Arnold Clark Horror Stories

Daft question perhaps, but who comes recommended for their sales and after sales service?

I'm changing car this year - swithering between new and nearly new - and would like an option other than AC. I've had no major issues with them, but I like shopping around.

Any suggestions?

I'm thinking a Golf, Civic, or possibly a Mazda3

Cheers

I stay close to Glasgow would would travel for decent service and the right car.

I would never buy a new car,As soon as you drive it off the forecourt you lose 30% of the value.

I would never buy a new car,As soon as you drive it off the forecourt you lose 30% of the value.

In 2005 I bought a brand new Corsa for £5,995.

What was brilliant about the deal was that at the time I was 22, and I had a speeding offence against my name (my own stupid fault) and an insurance claim against me (not my fault, a guy went into the back of me, but insurance companies still took that into account). The cheapest I was being quoted for insurance for any model of car was £1,200.

The brand new car came with a year's free insurance so in effect I had a brand new Corsa for under £5,000.

It's a one litre, has hardly any power, but is cheap as f**k to run, tax and insure and it's not given me much trouble at all.

Best deal I've ever had. I don't know anyone who's gotten as good a deal as I did at the time.

EDIT: Oh, and I got the garage to change my FFC plate over for me for free, and I got a full tank of petrol thrown in as it was two days late in being delivered from the manufacturer to the dealer :D

Edited by Gaz

There is that.

I'll go for nearly new most likely. I suppose if it still has the lion's share of the warranty then it won't matter a huge deal where I buy it from....maybe :unsure:

There is that.

I'll go for nearly new most likely. I suppose if it still has the lion's share of the warranty then it won't matter a huge deal where I buy it from....maybe :unsure:

Unless Sir Arnold services your Mazda with non Mazda approved parts and voids the balance of your 3 yr manufacturers warranty................

You can always look out for a pre registered car. This means the dealership has registered the car to themselves in order to make it a used car. So in essence you get a brand new car with a minimal amount of miles at a vastly reduced price.

You can always look out for a pre registered car. This means the dealership has registered the car to themselves in order to make it a used car. So in essence you get a brand new car with a minimal amount of miles at a vastly reduced price.

The car I just bought was pre registered and I saved a fortune.

I considered getting a second hand car but I'd rather just be safe in the knowledge almost everything is covered so it will only cost me petrol, insurance and tax over the next 5 years and that there's no surprises for me to discover a couple of weeks after buying.

Edited by Fudge

The car I just bought was pre registered and I saved a fortune.

I considered getting a second hand car but I'd rather just be safe in the knowledge almost everything is covered so it will only cost me petrol, insurance and tax over the next 5 years and that there's no surprises for me to discover a couple of weeks after buying.

That's my thinking. The pre-registered option looks the best bet. I suppose it's then down to choice. That is one thing that AC has in it's favour, to some extent. I used to labour under the misapprehension that you had to service your car at a main dealership in order to ensure that your warranty remains valid. now that I know that this is nonsense, I won't get fooled again.

My Dad met a guy in the pub he'd worked with previously (don't remember his name, let's call him Mike) and in the course of the conversation Mike said he'd just accepted a job with Arnold Clark in Paisley / Linwood as a salesman, and was going on 4 week Sales Course starting next week.

'Great, all the best Mike' my dad said.

Maybe 4 or 5 months went by and my Dad met Mike again. He asked him how he was getting on with his new job.

'Nah, chucked it after a few months.'

'How come?' asked my Dad.

'Too much pressure, I couldn't sleep at night with what they were asking me to do!'

Sales technique went along the lines of... politely enquire to anyone browsing if they can do with any help. Try and get involved in conversation and within 90 seconds decide whether or not they are seriously looking to buy a car today, or just browsing. If they are just browsing, you have another 90 seconds to politely get away from them and leave them to it, while turning your attention to another 'victim'. If you decide they are serious, you have the same amount of time to get them indoors and sitting comfortably to start the serious negotiations. Don't let them away without buying anything etc.

This is the good bit... if a friend or relative comes in and is seriously contemplating a car, you are to offer them a poorer deal than you would to other customers (telling them these are 'mates rates') because they will trust you, and assume you are getting them the best deal, and won't bother looking elsewhere!

Seriously hope I never have to darken their doorstep again. Had a bad experience with them in Ayr with a very aggressive sales manager who raised his voice and accused me of not being serious about buying a car. Left Ayr and went to Linwood (not AC) and bought a car that afternoon.

Bunch of shitehawks. I bought a car from them years ago, under the Macharg Rennie and Lindsay banner and brought it back the same day as a puddle of oil had formed under it in the time I parked it outside my house, went in to have lunch and came back out. Took it in and they had it in half an hour before coming out and saying they couldn't find any leak. So I parked it up in the car park, went for a wander round the showroom, came back to it and got the service manager back out and showed him the newly formed stain on his car park. Only then did they 'miraculously' find the leak.

That's after having had earlier returned with it because when I got home I noticed the registration plate on the back was different to the plate on the front. They'd transposed a letter. Big laugh to find out who'd done it as opposed to apologising to me for the inconvenience.

Never darkened the doddery auld codger's door since.

I totally agree! I had a second hand Golf from them. Getting spare parts under warranty was a nightmare.

• 1 year later...

Reviving a dead thread and my first post as I did look up for Arnold Clark horror stories and came to this. I am glad I read this thread as it re-assured me I made the right decision.

Arnold Clark and another VW Dealership had the same car that I liked, same colour and pretty much nothing else to separate them. Albeit when AC got the car delivered through so I could have a look, both front alloys were kerbed. The one at Western VW didnt have this. There were a few other little things that put me off such as the one at AC was an ex fleet car. VW offered slightly more for my car too. To conclude what could end up as a rant, I felt under less pressure to buy the car from VW than I did from AC. AC almost make you feel guilty if you dont buy it from them as they have targets to meet etc. Its not the salesman fault I suppose, its the way AC treat their staff. The guy at VW took the laid back approach and said

'it's up to you if you want it. Go home and have a think' which was what I did. AC tried to sell me the car there and then and sign up for finance but I already had the cash and said I was in no rush.

Anyway, after going through this thread I am glad I didnt buy from AC! As I really can't be f****d with the hassle of chasing things when they are broken etc. I am not sure what reputation Western VW has but they came across as very professional and the gentleman seemed well organised with what he was doing and had a far more comprehensive approved check list compared to Arnold Clark.

Cheers!

Edited by Stahlhelm

Lol, if you are a 'tic man! ;) Anyway, this forum seems to be quite a hoot and shall divulge into the football Third Division section... :P

If you are of an honest mind, don't bother (and keep clear of the Rangers v Celtic one too). Most of your brethren are of the blinkered deflecting type so it is pretty repetitive.

If you are of an honest mind, don't bother (and keep clear of the Rangers v Celtic one too). Most of your brethren are of the blinkered deflecting type so it is pretty repetitive.

Safe to say I'm not. I see things for what they are. Rangers are very lucky to even be in the Third Division. So thankful at that! I'm not into bigotry and don't believe in all this sash nonsense. It has nothing to do with football period. My best mate is a Celtic fan and we get on like a house on fire. It's football banter and I don't drop it to levels where it just gets nasty and stupid. So if you are not a blinkered Celtic fan either, then surely we'll have some good debate here.

My mate bought a car fae Arnold and when he went to them to get bee brake pads they said the wheels on the car "were too big and were illegal"

He said, "thats how you sold me the car"

I must say my own experience of arnold was flawless and when I went to pick up my motor Arnold himself was there and we had a wee chat.

Their car rentals are usually woeful too.

Never top up the fluids, washer bottle usually virtually dry etc. Second time I went to rent from them they couldn't find the specific car they'd rented to me. Guy was all over the site, eventually realised they already rented that specific car out, then vanished for ten minutes only to reappear in an absolutely filthy Renault from the far reaches of the plot.

Because of past experience with them I was highly sceptical, as I get the distinct impression they only give the cars the most cursory of wipe downs between rentals. Checked under the floor of the boot to find the spare wheel completely missing. Reaction of the bloke in the sales office was 'Oh, err... is that a problem?'

Bought a car from them a few months back, they were highly professional and I've had no problems.

Much better than the last two car sales, one from a dealership and one from a backstreet garage.

Still to get the service and I'm a bit skeptical about their clarkplan, but I have a friend who owns a garage so will get it checked there if anything looks suspect.

Edited by DAFC

That's my thinking. The pre-registered option looks the best bet. I suppose it's then down to choice. That is one thing that AC has in it's favour, to some extent. I used to labour under the misapprehension that you had to service your car at a main dealership in order to ensure that your warranty remains valid. now that I know that this is nonsense, I won't get fooled again.

Look for a nearly new car with 12,000 miles or less...you will save a fortune and get a car that is just (broke in) and have a manufacturers warranty.

After you drive your new car away the dealer wont give 2 fucks about you or your car.