - https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2004/jul/02/cycling.tourdefrance2004

Britain's leading cyclist David Millar was yesterday placed under formal investigation under France's anti-drug laws for possession of dangerous substances after confirming to a Paris judge that he had used the banned blood-booster erythropoietin in three week-long courses in 2001 and 2003. 

"He wants it known that he is deeply sorry for this," his sister Frances said yesterday. "He did not want to live a lie any longer. He has told the judge the truth, but the main thing he wishes to make clear is that this was his individual decision and he has to take responsibility for his decisions.

"Particular people have been very helpful and supportive of him," she added in a probable reference to the national governing body British Cycling's lottery-supported world class performance plan, which backed Millar this year when he was apparently riding "clean". "He has told everything and now hopefully he can get on with his life," Frances Millar said.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/07/09/sport/david-millar-tour-de-france-doping-cycling/index.html

"Millar was having dinner with Dave Brailsford, now performance director at British Cycling and Team Sky, when French police arrived to arrest the cyclist, throwing him in a cell and outing him as a drugs cheat."

Frances Millar now works for Team Sky - http://www.teamsky.com/teamsky/staff/article/17368#WyAgl7G6AVzBCDcr.97

"Fran Millar holds a dual role as both Director of Business Operations and Head of Winning Behaviours." 

Edited by Bishop Briggs
Trying to change font size.

Just ask Jonathan Tiernan-Locke [emoji4] 

Anyone catch The Road to Rio with Bradley Wiggins last night??  Thought it was quite good

Thanks for the heads up re the Wiggins show. Got it on demand last night. What a good view it was, even though I did shed a wee tear when he met the guy who had cancer (wtf is happening to me!!).

I love the training side of things and would love to know the wattages they're doing along with the number of max efforts they do. I guess they can't reveal too much though.

The team pursuit is the event I'm most looking forward to in the olympics tbh.

I can't help but like Wiggins. Absolute poetry in motion on a bike when he's in TT mode.

2 hours ago, Daydream said:

Thanks for the heads up re the Wiggins show. Got it on demand last night. What a good view it was, even though I did shed a wee tear when he met the guy who had cancer (wtf is happening to me!!).

I love the training side of things and would love to know the wattages they're doing along with the number of max efforts they do. I guess they can't reveal too much though.

The team pursuit is the event I'm most looking forward to in the olympics tbh.

I can't help but like Wiggins. Absolute poetry in motion on a bike when he's in TT mode.

Yeah it tugged at the heart strings that part.  I liked where he met the old boy in the park who had been there since a kid it's hard not to like him after watching it.  On the tour he won he came across abit of a tosser but you kinda understand why.