The P&B Slow Cooker Owners Club

Half a dozen sausages, can of sweet corn, a peeled and cubed butternut squash, veg stock, an onion, some tomato puree and some paprika.

Lob it in for an age. I chucked it on the hob for a bit as I put in a bit too much water, but a good stir and the squash should go nice and soft like mashed potato. Had it with potatoes, good scran.

I'd dry rub it, always tastes better for me like that.

Also recommend cooking it in Cherry Coke/Dr Pepper.

Put a dry rub on it and left it over night, but used my own liquid mixture of cider vinegar/chicken stock/dark sugar and associated spices.

Very...very nice. Just wish the Riaders cold tackle in this game.

Its also worth mentioning that if you're doing pulled pork, liquid smoke is absolutely vital for it for me. I tend to drop a bit of it on the clingfilm I'm wrapping it in to let it absorb into the meat. Makes a huge difference to flavour.

Got the slow cooker out again since the wintery weather is creeping in.

Beef chilli

900g Beef mince

2 onions finely chopped

Fry off in frying pan to brown mince and soften onions.

Add to slow cooker with;

2 tins chopped tomatoes

3 cloves garlic crushed

6 deseeded chillies (I prefer to add seeds but it would be too hot for others)

1 tablespoon dried oregano

1 tbspn of dried chilli powder.

Cook for 7 to 9 hours.

Served with taco shells, salsa, sour cream, guacamole and nacho cheese.

Would probably also go well its nachos, pasta or even rice.

Enjoy.

Got the slow cooker out again since the wintery weather is creeping in.

Beef chilli

900g Beef mince

2 onions finely chopped

Fry off in frying pan to brown mince and soften onions.

Add to slow cooker with;

2 tins chopped tomatoes

3 cloves garlic crushed

6 deseeded chillies (I prefer to add seeds but it would be too hot for others)

1 tablespoon dried oregano

1 tbspn of dried chilli powder.

Cook for 7 to 9 hours.

Served with taco shells, salsa, sour cream, guacamole and nacho cheese.

Would probably also go well its nachos, pasta or even rice.

Enjoy.

Sorry Matt, but why would you need to cook minced beef in a slow cooker? Surely that recipe could be done and dusted in 20 minutes in a normal pan? Just asking like.

Sorry Matt, but why would you need to cook minced beef in a slow cooker? Surely that recipe could be done and dusted in 20 minutes in a normal pan? Just asking like.

You might not have to but it was really nice.

I think that the slow cooker intensifies the chilli flavours a bit like marinating or sometimes like when reheating food the next day... it can be tastier due to the flavours mixing better.

Also it meant that the food was already prepared for my girlfriend getting in from work without me having to hang round and cook it at that specific time. And the house smelled amazing all day. :P

Edited by MattBairn

Anyone got a good recipe for pulled pork? Been wanting to try this guy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/slow_cooker_chipotle_23720

But any alternatives/suggestions welcome!

I made UTN's pulled pork yesterday, was fantastic.

1 pulled pork shoulder (not rolled) from asda, 1 bag of bbq o fajita spice mix, 1 jar of bbq sauce. Rub the spice into the meat then lob it all in the slow cooker for 8 hours on low. Easy, having it on bread for my lunch today

The Mrs. was looking at slow cookers in Tesco yesterday. Think we will be buying one this weekend. Probably won't be spending too much on it as it could end up just another cupboard filler. Anyone have any recommendations (or ones to avoid) on make, model, where to buy etc.?

Thanks

Just made a ham hock in mine, was tasty shit.

Threw 4 carrots, 3 small onions, and about 5 or 6 spuds all roughly chopped in with the hock. Added 4 bay leaves, plenty of fresh thyme and plenty pepper.

Covered with boiled water and left on high for 6 hours.

The meat simply falls of the hock, I served it topped with a simple parsley sauce.

Ive got leftovers for tomorrow and I'll get some peas and make some soup from all the cooking stock.

I'd dry rub it, always tastes better for me like that.

Also recommend cooking it in Cherry Coke/Dr Pepper.

I am going to try the the dr Pepper method this weekend. did you just replace the bbq with a tin of the stuff or did you add anyhting else in (was thinking a mix of onion, tomato and chiplotle paste?)

I am going to try the the dr Pepper method this weekend. did you just replace the bbq with a tin of the stuff or did you add anyhting else in (was thinking a mix of onion, tomato and chiplotle paste?)

I tend to have mine all rubbed up, and still lob in the BBQ sauce on top of it and anything you'd normally do, but just submerge it in Dr. Pepper. Just adds a slightly sweeter taste to the meat, as you'd expect!