Procycling thread

myshkin

Brian Smith and Carlton Kirby have managed to get their season's worth of euphemisms out in one race it would seem, dealing with Mr Gabrovsky's exploits so far in the Tour of Turkey which for me has been a bit more lively than the TD Romandie thus far. Both Romandie finishes have been slight damp squibs because the commentary team of Jones & Harmon keep mis-judging the distance to the finish, not helped by poor camera angles.

On stage 1, Harmon announced Wiggins was heading into the 2kms to go as he went under a green banner and then soon after that he suggested he was about to enter the last km, yet next shot it was 50m to go and the 'sprint' was over. Then yesterday again a lack of idea about where they were on the run in. TV usually focuses on the flame rouge '1km to go' which hasn't happened on this tour, or Dave & Co haven't noticed it's green this time around.

it looks to me like wiggins has his eye of sports personality of the year. winning the tour and a home olympic gold in the same year would make him an all time sporting legend in the uk.

it's going to be a fun summer. i have a feeling the credibilty of road cycling is about to take a massive jump in this country.

So nearly time for the Giro which is actually starting in Denmark.

Scarponi(cheat) will get Contador`s(uber cheat) Maglia Rosa from 2011 awarded to him this week. He`ll also start as pre-race favourite.

J-Rod will fight, but again be let down by his woeful TT ability.

Frank Schleck? Who knows? He`ll probably just be wondering where his brother is.

Cunego, prob just hunt for stage wins, go after the Maglia Rosa early in the race, a possible back-up to Scarponi.

Gadret has a pretty decent record at the Giro, an outsider.

Nieve, the only hope from Spain I can see.

Basso, has won it twice in the past, decent team to back him up, probably over the hill though.

Sylvester Smyd, team-mate of Basso & shown some decent form recently, bags of potential.

Farrar & Cav for the sprints, Hushovd badly needs a a couple of wins also. Rujano to find some form in the mountains?

Edited by Desert Nomad

So nearly time for the Giro which is actually starting in Denmark.

Frank Schleck? Who knows? He`ll probably just be wondering where his brother is.

i think frank with bruyneel in his corner will have a bit more class than the rest of them.

i wouldn't be suprised to see a cobo - froome type suprise package either.

Matt Goss takes todays stage.

Cav wiped out in the sprint with 200m to go. Didn't look too badly hurt, after Roberto Ferrari pulled right across in front of him, & walked across the line with his bike on his shoulder.

Looks like Taylor Phinney's out though. Suspected broken ankle in the fall out behind & wheeled off to hospital, without crossing the finish line, with his bike.

Edited by kiddy

ferrari takes the win. cav will be raging :lol:

sky put 7 men on the front of the peloton with about 5km and drove for the line even although there was no one up ahead. with about 3km to go there was 4 teams trying to set up sprint trains which dissolved into chaos and they ended up going too fast into the last corner and a good few riders came down.

stupid tactics from sky. all they need to do is get cav in contention in the last km, trying to boss it from miles out is crazy.

Cav still holding on to the points jersey, tough only Rodriguez or Heysjedal is liable to catch him. There's definetely 1 stage winnable & a second where he could pick up points.

if he makes the time cut.

Surprised you didn't take the opportunity to mention holding on to cars. :rolleyes:

We both know that, as long as he comes in in the bus, he'll be signing in the next day.

I don't think Cav is­ interested in Green this season. Should he take, what­ was, the ciclamino jersey. That will put him in a­ select grouping of 5 riders to have won all three Grand­ Tour Points Jerseys & of 2, with Merckx, having won­ the WC road race as well.

IMO, Sky's focus in July­ will be purely on Brad Wiggins &, as such, I expect­ Cav to climb off, after the 1st week, to focus­ everything on the Olympic Road Race. At the age of 26,­ he's still got a few years to chase the records of­ Cipollini & Zabel.

Edited by kiddy

Surprised you didn't take the opportunity to mention holding on to cars. :rolleyes:

We both know that, as long as he comes in in the bus, he'll be signing in the next day.

as long as there is someone around to push him up the hills he'll be fine.

that guy has official giro accreditation around his neck :blink:

:lol:

to be honest more people should do this. i live up a big f**k off hill and after 20 miles doing the tour de clyde i could do with a wee push up the road.

Been on holiday so just catching up with all the Giro results today, whilst also watching today`s stage. Bit of an epic with Hesjedal gaining a little time on Purito. Straightforward battle between them on the Stelvio. J-Rod needs a chunk of time on the Canadian before the ITT on Sunday.