The P&B Slow Cooker Owners Club

• 4 months later...

Beef balti. Smells great!

The other half deals with the slow cooker and occasionally uses the P&B cook book but if I wanted to make a madras type curry, do you think I could:

Throw in the meat with a can of chopped tomatoes (removed from the tin of course), chopped onions (all raw) with all the spices, water and veg oil.

Would it work? I can usually make a chicken one in a pot on the hob in half an hour but I just feel that it's more chicken with curry sauce rather than a chicken curry. Beef would be good.

Edited by Hedgecutter

The other half deals with the slow cooker and occasionally uses the P&B cook book but if I wanted to make a madras type curry, do you think I could:

Throw in the meat with a can of chopped tomatoes (removed from the tin of course), chopped onions (all raw) with all the spices, water and veg oil.

Would it work? I can usually make a chicken one in a pot on the hob in half an hour but I just feel that it's more chicken with curry sauce rather than a chicken curry. Beef would be good.

Think that would be too wet a mixture. I do a variant of Tugboat Curry from Floyd on Africa. Meat (chicken, beef, lamb all work well), diced potatoes, quartered fresh tomatoes, onions, spices. No oil and no added water. Looks really dry to start with but in slow cooker the juice comes out of the tomatoes and the potatoes thicken the resultant sauce. Can make other versions, e.g. Moroccan style, by varying spices and other ingredients. Delicious and actually quite healthy as no added fats.

• 2 weeks later...