Arnold Clark Horror Stories

I recently went against my better judgement and bought a car at Arnold Clark. Wouldn't normally have done so but they had the car I was looking for and it was a really good price to change. Much better than other garages had offered me. I've had absolutely no problems at all and am so far delighted with the whole thing. It won't be going there for servicing, they are not a main dealer for the car in Dumfries anyway though it had been bought originally from an Arnold Clark further up Scotland.

I would happily deal with them again based on my experiences with this one.

I recently went against my better judgement and bought a car at Arnold Clark. Wouldn't normally have done so but they had the car I was looking for and it was a really good price to change. Much better than other garages had offered me. I've had absolutely no problems at all and am so far delighted with the whole thing. It won't be going there for servicing, they are not a main dealer for the car in Dumfries anyway though it had been bought originally from an Arnold Clark further up Scotland.

I would happily deal with them again based on my experiences with this one.

I've bought a few cars from them over the years and never had a problem with any of them. Got a fantastic deal on a mazda 6 diesel a few years back when the model was changing. The one problem car I've had was a megane estate from Belmont in Stirling who have gone now. It was a bucket of shite but I just kept battering them with warranty this and warranty that for a year before trading it in for the mazda above. Edited by HTG

Although I agree that AC are shite, some of these complaints seem more to do wi the car being shite.

Hate to disappoint but they don't build the cars.

Trust you to point you the obvious to the Oblivious ;)

I bought my current car from AC and the car itself has been no problem at all. I'm currently thinking of getting something newer as I've just started a new job in Dumbarton and have to drive to work now. I'm torn between going back to AC as they basically have the majority of garages.

I bought my current car from AC and the car itself has been no problem at all. I'm currently thinking of getting something newer as I've just started a new job in Dumbarton and have to drive to work now. I'm torn between going back to AC as they basically have the majority of garages.

It seems to be almost impossible to find a reliable garage these days.

Even when it comes to fixing and servicing the motors.

I even know people who tell me how they go to so and so and how great and reliable he is.

Then they tell you the price and what needed done and I have to hold my tongue.

If garages do that to people that call them friends, what do they do to ordinary punters?

There are jobs in Dumbarton? :o:o:o

Although I agree that AC are shite, some of these complaints seem more to do wi the car being shite.

Hate to disappoint but they don't build the cars.

I think the point seems to be they don't actually repair them either.

I'm in the process of trying to do that with Evans Halshaw in Kilmarnock. I bought a vauxhall insignia 3 weeks ago and it's been back to fix electrical problems SIX times. I've put in a rejection letter but they've just phoned back saying the cars fixed again ready for picking up.

I'm in two minds of sticking it out to get a refund (£8500) but I feel they are going to try and wriggle out paying.

Any tips from anybody would be most appreciated.

Stick to your guns, no discussions, just thanks but no thanks.

I think the point seems to be they don't actually repair them either.

I get that.

The point I was making was that parts broke/failed and then I assume AC sorted it (possibly not very well) and the customer drove away thinking their troubles were over.

A week later and it's back.

At this point I'd be 50/50 on who I was blaming.

I do agree AC are a joke. I also wouldn't trust them with a toy car.

Sometimes though the thing some people seem to be blaming them for is a manufacturer issue and AC are not the ones that should be blamed.

Plenty other things we can blame them for though.

In reply to people saying that I should have taken it back-thats true I shoud have but then they would have argued over the clutch as it had not completely failed but may have lasted another couple of weeks. I needed the car and had sent off for V5 and arranged insurance for it. I could have been wasting my time with these low life. Short of a full refund a repair by these scum bags was not an option, by then I lost all trust in the bar studs.

I'm sorry to be so harsh but it's your own fault. You should have stood up for yourself and insisted they sort it at their expense. Your whole argument goes completely out of the window because you didn't give them an opportunity to do so.

If I bought a car and the clutch started to go after a week and then the AC stopped working within a fortnight then it would be going straight back to the garage for them to fix otherwise the car would be going back for a refund, which you are completely within your rights to do. It's not some secret guarantee only some folk know about it's common sense!

Places like AC will give their cars a brief visual inspection to ensure that they are road worthy. They might do an intermittent service if you are lucky which doesn't mount up to much so it is down to the customer to be smart and pull them up early for every fault you find, no matter how small or trivial.

BTW I think they are cowboys too and if you let them take advantage of you, they will.

• 1 year later...

The bird took her car to Arnold Clark on Glasgow's South Street on Friday to have the pollen filter replaced. They've managed to disconnect the indicators in the process.

Tried and failed to get someone to sort it yesterday. They really are useless b*****ds.

The bird took her car to Arnold Clark on Glasgow's South Street on Friday to have the pollen filter replaced. They've managed to disconnect the indicators in the process.

Tried and failed to get someone to sort it yesterday. They really are useless b*****ds.

Hud the bus, women use the indicators?

They are.

However, why are you taking a car to arnold clark to get a pollen filter replace?, you could do that yourself in about 20 minutes or if not a back street garage will do it for buttons.

I bought my current car from Arnold Clark with no issues, seen it online, went in and asked about it, and walked out with the car a week later.

Just your luck really. I recently bought a car from Car Deal Warehouse at Newbridge, near Edinburgh. No problems with the car. Sales guy was spot on, price was right.

However, when I went to pay, I asked where the spare key was. Was told it was at their garage and they would forward it on to me. Then got told the spare key is with the ex owner and she would forward it to them. Anyway that was in May. It's now August and still no key. I've e-mailed them a few times as a spare key would be handy and it was promised to me at the sale. Can't trust these second hand car dealers. Who'd a thunk it!

Edited by Scary Bear