Gigs

pilsner_ffc

1 hour ago, Oscar Wilder said:

My pal just got tickets for the Eagles at the Hydro.... £200 face value!!! Is this the dearest ever?

Rod Stewart for York next year apparently £200! Now, we paid £84 pre sale

ELO on Tuesday night at Newcastle, can’t wait 

Guest Moomintroll
Rod Stewart for York next year apparently £200! Now, we paid £84 pre sale
ELO on Tuesday night at Newcastle, can’t wait 
Will be a great gig, genuinely the best live performance I have ever heard as it sounds exactly like the original recordings. Still got the hump as he didn't do Twilight or Hold on Tight but that aside it was phenomenal.

8 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Will be a great gig, genuinely the best live performance I have ever heard as it sounds exactly like the original recordings. Still got the hump as he didn't do Twilight or Hold on Tight but that aside it was phenomenal.

Already seen them at the sse and metro arena last couple of years and they are top drawer. Can’t get it out of my head, living thing, telephone line, evil woman, the list is endless. As you say the sound is excellent

On ‎06‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:01, Gareth_Glasgow said:

They Might Be Giants were brilliant as always last night, a lot of pleasant surprises in the setlist. The Queens Hall is a bit of a weird venue for a standing gig though.

Ma GFs flatmate got offered a free ticket to that and had never heard of them so I spent an hour playing some of their greatest hits for her before she went. Made me raging that I never bothered getting a ticket myself.

Seeing a lot of people I know getting tickets for Post Malone. That guy is fucking terrible. 

I've got a couple of gigs to close out the year, The Proclaimers followed by Florence and the Machine. And yes I'm aware that The Proclaimers are pretty terrible as well but those guys put on a good show and my maw loves them so it's an easy present for her and a fun night out.

On 10/7/2018 at 20:17, Oscar Wilder said:

My pal just got tickets for the Eagles at the Hydro.... £200 face value!!! Is this the dearest ever?

Is that the price of the cheapest seats?  I tried to get a ticket when I came back from holiday but the site says there are none available.

Edited by paul wright scores

Went to "A Celebration of Black British Punk" at Clapham Library on Saturday. First of all was fucking weird going to a gig in a library BUT it ended up being a cracking venue. Good acoustics and had a wee swatch at The Gruffalo between bands. Dunno if I'd call it "a celebration" tho'. Just three punk bands with black folk in 'em. Not like there was a power point presentation bigging up Poly Styrene and the like. I digress. Tenner in tho'. Gigs are getting expensive.

First up were Secret Power. Three piece with guitar/synth/drum. Don't appear to have any music available online yet but their facebook is here https://www.facebook.com/secretpowerband/
Decent voice on the singer but the tunes were a bit bland. To me didn't seem like they were quite sure what they wanted to do and are still finding their feet. Played a cracking cover of Try Again by Aaliyah mind you but that was the only time they really got some frenetic energy into their set.

Next was Screaming Toenail who I'd seen afore and wasn't that impressed with but, turns out, this is the first time I've seen their full, original line up as they'd been without their rhythm section for a while and had folk filling in on either drums or bass. Huge difference. Tight as f**k, brilliant funky basslines under shoegazey style punk and a really enigmatic frontperson. Best band of the night. https://screamingtoenail.bandcamp.com/

Headliners
were Big Joanie https://bigjoanie.bandcamp.com/ Cool set up with all three girls doing vocals and lined up with the stand up drummer in the middle. Guitarist was main vocalist and a bit flat at times tho'. I liked them but there's something missing from them that I cannae put my finger on. Their cover of No Scrubs was good value tho if ye want a listen on the bandcamp.

I am getting a bit annoyed with this habit DIY punk bands have down here. They feel the need to put every fucking song into context. After each song they then say "This song's about..." and then prattle on for five minutes about colonialism/ableism/racism/sexism/transphobia/homophobia/etc. All very noble causes but, c'mon tae f**k mate, I'm A Celebration of Black British Punk in a fucking library. Yer preaching to the choir here and insulting my intelligence a bit. I can hear the words yer singing. I don't need it all explained to me. I just wish they'd rattle out two or three songs in a row so ye can get into the gig a bit more rather than all the stop/start bollocks. Can genuinely only think of two bands I see on the regular who don't do it.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 20:23, JamieStevenson said:

Seeing a lot of people I know getting tickets for Post Malone. That guy is fucking terrible. 

I've got a couple of gigs to close out the year, The Proclaimers followed by Florence and the Machine. And yes I'm aware that The Proclaimers are pretty terrible as well but those guys put on a good show and my maw loves them so it's an easy present for her and a fun night out.

In what way are you aware that The Proclaimers are pretty terrible? Ridiculous shout that mate!