Arnold Clark Horror Stories

Needing to buy a car pretty soon and I can't wait until the end of the month as per advice earlier in the thread. The salesman has told me that they have a 'best price guarantee' so there is no leeway in the price.

I'm assuming this is nonsense and I will be parting with a substantial amount of money but I don't know how much discount I can wrangle. Anybody managed 10 per cent or so?

Posted earlier in the thread that I was looking for a car and ended up getting one at the weekend from Arnold Clark.

To be fair, they did offer a cracking deal and I managed to get a car which looked to be over my initial budget but they worked out a deal which meant paying less than I'd expected. Go figure, but I wasn't complaining.

I sold my old car for £4000 and was anticipating using the whole lot as a deposit. Went to an Arnold Clark Volkswagen branch and they were doing a £1000 deposit contribution. On top of that I only had to contribute £2500 of my own money to get the deal they offered so I'm effectively £1500 up.

Pick up the car on Wednesday but happy with how things have gone so far.

I managed to get my car for £2500 less than they were offering.

Just said I wasn't interested and walked away. Got a phone call 4 days later offering it for what I was willing to pay.
Like Others say, the end of the month is the best time.

Ended up sacking off arnold clark altogether and went to Toyota in Inverness. Reasonably happy with the service.
The 2 arnold clark dealers i visited have been calling me about the car so I'm sure if I left it a while and went back I'd get a discount.

Went to Arnold Clark in Aberdeen to pick up one of the people I support car after a service. Saw the wee bags with stickers and colouring books for kids and asked if I could get a couple for the kids. Lassie told me to help myself then said they had teddies and toys they give away and would I like some so came away with four hessian shopping bags, a teddy, money box and two toy car transporters.
Wouldn't buy a car from them, there was a guy in at the time demanding to know why his car wasn't ready when he'd been promised it a week ago, but the lassie in the office was really nice.
I put it down to my charming smile.

Mate bought a new car from Arnold Clark last year and presumably it has a guarantee on it. They're currently giving him the run around in regard to a slow leak on a tyre. A 40 quid tyre FFS!

Mind you with both parties being "careful" with money this particular battle is like Norbert Colon v Ebenezer Scrooge.  

• 2 months later...

Had a fault light come up on van dashboard on friday (its a Fiat Doblo) the 'oil pressure light' so topped up oil on way home and parked up. Left over the weekend and checked oil level this morning which was fine but light still flashing intermittantly.

Googled fault which said it may not actually refer to oil level but could be a number of, relatively minor issues.

I have often went to a local independent garage, which for a few years I had received decent service from although I was rather suspicious and put off by the rather exorbitant level of repairs they insisted were required for my old van this time last year to pass an MOT(traded it in for my present one) so declined their estimated works back then.

To say I was gobsmacked by their findings today is putting it mildly

1. Glow plug number three is faulty and probably the cause of oil pressure light coming on, all glow plugs need stripped out and replaced

2. A diesel terraclean is required (they tried to flog this to me last year too...hmmmm :thumbsdown) which is causing exhaust filter to clog and build up of crap in said exhaust.....worth mentioning it passed an MOT last week which would have checked and tested exhaust emmisions. If this terraclean isnt carried out van could break down leading to other problems.

3. Engine clean and service required but the boy reset the 'DPF' switch for now and fault light no longer flashing on dashboard.

4. While my estimate was being printed up in the office I was outside having a smoke the young mechanic said further work would take 3 to 4 hours, I was promptly handed a print out estimating eight hours labour and a total price including parts of over £600....as well as a bill of £58 for my diagnostic check.

Safe to say I wont be instructing the further work or returning to said garage, I was rather dubious over their estimate of £2000 to get my last van through its MOT, I traded it in a few days later and actually saw someone driving it recently so it clearly went through a subsequent MOT which, given it had done 90,000 miles I doubt anyone would have shelled out said sum if another garage stipulated same repairs at roughly the same cost.

Todays dealings with them, to be honest smacked to me, although I confess to knowing little about cars/vans/engines of merely trying to generate further non urgent and possibly non necessary work. In my job I have seen plenty of tradesman who try and hoodwink people with similar scare stories, although definetely NOT myself I hasten to add before any smart arsed comments come in :D

Was just curious if any car mechanic minded people knew if any of the issues highlighted would cause an 'oil pressure light' to come on?

I should point out said light is no longer flashing, it has been running perfectly well with no issues, noise or reek coming from it and passed an MOT at a different garage only a week ago, I expect one or two to advise 'turn the heaters up full blast and roll the windows up' type responses but a serious and knowledgeable comment or two would be appreciated :thumsup2

Edited by Flybhoy

14 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Had a fault light come up on van dashboard on friday (its a Fiat Doblo) the 'oil pressure light' so topped up oil on way home and parked up. Left over the weekend and checked oil level this morning which was fine but light still flashing intermittantly.

Googled fault which said it may not actually refer to oil level but could be a number of, relatively minor issues.

I have often went to a local independent garage, which for a few years I had received decent service from although I was rather suspicious and put off by the rather exorbitant level of repairs they insisted were required for my old van this time last year to pass an MOT(traded it in for my present one) so declined their estimated works back then.

1. Glow plug number three is faulty and probably the cause of oil pressure light coming on, all glow plugs need stripped out and replaced

2. A diesel terraclean is required (they tried to flog this to me last year too...hmmmm :thumbsdown) which is causing exhaust filter to clog and build up of crap in said exhaust.....worth mentioning it passed an MOT last week which would have checked and tested exhaust emmisions. If this terraclean isnt carried out van could break down leading to other problems.

3. Engine clean and service required but the boy reset the 'DPF' switch for now and fault light no longer flashing on dashboard.

4. While my estimate was being printed up in the office I was outside having a smoke the young mechanic said further work would take 3 to 4 hours, I was promptly handed a print out estimating eight hours labour and a total price including parts of over £600....as well as a bill of £58 for my diagnostic check.

Safe to say I wont be instructing the further work or returning to said garage, I was rather dubious over their estimate of £2000 to get my last van through its MOT, I traded it in a few days later and actually saw someone driving it recently so it clearly went through a subsequent MOT which, given it had done 90,000 miles I doubt anyone would have shelled out said sum if another garage stipulated same repairs at roughly the same cost.

Todays dealings with them, to be honest smacked to me, although I confess to knowing little about cars/vans/engines of merely trying to generate further non urgent and possibly non necessary work. In my job I have seen plenty of tradesman who try and hoodwink people with similar scare stories, although definetely NOT myself I hasten to add before any smart arsed comments come in :D

Was just curious if any car mechanic minded people knew if any of the issues highlighted would cause an 'oil pressure light' to come on?

I should point out said light is no longer flashing, it has been running perfectly well with no issues, noise or reek coming from it and passed an MOT at a different garage only a week ago, I expect one or two to advise 'turn the heaters up full blast and roll the windows up' type responses but a serious and knowledgeable comment or two would be appreciated :thumsup2

If its not Arnold Clark then GTF from the thread.

See this particular issue - Tell them to GTF. Garage in Broxburn that looks after our vans tried selling this pish a couple of years back. The real issue (particularly if it's a direct injection as opposed to but not excluding a turbo) is a slight loss of power due to a build up of crap on the injectors, and is easily resolved by getting on the motorway, putting the foot down and blowing all the crap away. A wee half bottle of Redex in the fuel tank once a year helps as well.

Put tape over the light. 
Nae bather

That's lazy and a temporary fix.

Removing the light bulb is far more effective.

See this particular issue - Tell them to GTF. Garage in Broxburn that looks after our vans tried selling this pish a couple of years back. The real issue (particularly if it's a direct injection as opposed to but not excluding a turbo) is a slight loss of power due to a build up of crap on the injectors, and is easily resolved by getting on the motorway, putting the foot down and blowing all the crap away. A wee half bottle of Redex in the fuel tank once a year helps as well.

I've not had much deals with car diesel engines but is that not the DPF you're talking about?

Todays dealings with them, to be honest smacked to me, although I confess to knowing little about cars/vans/engines of merely trying to generate further non urgent and possibly non necessary work. In my job I have seen plenty of tradesman who try and hoodwink people with similar scare stories, although definetely NOT myself I hasten to add before any smart arsed comments come in [emoji3]

Fiat stands for "fix it again tommorow", I'll have you know.

1 minute ago, Grant228 said:

That's lazy and a temporary fix.

Removing the light bulb is far more effective.

I've not had much deals with car diesel engines but is that not the DPF you're talking about?

At Arnold Clark we pride ourselves on doing it badly. We are not like one of these proper garages with their 'tools' and 'tradesmen' whatever they are.

Tape and a free packet of mints, away ye go.

No, the DPF is in the exhaust and is what some garages will tell punters is the issue to make them fork out for a new filter or a superduper system clean, when the issue is actually in the engine, usually an accumulation of crap on the injectors themselves, and is easily resolved by a quick belt down the motorway.