Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Gomez are playing the Picture House in Edinburgh as part of the festival, it's at the end of August.

I heard that,but there was nothing about it in the email I got. I wouldn't mind going to see them.

Gomez have been touring in the US and in Australia for the past two or three years,to sold out crowds I might add,but never mind. :rolleyes: Gomez very rarely come back to the UK do do their shows now.

Not exactly playing big venues though, are they? Admittedly there are a handful of 2500 ones in New York, etc, where there are 10m+ populations, but in general they are tiny!

USA

Paradise Rock Club, Boston - 900

Theatre of the Living Arts, Philadelphia - 800

Lincoln Theatre, Raleigh - 550

The Fillmore, Charlotte - 1200

Australia

Tanks Art Centre, Cairns - 650

Palace Theatre, Melbourne - 1500

Astor Theatre, Perth - 1600

Metro Theatre, Sydney - 1500

These guys play the 3000 capacity Academy in Glasgow soon, so Gomez obviously aren't a big or successful band...

Oh... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Are these posts about Gomez a wind up? I'd have thought sustaining a career into a fifteenth year and still playing to 500+ in more than one continent would be considered a success. But then I also read that Andy Murray is shite and the 5th brawest out of Girls Aloud is a pig,

Are these posts about Gomez a wind up? I'd have thought sustaining a career into a fifteenth year and still playing to 500+ in more than one continent would be considered a success. But then I also read that Andy Murray is shite and the 5th brawest out of Girls Aloud is a pig,

Andy Murray, plays to tens of thousands, is the fourth best tennis player in the world and has prize money of over $15 million.

Gomez last album got to #65 in the chart, their only top 20 single was over a decade ago and are playing in front of crowds that shit like Hotleg would look down on...

I don't know or care what someone out of Girls Aloud looks like, the only one I could pick out of a line-up would be Ashley Cole's wife.

What are you wittering about?

This debate is about why Gomez aren't playing Scotland more, and it's simple - there is not enough people that care to justify it. They are playing their home country, as a one off, for the few thousand people that vaguely remember that they probably featured on disc 2 of a Now CD.

Andy Murray, plays to tens of thousands, is the fourth best tennis player in the world and has prize money of over $15 million.

Gomez last album got to #65 in the chart, their only top 20 single was over a decade ago and are playing in front of crowds that shit like Hotleg would look down on...

I don't know or care what someone out of Girls Aloud looks like, the only one I could pick out of a line-up would be Ashley Cole's wife.

What are you wittering about?

This debate is about why Gomez aren't playing Scotland more, and it's simple - there is not enough people that care to justify it. They are playing their home country, as a one off, for the few thousand people that vaguely remember that they probably featured on disc 2 of a Now CD.

I was wittering about the implication that Gomez aren't successful - which is obviously false. I looked to me like they've been doing very worthwhile, profitable tours and are continuing to do so. You surely realise it's no great concern to most bands whether they have 'hit' singles and that those are no barometer of mid- or long-term popularity.

Re Scotland, the venues that suited them (most likely in the eyes of their booking agent) might not have been available to fit in with their tour schedule.

Not exactly playing big venues though, are they? Admittedly there are a handful of 2500 ones in New York, etc, where there are 10m+ populations, but in general they are tiny!

USA

Paradise Rock Club, Boston - 900

Theatre of the Living Arts, Philadelphia - 800

Lincoln Theatre, Raleigh - 550

The Fillmore, Charlotte - 1200

Australia

Tanks Art Centre, Cairns - 650

Palace Theatre, Melbourne - 1500

Astor Theatre, Perth - 1600

Metro Theatre, Sydney - 1500

These guys play the 3000 capacity Academy in Glasgow soon, so Gomez obviously aren't a big or successful band...

Oh... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So it's more of a competition to see who's is bigger. :P

I was wittering about the implication that Gomez aren't successful - which is obviously false. I looked to me like they've been doing very worthwhile, profitable tours and are continuing to do so. You surely realise it's no great concern to most bands whether they have 'hit' singles and that those are no barometer of mid- or long-term popularity.

Re Scotland, the venues that suited them (most likely in the eyes of their booking agent) might not have been available to fit in with their tour schedule.

To be honest, tours of that size, especially with the cost of flights involved will barely break even. Bands make a quid per ticket sold if they are lucky, more if they can work out a deal on sponsorship or the like. The big winners of concerts are the hosting venues, drink/food vendors and the agents!

For the record, the Academy (albeit far too big) is free the night after the festival at Dumfries, if they really had wanted to play another gig in Scotland.

Edited by SaltyTON

Tickets booked this morning for -

10/11/11 - The Darkness, o2 Academy, Glasgow

06/12/11 - Defenders of the Faith 3 (featuring Trivium), o2 Academy, Glasgow

:D

Why, oh why, is Hawkins going back to the scene of his ultimate death?

He was booed out of the building the last time he went to the Academy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Blanks next sunday for my 18th :D

Yip, same. Worlds quickest ticket delivery as well... had them two or three days after ordering them!

Getting destroyed in the sixes at Lesser Hampden on the Saturday, then throwing my hands up in the air some time at the Apollo the next day! :D

That new song they put together is fucking quality!

Why, oh why, is Hawkins going back to the scene of his ultimate death?

He was booed out of the building the last time he went to the Academy! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Didn't know about that! Only time I saw them was at the SECC on their 2nd album tour and they were excellent!

Didn't know about that! Only time I saw them was at the SECC on their 2nd album tour and they were excellent!

Hotleg supported Alter Bridge in their last show at the Academy, Justin Hawkins took a power of abuse that night.

Got to say he handled it pretty well, even playing up to it.

"If you think we're shit, shout you're fucking shit!" :lol: :lol:

Hotleg supported Alter Bridge in their last show at the Academy, Justin Hawkins took a power of abuse that night.

Got to say he handled it pretty well, even playing up to it.

"If you think we're shit, shout you're fucking shit!" :lol: :lol:

There's alot more love for The Darkness than Hotleg, of that I'm 100% certain.

I've heard interviews from Metal Hammer with other bands saying as much.