Arnold Clark Horror Stories

9 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Am I the only one confused as to why Arnold Clark have some of this data? I've never bought a new car - do they really take things like passports and birth certificates?

I have never bought brand new from a garage either but my guess would be it is for identification purposes to prevent fraud when buying a car on credit.

8 hours ago, derrybiy said:

I got a very carefully worded email from them saying it appears I'm affected. They don't know to what extent but here's a worrying excerpt 

"During this incident, it appears that some personal data stored in our network may have been stolen, including names, contact details, dates of birth, vehicle details, ID documents (such as passports and driver’s licences), National Insurance numbers (in limited cases) and bank account details."

At no point does it mention sorry or apologies. 

Got the same email. Laughed at this part:

“Those whose personal data has been affected by a data breach are considered more likely to be at a higher risk of being victims of attempted fraud.  Therefore, we are offering you 24 months of complimentary credit and web monitoring services, provided by Experian, one of the UK’s leading Credit Reference agencies.   This monitoring service will help detect suspicious activity which involves your personal data, thus reducing your risk of being a victim of fraud.“

Cheers lads.

I got £450 compensation from Ticketmaster last year after a data breach so worthwhile taking this further.

6 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

“Those whose personal data has been affected by a data breach are considered more likely to be at a higher risk of being victims of attempted fraud.  Therefore, we are offering you 24 months of complimentary credit and web monitoring services, provided by Experian, one of the UK’s leading Credit Reference agencies.   This monitoring service will help detect suspicious activity which involves your personal data, thus reducing your risk of being a victim of fraud.“

Cheers lads.

I got £450 compensation from Ticketmaster last year after a data breach so worthwhile taking this further.

Yeah I was just about to reply to the below post explaining that's all that was offered. I have signed up for that experian thing but I can't be arsed checking if its actually worth it and what it would normally cost.

I did wonder if it was worth pursuing them for compensation but I'd imagine I'd get either ignored, asked to phone them or offered some sort of voucher for mot's or services. I might give them an email sometime soon rather than being told I'm too late if I do get hacked or my identity stolen.

6 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

Surely to f**k there should be compensation owed to customers in instances such as these…

16 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

Cheers lads.

Can't remember how much or the form it took but we got decent compo from TalkTalk when they had a data breach a few years back.

On 03/02/2023 at 16:44, derrybiy said:

I got a very carefully worded email from them saying it appears I'm affected. They don't know to what extent but here's a worrying excerpt 

"During this incident, it appears that some personal data stored in our network may have been stolen, including names, contact details, dates of birth, vehicle details, ID documents (such as passports and driver’s licences), National Insurance numbers (in limited cases) and bank account details."

At no point does it mention sorry or apologies. 

Must have been written by Leeann Dempster.

20 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Am I the only one confused as to why Arnold Clark have some of this data? I've never bought a new car - do they really take things like passports and birth certificates?

It's for credit checks.

The retention period could be up to 11 years for this but not if AC aren't the lender.

I'm not seeing anything worrying about the data that is held. As I said previously the length of time to tell customers seems to be an issue but it will be dependent in what they knew and when 

7 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's for credit checks.

The retention period could be up to 11 years for this but not if AC aren't the lender.

I'm not seeing anything worrying about the data that is held. As I said previously the length of time to tell customers seems to be an issue but it will be dependent in what they knew and when 

They're a credit broker rather than a lender, if that makes a difference.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/02/2023 at 17:12, Gibby82 said:

Cheers lads.

On 03/02/2023 at 17:22, derrybiy said:

Yeah I was just about to reply to the below post explaining that's all that was offered. I have signed up for that experian thing but I can't be arsed checking if its actually worth it and what it would normally cost.

I did wonder if it was worth pursuing them for compensation but I'd imagine I'd get either ignored, asked to phone them or offered some sort of voucher for mot's or services. I might give them an email sometime soon rather than being told I'm too late if I do get hacked or my identity stolen.

Has anyone had any luck emailing asking for compensation?

No idea what the delay has been, but I got the dreaded email today!

38 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I was coming on here to ask the same as also got the email late afternoon.

1 hour ago, No_Problemo said:

I’ve done it through the same firm I used for the Ticketmaster breach, Keller Postman UK, cause I’m a lazy sod. Completed their online form but haven’t heard back yet.

2 minutes ago, Gibby82 said:

I’ve done it through the same firm I used for the Ticketmaster breach, Keller Postman UK, cause I’m a lazy sod. Completed their online form but haven’t heard back yet.

I saw that link through Twitter, but the part I saw said it was for England and Wales?

2 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Unfortunately yes - it may have changed since you did it, but I went to apply and it wouldn’t let me!

Hopefully at some point there will be a scotland version…

Aye you’re right enough. I had filled out the generic form, hadn’t even noticed there was a specific Arnold Clark one.