Procycling thread

myshkin

Eurosport's coverage will vary from day to day. It's very annoying at weekends, especially if their is some shite tennis or motor cycling event on.

If you have HD, it'll start earlier on there.

I'm going for Nibali this year, if he is riding. Going to be astrange Tour, what with London right at the back of it. Cycling has been affected more than any other sport with the new professional Olympic Games if you ask me.

uk postal comes out in support of us postal

Geraint Thomas hopes Lance Armstrong clears name

Geraint Thomas hopes seven-time Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong clears his name of doping allegations to protect cycling from further damage to its reputation.

The US Anti-doping Agency (USADA) has charged Armstrong with a series of offences, allegations Armstrong has described as "baseless".

"It's bad for the whole sport really," Thomas told BBC Radio Wales.

He added that the sport had a "dodgy past" but had "improved massively".

"The main thing is the sport is getting dragged though the mud again and it definitely has a dodgy past," Thomas said.

"Back in the day it wasn't a very good sport on that front, but in the last decade or so it has improved massively and I think it is moving in the right direction.

"But [Armstrong] is such an iconic figure in cycling that whenever he gets dragged through the mud the whole of the sport does.

[/url]"He has had numerous allegations thrown at him through the years but hopefully he hasn't done anything wrong. Hopefully people can let it go." Thomas, who has been selected for the GB track team pursuit cycling team at London 2012, added he does not want the Armstrong case to be dragged out unnecessarily.

"Hopefully [the USADA] will come to a decision quickly and it won't get dragged out for the next few months," said Thomas, who was the youngest rider at the 2007 Tour de France.

The allegations against Armstrong include previously unpublicised claims of doping in 2009 and 2010, reports say.

The 40-year-old has been immediately banned from competing in triathlons, a sport he took up after his retirement from cycling in 2011.

"I have never doped," Armstrong said in a statement on his website.

"These charges are baseless [and] motivated by spite."

In its 15-page letter, USADA said its investigation included evidence dating back to 1996 and accused Armstrong of a "pervasive pattern of doping" over many years.

It says it collected blood samples from him in 2009 and 2010 that were "fully consistent with blood manipu­la­tion including EPO use and/or blood transfusions".

and interesting to note that usada think believe they have evidence of blood doping in 2009 when wiggins finished sandwiched between lance and kloden in 4th.

On phone so can't quote.

Sagan will ride the Tour. Could be a contender for Green, but like Cavendish may have an eye on Olympic gold also. Don't think Cav & Sagan have battled much in the sprints. Cav should win the more traditional high speed flat stages, but Sagan has a bit of staying power in the mountains & rolling stages.

Nibali will also ride & is a teammate of Sagan. Good bet for a top 5 finish, can climb & not completely rubbish in TT.

Why the f**k would Thomas care about Armstrong? They barely raced together. And as a "clean" rider he should be saying Lance should get what's coming to him. Amateur stuff from the Welshman

On phone so can't quote.

Sagan will ride the Tour. Could be a contender for Green, but like Cavendish may have an eye on Olympic gold also. Don't think Cav & Sagan have battled much in the sprints. Cav should win the more traditional high speed flat stages, but Sagan has a bit of staying power in the mountains & rolling stages.

Nibali will also ride & is a teammate of Sagan. Good bet for a top 5 finish, can climb & not completely rubbish in TT.

Why the f**k would Thomas care about Armstrong? They barely raced together. And as a "clean" rider he should be saying Lance should get what's coming to him. Amateur stuff from the Welshman

I'm on the phone just now. To quote just press the arrow on the top right of the post you want to quote.

As for Thomas, I think he just wants to believe that Armstrong is clean. Also, he will be aware of the damage to the sport's reputation if its biggest star is found to have cheated. I don't think he is supporting Armstrong as such.

As for Thomas, I think he just wants to believe that Armstrong is clean. Also, he will be aware of the damage to the sport's reputation if its biggest star is found to have cheated. I don't think he is supporting Armstrong as such.

thomas has been in the pro peloton for a few years now. he knows exactly what armstrong was up to.

whenever wiggins pops back up there are few difficult questions for him about lance and the 09 podium.

hincapie, zabriskie, van de velde and leipheimer have all withdrawn themselves from olympic consideration.

so you can add the four of them to landis and hamilton and we know six out of the ten riders who have came clean.

Edited by T_S_A_R

Anyone thinking about betting on the Tour? Frank Schleck and Sami Sanchez at 28/1 look appealing for relative outsiders.

Most bookmakers are offering 1/4 odds 1,2,3 so with Evans & Wiggins clear favourites, there`s plenty value to make the podium.

Nibali 25/1

Sanchez 33/1

Gesink 28/1

Last year Ladbrokes offered bets on guys to finish in the top 10 which had some cracking bets on it. I had Tommy Danielson and Rein Taramaae for top 10 finishes last year at some really good prices. I'd imagine they'll offer the bet again.

Ladbroked - Outright winner.

Wiggins 5/4 and Cadel 9/4. I can't see past either of these two so will probably leave this market alone as I can't see any real value.

Ladbrokes - Top 10 finish.

Rein Taramaae at 10/1, Voeckler at 8/1.

Ladbrokes- Green jersey.

Cavendish 3/1, that'll do me.

Ladbrokes - King of the Mountains.

Some really good odds here as expected with Chris Anker Sorensen the favourite at 13/2. Sanchez 8/1 to retain. I may be tempted by Pierre Rolland at 20/1. Maybe a £1 on DiGregorio.

Edited by Shuggie_Murray7

Last year Ladbrokes offered bets on guys to finish in the top 10 which had some cracking bets on it. I had Tommy Danielson and Rein Taramaae for top 10 finishes last year at some really good prices. I'd imagine they'll offer the bet again.

Ladbroked - Outright winner.

Wiggins 5/4 and Cadel 9/4. I can't see past either of these two so will probably leave this market alone as I can't see any real value.

Ladbrokes - Top 10 finish.

Rein Taramaae at 10/1, Voeckler at 8/1.

Ladbrokes- Green jersey.

Cavendish 3/1, that'll do me.

Ladbrokes - King of the Mountains.

Some really good odds here as expected with Chris Anker Sorensen the favourite at 13/2. Sanchez 8/1 to retain. I may be tempted by Pierre Rolland at 20/1. Maybe a £1 on DiGregorio.

As mentioned the only value in the outright market is if you go e/w on somebody like Sanchez.

Kruijswijk at 5/1 for top 10 is a decent shout for me, double it up at 11/10 for the young rider comp.

KOM is such a lottery, just depends on who takes the jersey & wants to defend it, I`ll be avoiding that market.

Green Jersey is a straight fight between Sagan & Cav. Didn`t realise they had Sagan into evens. If Cav looks like he`ll take green in Paris he`ll last the pace, if not he won`t go to Paris.

Going by current form, Sagan will wrap Green up pretty easily, he's simply immense in any flat stage - though I don't expect Cav to make it to Paris anyway. Also, he seems to be entirely focused on the Olympics to such a degree that he's traded his sprint speed for weight loss in order to last the pace at the front over the 9 climbs of Box Hill and got his first ever GC victory last week, afaik he didn't manage a single stage win during that event. I'm not sure how many stage wins he's going to get in the Tour, it's just not his goal. The team is also set up for Wiggins pretty heavily.

As for the 28th of July, I've got a bit of a fancy for Boonen for Gold... if he can peak again (edit - I see he's won his National jersey this weekend so perhaps so).

Elsewhere, the British champions jersey passes from Brad Wiggins to...

Ian Stannard

I've spoilered it in case anyone wants to watch the highlights on ITV4 tomorrow.

Edited by Jim Leighton

Just saw something about Sagan on another forum and made me wonder - will Liquigas want him going for the Green jersey?

Lotto Belisol will likely ride for Andre Greipel and his train - he might be a very decent shout for Green.

cav should go for green.

i don't see how gb is going to be able to control a 250km race with four domestiques, there will be too many attackers to cover on the hill.

I think his best bet is to hunt stage wins then take it from there. Actually looking forward to seeing him up against Sagan.