Procycling thread

myshkin

I thought the clock stopped before Froome crossed the line, hence the confusion ensuing over Dumoulin's win.

Bit of a moment when Thomas locked his back wheel, his arse would have been twitching like a mouse's nose over that. But he eased off after the final time check, gifting the stage away, when firmly in the driving seat.

Can only deduce that will be the last time Froome & Thomas will compete on the same Sky team.

8 hours ago, kiddy said:

Can only deduce that will be the last time Froome & Thomas will compete on the same Sky team.

Aye I think that will be the eventuality. Froome kicked off back in 2012 about supporting Wiggins and Geraint will now think he could maybe do it again if the course is right.

Good to see Geraint win it though. Another one who has made the change from track and worked hard throughout the years.

Wonder if Froome will go for a Giro/Vuelta double next year, allowing Thomas to defend his title? Having said that, it was pretty much a perfect storm this year for Geraint - Froome and Dumoulin having been in the Giro, Porte and Nibali crashing out, Movistar not having a clue how to use their big three riders effectively, Froome losing time on the first stage etc. I can't see it all coming together in quite the same way next year, which might tempt Sky to do a dual leader thing next year - and if Froome misses the Giro (and doesn't have a doping case hanging over him) then you'd have to make him favourite at this early stage.

Will be interesting to see what Sky do at the Vuelta - Froome could try and defend it but I can't see it. Maybe Egan Bernal but maybe that's a few years off. Kenny Elisonde missed the Tour - could he be a team leader? Pouls is a good climber and the Vuelta favours climbing over anything else usually.

On a side note, it was a shame to hear that Chris Boardman is retiring from his punditry (and I imagine his co-commentary too, for World Championships and the like) duties. Presumably he's going to concentrate on his bike company and his performance centre? Boardman and Gary Imlach are as much a part of the Tour as the yellow jersey and sweeping helicopter shots of mountains.

Wonder if Froome will go for a Giro/Vuelta double next year, allowing Thomas to defend his title? Having said that, it was pretty much a perfect storm this year for Geraint - Froome and Dumoulin having been in the Giro, Porte and Nibali crashing out, Movistar not having a clue how to use their big three riders effectively, Froome losing time on the first stage etc. I can't see it all coming together in quite the same way next year, which might tempt Sky to do a dual leader thing next year - and if Froome misses the Giro (and doesn't have a doping case hanging over him) then you'd have to make him favourite at this early stage.

Will be interesting to see what Sky do at the Vuelta - Froome could try and defend it but I can't see it. Maybe Egan Bernal but maybe that's a few years off. Kenny Elisonde missed the Tour - could he be a team leader? Pouls is a good climber and the Vuelta favours climbing over anything else usually.

On a side note, it was a shame to hear that Chris Boardman is retiring from his punditry (and I imagine his co-commentary too, for World Championships and the like) duties. Presumably he's going to concentrate on his bike company and his performance centre? Boardman and Gary Imlach are as much a part of the Tour as the yellow jersey and sweeping helicopter shots of mountains.
David de la Cruz team leader for the vuelta maybe?

Anyone see the Bernal/Landa crash in the San Sebastien race? I only saw a clip of the aftermath but Sky have said Bernal suffered a "serious facial trauma" and Landa had a fractured lumbar vertebrae. I guess that puts them both out of the Vuelta.
Apparently the crash wasn't caught on camera. As you say Landa has a fractured L1 vertebrae. Bernal has a broken nose and maxillary injury, whatever that is. American Ben King has apologised for causing the crash, with this report suggesting that Landa may still ride the Vuelta.

https://www.velonews.com/2018/08/news/king-apologizes-for-causing-san-sebastian-crash_474032

• 2 weeks later...

I'd forget Nibali, he's just written his chances right off. Only just got back in the bike & said he was riding in some degree of pain and discomfort.

I'd go for Porte, if he can stay upright.

David de la Cruz team leader for the vuelta maybe?
Good shout, confirmed by Sky. Kwiatokowski will be a plan B I guess if he can keep his form in the mountains.

Both Yates brothers are riding which will be interesting. Fabio Aru, Stephen Kjijswijk (not even close to the right spelling!) and the Movistar lads the favourites?

Simon Yates the favourite at the bookies.  I fancy Miguel angel Lopez at 5/1. Super climber who has a strong team behind him. Looks likely to be a really close grand tour for a change.

Sepp kuss for lotto nl jumbo may be one to watch, just won tour of utah and they are calling him the next le mond/ american gc contender.