Gigs

pilsner_ffc

Just back from The Hotelier at - what must have been a sold out - Stereo.  Fantastic show and it was great to hear songs from the new album live.  First time I "saw" them was a free gig in Bloc a few years back.  I couldn't see a f***** thing but it was a very fun and sweaty show.

My favourite band. Knowing they were playing Glasgow as I was working as a roadie for Bonnie Tyler was a right kick in the stanes.

Go see a band much less pish than Blink 182! [emoji1][emoji39]

Blink are brilliant, got me through my teenage years. Hooked.

Going to a gig by yourself would be shite though I reckon, it's a night out on the pish listening to music before hitting the town, just try harder to convince somebody, surely get a taker. [emoji6]

Speaking for the no doubt countless of us who've been to gigs alone, nobody gives a f**k. Go and stand looking at your phone or the King Tuts listing you get given on the way in ignoring everyone around you like a good boy, then applaud politely in between songs. Everybody's happy.

15 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Speaking for the no doubt countless of us who've been to gigs alone, nobody gives a f**k. Go and stand looking at your phone or the King Tuts listing you get given on the way in ignoring everyone around you like a good boy, then applaud politely in between songs. Everybody's happy.

Yup. This. If you want to see a gig then just go and see the gig. I've been to a fair few gigs on my own as well as with others. Didn't enjoy going on my own any less

1 hour ago, Randy Giles said:

Yup. This. If you want to see a gig then just go and see the gig. I've been to a fair few gigs on my own as well as with others. Didn't enjoy going on my own any less

I actually enjoy going to a gig on my own. Means I can enjoy myself without bothering about other people :lol:

12 hours ago, GrahamJags said:

First of six in a row tonight. Margo Price at the Oran Mor, which should be excellent. Easily one of the best country records of last year.

She was absolutely unbelievable. 

Aaron Lee Tasjan was a very good support. On another night he could well have stolen the lime light from the headliner. But not tonight.

I doubt I'll go to a better gig all year. Margo Price was just amazing. A brilliant performer who demands your attention on stage and who delivers deeply personal, and largely autobiographical, country that the greats would be proud of.

As far removed from the soulless, plastic modern country pop that dominates commercial country media as it's possible to get.

Perfect.

As for going to gigs on your own, it's a simple choice:

Go or miss out?

I don't talk to my mates when either the support or headliner is on stage anyway. We'll chat between sets or before the support comes on but when the performers are on stage then it's strictly no talking. I stopped being self-conscious about going solo to gigs a long time ago. If I hadn't then I'd have missed out on people I really wanted to see.

Feck that. Get to the gig.

12 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

As for going to gigs on your own, it's a simple choice:

Go or miss out?

I don't talk to my mates when either the support or headliner is on stage anyway. We'll chat between sets or before the support comes on but when the performers are on stage then it's strictly no talking. I stopped being self-conscious about going solo to gigs a long time ago. If I hadn't then I'd have missed out on people I really wanted to see.

Feck that. Get to the gig.

This. Most of my mates have zero interest in going to gigs, unless its someone they're desperate to see, whereas I love it. Got to the point where I was missing out on a lot of bands I wanted to see, so I just decided to go myself. 

Best advice I can give is that if you're not bothered about the supports, then phone the venue at around 6/7ish and find out stage times. Show up 5 minutes before that, then you don't have the standing awkwardly checking your phone in a venue with no signal dilemma. 

Echoing what BSF said about Margo Price last night. Didn't catch the support, but will check him out. She was just unreal though. Totally captivating and with an incredible voice. That'll take some beating for my favourite gig of the year. Great band as well.

Tonight it's the Mexican Morrissey tribute act - Mexrrissey. Not a massive Morrissey/Smiths fan, but I'm intrigued and got asked to review it. Heard some of their stuff online and thought it was pretty decent. Anyone seen them before?

Seeing one of the best live bands in Scotland just now - Sinderins - tomorrow night. Very much looking forward to that.