Arnold Clark Horror Stories

Sales is a very demanding job and being a car salesman must be the worst of all,I have a bought and sold over 100 cars in the last 15 years through private sales as I get bored with cars easily,But I could not do it as a living,I used to work for Currys as a salesman and even that had a lot of preasure attached to it.

Good to see that some things never change.

If Arnold keeps going at this rate he will have pi$$ed off nearly everyone in the UK, surely a first for any business in this country.

A family member of mine took a job with Arnold a little over a year ago (much to my disgust). I gave them all the warnings that you would come to expect from an Arnold hater like me, but unfortunately needs must and they took the position within the Customer Service Dept. Before they started the job they couldnt understand my hatered of this Company, six months after starting they left and if you asked them about Arnold now they wouldn't have a good word to say about him. From the stories that I have been told since, never ever use their 'workshops' for any kind of repairs or servicing.

I'm on the look out for my next motor and its safe to say that I will be steering well clear of this shower again.

Rant over.

. The Audi garage in Perth makes a profit of almost £500k a month from labour and parts alone.

Are you mixing up turnover with profit ? Main dealers aftersales departments are lucky to return a profit of 5% , I very much doubt Audi in Perth is turning over tens of millions of pounds a month in parts & labour.

People are under the impression that main dealer workshops are cash cows ( very few are ) in reality any profit they make is used to cover all costs incurred to run the entire dealership ( the term for this is service absorbsion )

Cant please them all ive have found over the years workin in customer service

Biggest problem is the understandin of new car warranty,No-one reads their handbook myself included when it comes to buyin a laptop or Tv. First thing we all do is plug it in and use the manual as a coffee mug coaster and when something fails the general customer assumes its fixed at no cost which high percentage of the time it is but other cases not. Example. Blown fuse,adjustment etc

18yrs service for me and countin in arnold clark, Yes things have mayb changed quite a lot (which company hasnt??!) But imo very good employer to work for within

Edited by shawfield shed boy

I certainly won't be buying again from them, I had to go into the Kirkcaldy Honda branch 5 times as they kept making mistakes with the finance paperwork then they discussed my finance with my mother in law over the phone whilst trying to get a hold of me. They then told me my car came with a 12 month MOT which turned out to be a lie as it ran out 5 months after I bought the car.

Are you mixing up turnover with profit ? Main dealers aftersales departments are lucky to return a profit of 5% , I very much doubt Audi in Perth is turning over tens of millions of pounds a month in parts & labour.

People are under the impression that main dealer workshops are cash cows ( very few are ) in reality any profit they make is used to cover all costs incurred to run the entire dealership ( the term for this is service absorbsion )

I just got told they make that much every month. It wouldn't be surprising since they charge pretty much £100 an hour and all parts are insanely marked up. It's about £8 for a wheel bolt

Cant please them all ive have found over the years workin in customer service

o

Biggest problem is the understandin of new car warranty,No-one reads their handbook myself included when it comes to buyin a laptop or Tv.

1st thing we all do is plug it in and use the manual as a coffee mug coaster and when something fails the general customer assumes its fixed at no cost which high percentage of the time it is but other cases not. Example. Blown fuse,adjustment etc

18yrs service for me and countin in arnold clark

Yes things have mayb changed quite a lot (which company hasnt??!) But imo very good employer to work for within

The most alarming thing about this post is realising that you're at least in your mid 30's and you've been offering to fight people off the internet and giving out your personal details via pm's :lol: Edited by blanco

The most alarming thing about this post is realising that you're at least in your mid 30's and you've been offering to fight people off the internet and giving out your personal details via pm's :lol:

The poster offered help which happens every day on here,

On hindsight i was maybe a bit a rash though as previously said he wound up the wrong person at the wrong time for various different reasons

Like yourself i wont forget either and feel free to bring you car in and send me your details before-hand :P

The poster offered help which happens every day on here,

On hindsight i was maybe a bit a rash though as previously said he wound up the wrong person at the wrong time for various different reasons

Like yourself i wont forget either and feel free to bring you car in and send me your details before-hand :P

After reading some of the posts here I get shivers just driving past Arnold Clark, never mind letting them loose on my car.

The most alarming thing about this post is realising that you're at least in your mid 30's and you've been offering to fight people off the internet and giving out your personal details via pm's :lol:

I'm more amazed he's allowed to work with the public

After reading some of the posts here I get shivers just driving past Arnold Clark, never mind letting them loose on my car.

Cant please them all and Some people (Not just on here) want things done for nothing

Call out a joiner,plumber etc you'll pay a call out charge and over the top labour rate but take your car into a dealership and pay for a trained tech using all the update to date computer equipment some think its over the top

Every day I get phone calls from local garages asking for technical advice and high amount of them (Not all) imo run on guess work or models they have worked on before with same problem

Not for a min am I saying mistakes don't get made (Were all human) but not deliberate and the old saying of one unhappy customer tells 40 where a happy customer doesn't tell anyone is soo true

Anyway my final post on this thread as not wanting to get into too much would could affect my job, but my dealership customers monthly survey scores sat at 88% of happy & satisfied customers for our internal survey last month and the other an impressive 91% for our franchise survey, Maybe backs up some of what I'm trying to say and on prev post of not being able to please them all (We do try) but the majority are happy and the scores alone amongst others does give me job satisfaction

Edited by shawfield shed boy

Just bought a 'delivery mileage' 62 Corsa from them last week. Cant say I have any complaints about the setting up the finance or the cost or the motor itself, It was a pretty damn good deal. Included was two free services, should I be worried about the standard of these services when they come? I cant see the shop floor mechanic being too fussed how these are paid for.

Just bought a 'delivery mileage' 62 Corsa from them last week. Cant say I have any complaints about the setting up the finance or the cost or the motor itself, It was a pretty damn good deal. Included was two free services, should I be worried about the standard of these services when they come? I cant see the shop floor mechanic being too fussed how these are paid for.

Lets look at this from Arnolds eyes.

There is no such thing as a 'free' service, its all built into the cost of the car, and because you have taken finance, your effectively paying interest on your servicing costs. Which means more profit for the boy Arnold.

Your first service will be nothing more than an oil & filter change and a quick tickle with the feather duster. The oil and filter will cost him no more than £15 at trade price.Your second servce will probably be a bit more thorough but still the parts cost at trade price will be minimal. However, when your car is in for the second service there will be a fair chance that it will need additional work (brake pads, tyres etc) which will result in additional payments.

By having your car coming back to him for its servicing keeps his workshop busy and justifies his layout of financies on his workshop facilities and equipment.

In a nutshell, the free servicing deal is a win win situation for Arnold.

Lets look at this from Arnolds eyes.

There is no such thing as a 'free' service, its all built into the cost of the car, and because you have taken finance, your effectively paying interest on your servicing costs. Which means more profit for the boy Arnold.

Your first service will be nothing more than an oil & filter change and a quick tickle with the feather duster. The oil and filter will cost him no more than £15 at trade price.Your second servce will probably be a bit more thorough but still the parts cost at trade price will be minimal. However, when your car is in for the second service there will be a fair chance that it will need additional work (brake pads, tyres etc) which will result in additional payments.

By having your car coming back to him for its servicing keeps his workshop busy and justifies his layout of financies on his workshop facilities and equipment.

In a nutshell, the free servicing deal is a win win situation for Arnold.

^^^^^ As is the case with all car dealers , but don't let that get in the way of your wee vandetta.

Edit - I spell ven detta , it posts van detta , stupid p&b !

Edited by tree house tam