Arnold Clark Horror Stories

I used to change tyres on my old bike using spoons as tyre levers. My poor old mum used to go mad when they got a bit bent.

Two spoons, lighter fluid and a match is all you need. And bollocks the size of London

2 hours ago, killiepiemuncher said:

Didn’t know that wow. Must be horrible fishing a manky spare from under a motor. Changing a wheel is a dirty enough job without it covered in road muck.

Im sure there are sinks all along the road for you to wash yer precious wee hands in petal. The good ones also have moisturiser so they're all nice and soft for you flower.

I fucking hate modern men

2 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

The Clio is my running about car that is used pretty much exclusively for picking the kids up from nursery, my wife has the big motor

I don't have kids so maybe I'm the 1 who is wrong but I assumed most folk bought a big car to pick the kids up?????

You seem to have this all kinds of the wrong way round

1 minute ago, Gaz FFC said:

I don't have kids so maybe I'm the 1 who is wrong but I assumed most folk bought a big car to pick the kids up?????

She drops them off and does the majority of running about with them during the week as she doesn't work Mondays and Fridays.  Mine is used to pick them up from nursery.

2 hours ago, killiepiemuncher said:

Didn’t know that wow. Must be horrible fishing a manky spare from under a motor. Changing a wheel is a dirty enough job without it covered in road muck.

Not surprised it's a French design. The old Megane had the worst headlight design around- you had to remove the wheels to access the headlight bulbs.  It was like they forgot headlights. 

As for spare wheels, worth their weight in gold when you are stuck at the side of a road with a stupid can of foam and a flight to get to. 

25 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

I'm with KB. Missus generally gets the bigger/nicer car and I get the little one. 

Im sure there are sinks all along the road for you to wash yer precious wee hands in petal. The good ones also have moisturiser so they're all nice and soft for you flower.

I fucking hate modern men

Ha ha well that’s the first time I’ve ever been called a Modern man I’m your original old school dinosaur. I stand by my comment, I wouldn’t fancy changing a wheel by the side of the road and tying to stay reasonably clean with it dripping with road crap. I like to keep the interior of my car crap free.

52 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Not surprised it's a French design. The old Megane had the worst headlight design around- you had to remove the wheels to access the headlight bulbs.  It was like they forgot headlights. 

As for spare wheels, worth their weight in gold when you are stuck at the side of a road with a stupid can of foam and a flight to get to. 

BMW used to have the spare underneath on some models.

Loads of manufacturers have tried this method of storage come to think of it. Although the better ones did at least cover the spare for all you precious wee girls that don't want to get their nails dirty and broken.

My old Picasso had the spare suspended underneath. Had to remember to grease the long attachment bolt now & again or it seized up & was a bugger to get the wheel out.

Saw something on Faudbook last night about someone who traded their car in with AC - got £500 and it was seen later on sale for £2,500.00 - some mark up.

My old 306, god rest its soul, had a spare wheel mounted underneath. Always remember thinking I wanted a flat so I could be really manly and get about changing it.
My car these days has a can of fucking foam, and yes I'd be better using a can of Gillette. Hit a pothole and got a flat, not just soft but proper flat. Stranded, middle of nowhere holding a can of this shite wondering what the f**k I'm supposed to do! Never again

My old Picasso had the spare suspended underneath. Had to remember to grease the long attachment bolt now & again or it seized up & was a bugger to get the wheel out.
Saw something on Faudbook last night about someone who traded their car in with AC - got £500 and it was seen later on sale for £2,500.00 - some mark up.

All the main dealers are the same. I traded my first car in with Peter Vardy in Motherwell and got £600.00 for it. Found it on Autotrader a week later for £1600.00. Didn't bother me too much as I couldn't be arsed selling it privately.

I'm with KB. Missus generally gets the bigger/nicer car and I get the little one. 

I concur. I bought one of those VW Touran taxi type motors. The wife then stole that one from me and gave me her shitey Peugeot. I use it to run up and down to the train station and very occasionally to pick the kids up.

On 21/09/2017 at 12:58, flyingscot said:

I had a brief foray with a Megane estate about 10 years ago. What a fucking heap. Actually the kit in the car was decent for the money but they seemed to miss the car's primary function of getting about the place. The electrics went with monotonous regularity. I took it for an early headlamp bulb change to kwiki fit - £12 to supply and fit. Poor c**t was swearing like a bear for an eternity. He did finally get the thing in and then told me never to bring it back. Took it to Arnold Clark in Grangemouth who were doing the job at a subsidised  £28 (I think) and the boy told me it was £150 job if charged properly because of the bits of car that had to be removed. I only had it 20 months and went through 5 headlamp bulbs. That was the least of its problems but where Arnold was involved they did me a decent turn. Never again.  No French car ever again. No wonder the c***s cannae fight. 

Edited by HTG

My Mrs has had nothing but French cars in the 12 years we've been together - a Renault and 4 various Peugeots. The late 90's and early 2000's cars were free of any hassle but the last couple have had their moments. Always mechanically fine engine-wise but a fucking nightmare with the electrics. 

We came home from the pub one night to find the old 406 coupe lit up like a Christmas tree on the drive, with most lights either on or flashing/flickering despite the car being obviously off & locked. Turned out after wasting hours of my life investigating that the geniuses at Peugeot had designed it in such a way that it leaked through the door seals if parked pointing down a hill (we have a steep drive), and also in their wisdom located the wiring harness connector for all the rear electrics underneath the footwell carpet, ie at the lowest point of the car, so guaranteed to fail with any water ingress.