The P&B Slow Cooker Owners Club

4 or 5 onions?

Yup. Use less if you like, but by the time you've cooked the sauce for half an hour, there isn't much left of them.

The recipe was given to me by a woman who lived in Bangladesh for many years. She swears by it and insists that just about every curry you get here from a takeaway will start with this basic gravy.

Tomorrow I am doing peppered beef. Again I shall post the details if it is a success rather than posting just now incase it's crap. Maybe should be called beef with peppers more I think about it.

Oh, and I ain't browning anything, it's all just getting chucked in. Done that loads with beef, mince, onions and they've all looked and tasted fine.

Edited by Rugster

Tomorrow I am doing peppered beef. Again I shall post the details if it is a success rather than posting just now incase it's crap. Maybe should be called beef with peppers more I think about it.

Oh, and I ain't browning anything, it's all just getting chucked in. Done that loads with beef, mince, onions and they've all looked and tasted fine.

Well, this was well tasty. Beef (I used 750g), two onions, two green peppers, 250ml beef stock, one garlic clove, 2tbs soy sauce, 1 tsp worcester sauce, 1/2 tsp ground ginger.

Chop the onions, finely slice the peppers and lay on the bottom of the slow cooker. Cut the meat into cubes and lay that on top of the veg. Crush the garlic, chuck that in then the sauces and stock. Bung it on low for 8-10 hours and serve over rice/potatoes/whatever. Tasty and cheap.

I use mine for a nice beef stew:

450g diced beef

2 onions

2 carrots (sliced)

1 tin tomatoes

1 tablespoon flour

500 ml water

3 Oxo cubes

salt and pepper.

Stick this baby on low for 8 hours or so and bob's your uncle. Also like to put dumplings in for the last half hour.

This is just a quick and easy stew - can be prepared in 10 minutes.

I've made shin of beef and sausage casserole today with onions swede and carrot, not sure if I should cook it on high or low tho, what do you reckon? It's on high at the moment to get it going, might switch to low after half an hour.

Will be making some pulled pork this weekend, normally do it for Thanksgiving day while watching the NFL games but not able to get that day off this year, so moving it forwards to this weekend.

Normally I would do a simple mixture of brown sugar/tomato sauce/cayenne pepper etc, but this time going to do something a bit different. Got some BBQ rub which I'm going to put on the pork on Sat and left overnight in the fridge to marinate before firing into the slow cooker. Just not too sure if I should brown it off to give it a crust first or fire it straight in?

Will be making some pulled pork this weekend, normally do it for Thanksgiving day while watching the NFL games but not able to get that day off this year, so moving it forwards to this weekend.

Normally I would do a simple mixture of brown sugar/tomato sauce/cayenne pepper etc, but this time going to do something a bit different. Got some BBQ rub which I'm going to put on the pork on Sat and left overnight in the fridge to marinate before firing into the slow cooker. Just not too sure if I should brown it off to give it a crust first or fire it straight in?

Fire it straight in mate.

On the many occasions I've done it,I also haven't bothered to marinate,as it cooks in the sauces and spices for about 8 hours .

It easily one of my favourite SC meals

Fire it straight in mate.

On the many occasions I've done it,I also haven't bothered to marinate,as it cooks in the sauces and spices for about 8 hours .

It easily one of my favourite SC meals

I'd dry rub it, always tastes better for me like that.

Also recommend cooking it in Cherry Coke/Dr Pepper.

Tried a Beef Massaman Curry today.

For the paste I liquidised half a cup of peanuts and cashews with:

A tablespoon of peanut oil, 2 tablespoons of fish sauce, 3 shallots, 5 garlic cloves, 2 birdseye chilis, 1 scotch bonnet, a Leigh Griffiths size piece of ginger, a lemongrass stalk (finely chopped), 1 teaspoon coriander, 1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds, 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin, 2-3 cloves, 2-3 cardamon pods, 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg.

Then I browned a packet of beef in some more peanut oil and a chopped onion, added a few halved baby potatoes, then the paste, warmed that and added a tin of coconut milk and 1 tablespoon of fish sauce. Stuck in a star anise and a few kaffir lime leaves and put it on medium until the meat is ready. I will stick some more cashews and peanuts in shortly before serving. Maybe some lime juice too.

It smells and tastes absolutely amazing - can't wait 'til dinner time. :thumsup2

Edited by Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo

A tablespoon of peanut oil, 2 tablespoons of fish sauce, 3 shallots, 5 garlic cloves, 2 birdseye chilis, 1 scotch bonnet, a Leigh Griffiths size piece of ginger, a lemongrass stalk (finely chopped), 1 teaspoon coriander, 1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds, 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin, 2-3 cloves, 2-3 cardamon pods, 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg.

Then I browned a packet of beef in some more peanut oil and a chopped onion, added a few halved baby potatoes, then the paste, warmed that and added a tin of coconut milk and 1 tablespoon of fish sauce. Stuck in a star anise and a few kaffir lime leaves and put it on medium until the meat is ready. I will stick some more cashews and peanuts in shortly before serving.  Maybe some lime juice too.

It smells and tastes absolutely amazing  - can't wait 'til dinner time.  :thumsup2

That sounds fucking ace.

A tablespoon of peanut oil, 2 tablespoons of fish sauce, 3 shallots, 5 garlic cloves, 2 birdseye chilis, 1 scotch bonnet, a Leigh Griffiths size piece of ginger, a lemongrass stalk (finely chopped), 1 teaspoon coriander, 1/2 tablespoon cumin seeds, 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin, 2-3 cloves, 2-3 cardamon pods, 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg.

Then I browned a packet of beef in some more peanut oil and a chopped onion, added a few halved baby potatoes, then the paste, warmed that and added a tin of coconut milk and 1 tablespoon of fish sauce. Stuck in a star anise and a few kaffir lime leaves and put it on medium until the meat is ready. I will stick some more cashews and peanuts in shortly before serving. Maybe some lime juice too.

It smells and tastes absolutely amazing - can't wait 'til dinner time. :thumsup2

I just use peanut butter.