Procycling thread

myshkin

This doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know.  Whether you call it cheating or not is irrelevant.  What Wiggins, Sky, etc. have been doing is exploring ways to use the rules to their maximum extent, so if found out, they fall into an arguable grey area. 

I actually don't have a problem with riders and teams doing everything within the rules, even within grey areas of the rules, to gain a maximum advantage, but the galling thing with Sky is that they proclaimed from the start that they were whiter than white, so should have completely stayed clear of those grey areas.  Their credibility is pretty much zero now.

It's clear that's it's the rules themselves that are the biggest problem.  If you are going to ban a drug, ban it.  Don't allow people to use it for a medical condition because clever people are clearly going to going to find ways to enhance their performance regardless of their actual medical conditions.  If that means people with severe asthma (or whatever) can't compete at the highest level, tough shit.  

This doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know.  Whether you call it cheating or not is irrelevant.  What Wiggins, Sky, etc. have been doing is exploring ways to use the rules to their maximum extent, so if found out, they fall into an arguable grey area. 
I actually don't have a problem with riders and teams doing everything within the rules, even within grey areas of the rules, to gain a maximum advantage, but the galling thing with Sky is that they proclaimed from the start that they were whiter than white, so should have completely stayed clear of those grey areas.  Their credibility is pretty much zero now.
It's clear that's it's the rules themselves that are the biggest problem.  If you are going to ban a drug, ban it.  Don't allow people to use it for a medical condition because clever people are clearly going to going to find ways to enhance their performance regardless of their actual medical conditions.  If that means people with severe asthma (or whatever) can't compete at the highest level, tough shit.  
Agree with just about everything there. Brailsford's position is untenable imo given all his preaching about being whiter than white.

I've thought for a long time that the whole TUE system is a sham, and is wide open to abuse, especially when they dish out backdated TUEs.

I find it so sad that accusations can be made, where people can be accused of things they have never done which are then regarded as facts. I strongly refute the claim that any drug was used without medical need. I hope to have my say in the next few days & put my side across.

•  

I presume the report is covered by parliamentary privilege and therefore the authors cant be sued. It might have been more fun if Wiggo had been able to go to the "Court of Public Opinion" to see who was believed - would he have chanced it?

I thought that any input from David Walsh...the guy who,in 2001 asked why a clean rider would work with a dirty doctor (or one who retired rather than answer any awkward questions)....and his one time buddy,Paul Kimmage,might be of interest as this was the zealous duo whose efforts were instrumental in bringing Lance Armstrong to book.

Some interesting stuff here which kinda makes you wonder why,if you were building a team to win major cycling honours,you'd build it around two asthmatics,one of whom seems to have had a number of other health issues.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/he-was-once-a-dear-dear-friend-david-walsh-responds-to-paul-kimmages-criticism-of-his-coverage-of-team-sky-35081292.html

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/paul-kimmage-chris-froome/

Edited by tommyboy

^ Ruled out by the commissaires because he was over the time limit. Cavendish didn't even make it out of the neutralised zone on stage one of his last race in Abu Dhabi. He must be out of  Milan-San Remo as he's broken a rib - http://www.bbc.com/sport/amp/cycling/43328131.

His training plan for the Tour de France is falling apart even at that this early stage of the season - probably missing at least three to four weeks. The last few months have been terrible for British cycling.

On 05/03/2018 at 18:10, btb said:

I presume the report is covered by parliamentary privilege and therefore the authors cant be sued. It might have been more fun if Wiggo had been able to go to the "Court of Public Opinion" to see who was believed - would he have chanced it?

I believe so but the the report appears to have been written carefully to avoid making defamatory accusations. The evidence to back up the criticism is on the record with one exception - the anonymous "insider" who claimed that Sky used corticosteroids to prepare the 2012 Tour de France team. However, based on other evidence, it is possible. Wiggins' form on the road declined rapidly after his Olympic ITT victory and it never recovered. 

Nibali kicks on from about 7km out and takes the Milan San Remo just as the pack was closing in on him.

Horrible crash for Cavendish at about 10km out just as the peleton was starting to shift he went straight into a bollard in the middle of the road and was sent flying.

Horrible crash for Cavendish at about 10km out just as the peleton was starting to shift he went straight into a bollard in the middle of the road and was sent flying.

Looked a really sore one. Hope he's OK.

Brilliant from the Shark.

2 hours ago, printer said:

Looked a really sore one. Hope he's OK.

Brilliant from the Shark.

Recorded this earlier and just watched it

Brilliant finish and attack by Nibali 

The Cavendish crash was horrific but reports thankfully say no serious injury , just one fractured rib .

Why didn’t they have marshals at these bollards? 

Recorded this earlier and just watched it
Brilliant finish and attack by Nibali 
The Cavendish crash was horrific but reports thankfully say no serious injury , just one fractured rib .
Why didn’t they have marshals at these bollards? 
Police on entry to r/bout, but not on exit. Another rib, or same one?

• 1 month later...

Well the giro is underway after 3 stages in Israel. Dumoulin took the opening Time trial and the last two benign sprint stages have been won by Viviani from quickstep. Rest day tomorrow and then the racing should really begin in Italy.