Arnold Clark Horror Stories

I've bought twice from Arnold Clark. The most recent a fiat 500X, bought brand new. Had a couple of issues with it, both sorted with absolutely no bother, and the car valeted and all levels checked each time it was in (the second one was as small as the number plate being a bit loose). Have also used them for servicing with no problems at all. I really can't fault them.

When I bought from Arnold Clark, the valve caps on all the tyres were missing. I sneaked back under cover of darkness and stole some from their other cars. 

Also, they sold me the car with honestly about 1ml of petrol left in it. Luckily, there was a petrol station next door otherwise I wouldn't have got very far. 

22 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Tell uncle Bill i'm asking for him. 

22 hours ago, port-ton said:

I work in the office next to him. His desk faces my computer screen which is heartbreaking as I can't skive :(

He's retiring this year though so there is hope.

Waffenthinmint likes this.

57 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

When I bought from Arnold Clark, the valve caps on all the tyres were missing. I sneaked back under cover of darkness and stole some from their other cars. 

Also, they sold me the car with honestly about 1ml of petrol left in it. Luckily, there was a petrol station next door otherwise I wouldn't have got very far. 

Rookie mistake, everyone knows you negotiate a full tank when buying a new car. The salesman will throw it in no bother to seal the deal.

I'd rather deal with Arnold Clark than Peter Vardy.

My Astra's timing belt went, it had a lifetime warranty and was told to bring it in, got no offer of a pick up from them. So I had to arrange for it to be towed from A side road where I had to push it to and leave it at after it broke on the jeanfield Road.

Got told it would be a couple of days. After one week they told me it would be another week but they sorted me a rental car. What they didn't tell me was I had to pay all deposits for this myself as they had forgotten to pay it and left me standing at the rental place arguing with the people. Then when they told me the car was fixed I went to get it and it hadn't been valeted, was covered in stour and I found a Big Mac box under the drivers seat that hadn't previously been there.

It broke down again a week later because they hadn't refitted something correctly and tried to charge me for it. After that debacle I got rid of my Astra within a week.

I'm the 1st to slag Mr Clark and his merry men of sales people but it needs saying that all garages are untrustworthy.

Pick a garage and if it's a mainstream 1 you will find a queue of folk telling you to avoid. Pick a local independent 1 and you will find a few local folk happy to tell you the guy is a gangster or some shite.

Basically walk everywhere or moan about public transport.

30 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Forgot all about them local mechanic ganstas.

See still game for reference 

ETA by garages I mean forecourt car sales not fix yer motor for serious markup

Edited by Gaz FFC

I'd rather deal with Arnold Clark than Peter Vardy.

My Astra's timing belt went, it had a lifetime warranty and was told to bring it in, got no offer of a pick up from them. So I had to arrange for it to be towed from A side road where I had to push it to and leave it at after it broke on the jeanfield Road.

Got told it would be a couple of days. After one week they told me it would be another week but they sorted me a rental car. What they didn't tell me was I had to pay all deposits for this myself as they had forgotten to pay it and left me standing at the rental place arguing with the people. Then when they told me the car was fixed I went to get it and it hadn't been valeted, was covered in stour and I found a Big Mac box under the drivers seat that hadn't previously been there.

It broke down again a week later because they hadn't refitted something correctly and tried to charge me for it. After that debacle I got rid of my Astra within a week.

This.

I've also got an Astra. Had it in for its MOT and it came out with the engine making a squealing noise. Not sure if they had done something to one of the belts but the noise wasn't there before it went in. Argued with them for days until they eventually fixed it.

When I was checking to see exactly what the noise was I noticed they hadn't even refitted the engine cover properly - simple stuff I'd have thought.