Procycling thread

myshkin

Wiggins doesn`t hold back!

http://www.cyclingne...-of-his-critics

That's you he is talking about.:P

I've got to admit, a couple of years ago, I thought SKY were going to have to get a real leader in as I thought Wiggins didn't have it in him. so fair play to him and his team.

If SKY are doping, Froome will soon be a Kenyan and Wiggins will be Belgian born again.

some questions for wiggins from another forum.

1. Brad, after you improved dramatically in 2009 to finish fourth overall at the Tour de France, you were interviewed by Daniel Benson from cyclingnews.com (interview published here: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wigg...be-made-public).

You stated in that interview that you understood why some people thought you doped. Specifically, you said “I think it was the natural thing. Everyone thought I was on gear after that and I can’t blame people for that.” You also said ““I would have thought the same thing about someone who had come from absolutely out of nowhere from the gruppetto and finished fourth on the Tour”.

Yesterday, you stated that people on the internet that think you and or Team Sky are doping are “c*nts”, “w*ankers” and “bone-idle”.

Can you please explain why you thought it was natural to speculate you were doping in 2009, but now anyone who speculates that you dope is a “c*nt”?

2. Brad, in an interview with L’Equipe earlier this year, you stated that “It would be nice to be part of it in a positive way, because there aren’t a lot of Tour winners who you can believe in. For the first time last year, you had a Tour winner who everyone could believe in. He is a fantastic ambassador for the sport, he works hard, he didn’t win by showing off, but with great determination. So to be able to follow on from somebody like him would be nice, rather than doing it after somebody had a positive test hanging over his head for a year or two.” (Source: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wigg...-france-winner).

Since even you don’t believe that many Tour de France winners have been clean, does that mean that you too are a are “c*nt”, “w*anker” and “bone-idle”, or are you just a hypocrite?

3. Earlier this year, Team Sky met with the owners of le Tour de France, ASO, and presented them training data, power details and information to justify your performances this year (source: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sky-...tine-team-says).

Can you confirm that you presented ASO with your training data to allay suspicions about your performance? Can you also advise if you think the ASO are “c*nts”, “w*ankers” and “bone-idle”?

4. In response to the news that Team Sky had met with ASO, a spokesman for the team told cyclingnews.com that: ““We felt it’s our job to be transparent and tell people what we’re doing, and the more we can tell people the less mystery there is. We’re not doing it to try and convince them we’re clean, we are clean. We’re meeting them because we’re genuinely proud of the work we doing and they enjoyed what we had to show them.”

If Team Sky is genuinely proud about the work you are doing, why have you been transparent with the ASO and given them access to your data, but not been transparent with the fans and general public? In order to allay suspicions, will you publish on the internet all training data, training plans, blood testing data and the like not just for Brad Wiggins, but for every rider on Team Sky?

5. In July 2009, in a bid to prove that you had raced clean at the 2009 Tour de France, where you finished 4th, you published your blood passport data for the period February 16, 2008 to July 28, 2009. You later told cyclingnews.com, in an interview, that:

“I think they should make these things public. The whole blood passport should be on [the] internet, every rider in the peloton. I don’t see why it shouldn’t be. It’s got to that stage now where if there’s nothing to hide why aren’t they up there? You can pull up in any walk of life, company accounts, people’s tax and that’s public knowledge, so I don’t see why the blood passport shouldn’t be public knowledge. It will silence people or challenge certain things but I don’t see what harm it would do. It would give you credibility in the public’s eyes … but I don’t think everyone would agree to it, maybe for moral reasons or people thinking that it might be an invasion of privacy.” (Source: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wigg...be-made-public).

Since you have not published any of your blood passport data since that time, does that mean, by your own words, that you have something to hide? Again, if you have nothing to hide, will you now publish your blood passport data on the internet for the period July 29, 2009 to today’s date?

6. You have been quoted as saying that when you concentrated on your track career, you weighed 82 kg, and that now you weigh 71 kg (source: http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour...n-and-drinking) .

When you were a track athlete, you were an elite athlete, a multiple world and Olympic champion. You were in peak physical condition. Your BMI would have been very low, and there would have been little if any fat on your frame that you could lose. Realistically therefore, when you lost the 11kg after concentrating on road racing, you primarily lost 11kg of muscle mass.

According to the book "Human Anatomy and Physiology" the average male adult is made up of approximately 42 percent skeletal muscle. (Source: http://www.livestrong.com/article/36...ody-mass-bone/). At 82kg, you would therefore have had 33.62kg (approximately) of skeletal muscle mass.

Can you please explain to the internet skeptics how you could lose one third of your skeletal muscle mass, but not lose any power? Indeed, can you please explain how you can lose one third of your muscle mass, and actually increase your power?

7. You stated in 2007, when your team Cofidis was ejected from the tour, that:

"Hopefully in two years time when I return to the Tour I might be the Prologue winner or I might win the Time Trial and be a credible Time Trial winner because I haven't beaten someone by two and a half minutes. Credible, clean riders are what's gonna be the future of the sport." (Source: http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/...new-generation).

Since your winning time today was 57 seconds quicker than the 4 time world time trial champion, 1min 43s quicker than a noted time trailer like Cadel Evans, or 2min 08s quicker than multiple grand tour winner and noted time trialist Dennis Menchov, and 2min 16s quicker than the current world time trial champion, can you explain to the skeptics why they should think your performance today was credible?

Banesto never dominated the way the other 3 did, I`d say ONCE were the dominant team at the time, just couldn`t win the Tour, they swept up everything else! Name the one thing ONCE, Mapei, Festina & Telekom had in common... dry.gif

Pez dispensers.

That's you he is talking about.:P

I've got to admit, a couple of years ago, I thought SKY were going to have to get a real leader in as I thought Wiggins didn't have it in him. so fair play to him and his team.

If SKY are doping, Froome will soon be a Kenyan and Wiggins will be Belgian born again.

Indeed he is! But T_S_A_R has just backed what I was saying in that quoted post from the CN forum. He`s certainly not stupid, so he knows as leader of the Tour he`ll have to field question after question about it. Wiggins has never been shy from backing away from the doping issue in the past & confronting the doubters, yet now we are a shower of c***s!

Edit: in other news: Armstrong`s desperate attempt to block the USADA investigation dismissed by judge.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/18772583

Edited by Desert Nomad

Bonjour,

Just thought I would pop by on transfusion day and give my opinion on the race so far.....

Bwaaahhhhaaaahhaaaaa.... :1eye :1eye :1eye:eek: :eek: :eek::bairn :bairn :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ......bwaaahhhaaaaahhhhaa

Michael Rodgers the mountain goat :1eye :1eye :1eye :1eye :1eye

Busy day for Gert Leinders..........

Wiggo Wristbands, that's the answer

i've been calling them uk postal all year. i can't say i'm that suprised.

watching mick rogers who has been god awful for a good few years drop most of the favourites was a joke.

I tweetered carlton kirby asking if sky were the new us postal. He actually read it out to harmon and kelly without a hint of irony.

It's a game I'm going to play for the rest of the tour - see how far I can push it without being too obvious. :)

http://www.cyclesportmag.com/news-and-comment/brailsford-addresses-doctor-dilemma-we-are-100-per-cent-clean/

n the world of professional cycling, where guilt by association is assumed and a team’s clean image can be compromised by individuals with a murky past, it was a surprising decision by Team Sky to hire a doctor who was at Rabobank during the time Michael Rasmussen was kicked off the 2007 Tour de France and when Thomas Dekker tested positive for EPO. However, Team Sky’s Dave Brailsford told Cycle Sport that recruiting Dr Geert Leinders, who is not at the Tour de France, did not mean the team was engaged in doping. He also explained the circumstances that led to Team Sky rewriting its policy of recruiting medical staff from outside professional cycling.

Leinders’s role at Rabobank came under scrutiny earlier this year when the team’s former manager Theo De Rooy told a Dutch newspaper, Vokskrant: “Management never encouraged doping. If there was, then it was a deliberate decision of the medical staff. But when it comes to medical care, you must find the line between doping and medical aid. Riders’ health, in the short or long term, is paramount.”

“Does that imply [Leinders] was doping? That’s nothing against him specifically. Call me naive, call me what you want… we are not doping and we know we’re not going to dope,” said Brailsford at Sky’s rest day hotel at Quincié-en-Beaujolais.

“I categorically, 100 per cent say that there’s no risk of anything untoward happening in this team since he [Leinders] has been with us. I’ve seen nothing and neither have the full-time medics. I’d put my life on it. He’s done nothing wrong here, but we have a reputational risk.”

When Team Sky was set up, Brailsford said he would not hire anyone who had an association with doping. It was a strong message but given generations of doping abuse in the sport it also appeared to be an idealistic and unrealistic goal.

But Brailsford did decide the team should hire British medical staff who had not worked inside professional cycling before.

However, the harrowing experience at the 2010 Vuelta a Espana led to a rethink of that medical policy.

Txema Gonzalez, one of the team’s carers, contracted a bacterial infection which entered the bloodstream. The toxins damaged his organs and he went into septic shock. The Spaniard, who was 43, died in hospital.

At the same time, the riders were struck with a stomach bug. In heat approaching 40 degrees, some of them were vomiting on the road. For a worrying 12-hour period they thought they had the same virus as Gonzalez. Team Sky’s Dr Steve Peters, the head of the medical operation at the time, confirmed that the bacterial infection that killed Gonzalez was nothing to do with the virus that affected the riders.

When Gonzalez was taken to hospital, Brailsford and another of Team Sky’s doctors, Dr Richard Freeman, flew from Liverpool to Spain. When they landed, Brailsford switched on his phone to the news Gonzalez had died.

“When someone dies on your team and you feel you’re putting riders at risk… for all we knew the riders could have had the same thing.

“We sat down and realised that as a group of people we did not know enough about looking after people in extreme heat, with extreme fatigue. We were making calls like ‘no, on you go mate’.”

Two days before the start of the Tour, Brailsford talked to Cycle Sport about the decision to hiring Dr Leinders. He admitted that he should have addressed the issue publicly in May, when De Rooy made his claims. However, he said he would not judge until he had determined all the facts.

A Dutchman, Dr Leinders worked for Rabobank from 1996 to 2009. Before that he had worked for other professional teams, including Histor and Panasonic.

In 2007, the Danish rider Michael Rasmussen was withdrawn from the Tour de France while he was wearing the yellow jersey because it was discovered he had lied to anti-doping officials about his whereabouts, allegedly to avoid being tested out-of-competition.

Dr Leinders left Rabobank in 2009. Also in 2009, the Rabobank rider Thomas Dekker was suspended after a sample taken in 2007 was tested retrospectively and found to contain EPO.

Brailsford’s search for doctors with experience in professional cycling was a frustrating one. Finding experienced, respected doctors with detailed knowledge of the demands placed on athletes by events like the Tour de France who had not worked for professional cycling teams was, Brailsford said, not easy. Dr Leinders came highly recommended.

Dr Leinders, first worked with the team in late 2010 and was contracted, on a freelance basis, to do 80 days in 2011 and another 80 days this year.

“You have to base it on facts,” said Brailsford. “Has the guy cheated while he’s been with us? No. Has the guy been a good doctor? Yes, brilliant. The guy really understands.

“This is not about doping. We’re pushing the guys to their limits, so we need to look after them. It’s about genuine medical practice.

“I’ll give you an example – saddle sores. Some of the sores the guys get are horrendous. Edvald [boasson Hagen] had a really bad one and we thought ‘will we be able to send him to the Tour? Do we operate?’ Only a guy who has seen an awful lot of saddle sores can assess that and answer that question.

“There’s nothing he [Leinders] has done since he’s been here to give me any concern. We have had discussions with him and once we’ve established the facts, we will take the appropriate action.”

On the day that Remy Di Gregorio was suspended by Cofidis after he was questioned by police about alleged doping, Brailsford said: “I don’t know the story, or what the guy has done but another one getting arrested under suspicion is the last thing you want to read. It makes me more determined that we keep doing it the right way, that we do it clean and that we prove you can win the biggest bike races clean.”

did you actually ask him if he doped anyone at rabobank dave?

instead we get a sob story - which makes no sense because leinders has been doing prep rather race work - and a load of bull about saddle sores.

Nibali attacks on the descent, and has Sagan for help up the road in the break. Liquigas showing they are at least willing to have a go at attacking Sky.

Edit: scrap that Ritchie Porte is obviously a much better climber than Nibali laugh.gif

Porte pulled back Nibali for a minute on the climb after doing nearly all the work for Wiggins over the previous Hors categorie climb, ffs laugh.giflaugh.gif

Edited by Desert Nomad

Edit: scrap that Ritchie Porte is obviously a much better climber than Nibali :lol:

Porte pulled back Nibali for a minute on the climb after doing nearly all the work for Wiggins over the previous Hors categorie climb, ffs :lol: :lol:

and he finished pretty much in the favourites group :lol:

i was looking at the 2010 giro when porte got pink after the big aquila breakaway. in the next 8 stages while porte was defending the young riders jersey nibali took 11 minutes out of him, pretty much taking two minutes on every climbing stage.

changed days.

and he finished pretty much in the favourites group :lol:

i was looking at the 2010 giro when porte got pink after the big aquila breakaway. in the next 8 stages while porte was defending the young riders jersey nibali took 11 minutes out of him, pretty much taking two minutes on every climbing stage.

changed days.

According to Liggett & Sherwen in commentary, Porte could have been a rider for the podium had he not had to work for Wiggins blink.giflaugh.gifdry.gif