Arnold Clark Horror Stories

• 1 month later...

Can I add Evans Halshaw from Falkirk to this list?

Please do not buy a car from them.

My Dad bought a Mazda 3. He was told that it had a full service history and the MOT was just done plus road tax wasn't due for six months.

All three were incorrect and he also found that the car had been a small accident and the rear bumper with the number plate on it wasn't wired up properly. It was an MOT failure but EH had passed it somehow?

It took him three months of phonecalls and hassle for them to finally admit to being in the wrong. They even hit him with the sympathy card and said one of the salesmen was going through a rough time?! Well does that mean you are allowed to do illegal things?

Absolute cowboys, do not go there.

My Dad bought a Mazda 3. He was told that it had a full service history and the MOT was just done plus road tax wasn't due for six months.

All three were incorrect and he also found that the car had been a small accident and the rear bumper with the number plate on it wasn't wired up properly. It was an MOT failure but EH had passed it somehow?

It took him three months of phonecalls and hassle for them to finally admit to being in the wrong. They even hit him with the sympathy card and said one of the salesmen was going through a rough time?! Well does that mean you are allowed to do illegal things?

Common theme - when I had a problem at Arnold Clark Falkirk, they eventually fixed it and claimed it had taken so long because the salesman had had serious personal issues. maybe the same person, just changed employers.

They once cracked my windscreen when it was in for a service. Well it wasn't cracked before it went in...the next day it was (it was in a part of the windscreen that you wouldn't normally look at). 99% certain it was them, as nothing hit the car when I was in it. Wasn't worth complaining due to the fact they'd just deny it.

• 2 months later...

If you think some cars on Arnold Clark website are cheap it is for a very good reason as I have found out. I purchased a used 08 Honda Civic from them recently and within a week I realised the clutch had gone-£400 to replace. Another week passed and I noticed that the air conditioning was not working. I was told by a friend that it could be the air filter. On checking the air filter I found it completely clogged but Arnold Clark had apparantly serviced it and stamped the service book which in theory should mean changing things like air and oil filters- any way it took £40 to get the air conditioning sorted. This is partly my fault as I should have looked at everything before buying it or taken a mechanic along. Realising their service meant nothing I had it serviced again - the engine oil looked black as though it had never been changed. While I was at it I had the spark plugs changed as well and a full diagnostic done on it costing £200.

In hindsight I fell for the 'big' name and glitzy show room assuming to my cost they could not stoop so low.

After I left them a negative feed back they called me and said that I should have taken the car back to them as there is a 60 day gaurantee. There is no such gaurantee mentioned in the paperwork I received or was told by the sales rep. In fact he offered me the one year gaurantee which I declined and said if anything went wrong they would not sort it out.

I do not know where they get 94% customer satisfaction which they quote on their websites from. They are by far the worst car dealer I have had the misfortune to buy a car from. Please be aware and if buying a used car get it independently inspected. DO NOT TRUST THEM.

Edited by The conned

Got quoted 170 for a service on my car, went elsewhere and got it done for £70. They then phoned me and asked why I didn't go with them, they went ballistic down the phone at me saying I was breaching agreements with them. I pointed out I never had a service plan and was told by an employee that I do not need to service with them. I won't be getting my next car there unfortunately, Il go elsewhere

If you think some cars on Arnold Clark website are cheap it is for a very good reason as I have found out. I purchased a used 08 Honda Civic from them recently and within a week I realised the clutch had gone-£400 to replace. Another week passed and I noticed that the air conditioning was not working. I was told by a friend that it could be the air filter. On checking the air filter I found it completely clogged but Arnold Clark had apparantly serviced it and stamped the service book which in theory should mean changing things like air and oil filters- any way it took £40 to get the air conditioning sorted. This is partly my fault as I should have looked at everything before buying it or taken a mechanic along. Realising their service meant nothing I had it serviced again - the engine oil looked black as though it had never been changed. While I was at it I had the spark plugs changed as well and a full diagnostic done on it costing £200.

In hindsight I fell for the 'big' name and glitzy show room assuming to my cost they could not stoop so low.

After I left them a negative feed back they called me and said that I should have taken the car back to them as there is a 60 day gaurantee. There is no such gaurantee mentioned in the paperwork I received or was told by the sales rep. In fact he offered me the one year gaurantee which I declined and said if anything went wrong they would not sort it out.

I do not know where they get 94% customer satisfaction which they quote on their websites from. They are by far the worst car dealer I have had the misfortune to buy a car from. Please be aware and if buying a used car get it independently inspected. DO NOT TRUST THEM.

You should have taken it back if the clutch went after a week. If you didn't it's your own fault.

Yep, this ^^^^^

My mate had a horror story with an Insignia from there that was a death trap.

They are an absolute disgrace.

It seems all the big names are better avoided.

Is their some kind of overlord for car garages like you have the FSA for money matters?

Should have taken your car back for a refund, which you are entitled to for the first 30 days.

I'm in the process of trying to do that with Evans Halshaw in Kilmarnock. I bought a vauxhall insignia 3 weeks ago and it's been back to fix electrical problems SIX times. I've put in a rejection letter but they've just phoned back saying the cars fixed again ready for picking up.

I'm in two minds of sticking it out to get a refund (£8500) but I feel they are going to try and wriggle out paying.

Any tips from anybody would be most appreciated.

My mum's flat mate yonks ago, her dad played golf and was pally with Sir Arnold. He said he get her sorted with a good car, what she ended up with was a banger that fell apart. He even sold his buddy's daughter a dud.

I'm in the process of trying to do that with Evans Halshaw in Kilmarnock. I bought a vauxhall insignia 3 weeks ago and it's been back to fix electrical problems SIX times. I've put in a rejection letter but they've just phoned back saying the cars fixed again ready for picking up.

I'm in two minds of sticking it out to get a refund (£8500) but I feel they are going to try and wriggle out paying.

Any tips from anybody would be most appreciated.

Quote the sales of goods act to EH as the car is not fit for purpose,however as you have given them the opportunity to fix it they may have a get out card there.

In reply to people saying that I should have taken it back-thats true I shoud have but then they would have argued over the clutch as it had not completely failed but may have lasted another couple of weeks. I needed the car and had sent off for V5 and arranged insurance for it. I could have been wasting my time with these low life. Short of a full refund a repair by these scum bags was not an option, by then I lost all trust in the bar studs.