Procycling thread

myshkin

Been a very good week for Tom Boonen, 3 wins in that time.

Gotta be considered again for Paris-Roubaix next weekend, especially with Cancellara ruled out. Hushovd was well of the pace at Flanders, will be interesting to see if he can get up to the front at Roubaix.

The Scheldeprijs, 5th Flanders Classic of the season and one for the sprinters, takes place today.

A strong field: http://www.scheldepr...ce/participants

http://sp.pro.p.asse....pdf?1333468730

Cycling TV http://http://www.cycling.tv are providing free live coverage from 2.50pm.

Edited by Jim Leighton

'crashfest' at Scheldeprijs in Belgium, with Marcel Kittel winning the sprint from Tyler Farrar. A photographer was ran over as the riders crossed the line, wasn't looking to clever.

In the World Tour event Tour of Basque Country, Samuel Sanchez won an edge of seat mountain sprint from Rodriguez of Katusha and Horner of Radioshack Nissan Trek.

Astana's Robert Kiserlovski saw his solo breakaway founder with 3km to go in the 5th stage of the Vuelta al Pais Vasco, overpowered by Samuel Sanchez and yellow jersey holder Joachin Rodriguez with the latter winning on the line.

I also see the four wildcards for the '2nd Division' Pro Continental teams have been announced for this year's Tour de France today.

For anyone interested, the top 18 teams have to enter every major event, but there are always invites to their competitions for those outside the elite, in the form of wildcards. Being a French race, not much surprise that 3 of the invites go to top French sides in the 2nd tier Pro Continental circuit, Europcar, Saur Sojasun and Cofidis. All 3 were invited last year too, and with the other wildcard from last year FDJ promoted to World Tour status for 2012, the 4th spot has gone (perhaps not that surprisingly seeing as the tour boss Christian Prudhomme was at their sponsor's launch last week) to Argos Shimano, previously til then Project 14Ti.

Bretagne Schuller, the 3rd best French Pro Continental side going by the present rankings...

1 (2) ENDURA RACING Great Britain 468.8

2 (1) SAUR - SOJASUN France 466

3 (10) TEAM NETAPP Germany 349.4

4 (5) TEAM EUROPCAR France 306

5 (7) BRETAGNE - SCHULLER France305

6 (4) TEAM TYPE 1 - SANOFI United States 292

7 (3) COFIDIS, LE CREDIT EN LIGNE France 285

8 (6) PROJECT 1T4I Netherlands 253

9 (15) TOPSPORT VLAANDEREN - MERCATOR Belgium 181

10 (-) ADRIA MOBIL Slovenia 169

...are far from pleased about their omission with their boss threatening to reconsider the team's existence.

Edited by Jim Leighton

Boonen seems to be steamrollering the Paris-Roubaix, went on a solo breakaway with 60km to go, currently has a 1 min lead inside the last 30kms.

Cav's next race will be Tour de Romandie at the end of April.

http://www.teamsky.com/races/0,27631,2012,00.html#month=4

He withdrew from Scheldeprijs for the birth of the wee girl.

that was some performance from boonen.

quick step aren't half dominating this year. last year i predicted evans climbing would remarkably improve at the tour. this year i think levi will at least make the podium.

Edited by T_S_A_R

that was some performance from boonen.

quick step aren't half dominating this year.

There are a few cynical and not so cynical theories as to why they've started so well. The latter including lack of competition, luck and the fact that no other teams have set out to dominate the Spring classics.

There are a few cynical and not so cynical theories as to why they've started so well. The latter including lack of competition, luck and the fact that no other teams have set out to dominate the Spring classics.

i dont think powering away with over 50 km to go in paris roubaix and staying away has anything to do with luck unless you think the chasing riders got their tactics wrong(and i think sky did,as they usually do),more like bags of guts,strength and determination.im sure Fabian Cancellara,who did similar a couple of years back,will be first to say "respect" though doubtless there'll be whisperings with boonens victory as there were with fabians

i dont think powering away with over 50 km to go in paris roubaix and staying away has anything to do with luck unless you think the chasing riders got their tactics wrong(and i think sky did,as they usually do),more like bags of guts,strength and determination.im sure Fabian Cancellara,who did similar a couple of years back,will be first to say "respect" though doubtless there'll be whisperings with boonens victory as there were with fabians

Luck perhaps as in he didn't get a puncture on the bad sections of cobbles or get caught in any bad pile up. Luck perhaps that Cancellara ran over a water bottle two weeks ago therefore wasn't fit to race.

or it's the dodgy doctor they brought over from lotto.

Edited by T_S_A_R