Madchester

ffcsam

The best  

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Missed this thread, somehow!

The Stone Roses for me too, they're just magnificent aren't they? I like Inspiral Carpets and the Happy Mondays too though, can't argue with the likes of Saturn 5, This Is How It Feels, 24 Hour Party People, Hallelujah etc. Would've had James ahead of The Charlatans, not sure if they're really Madchester. The others are on a different level, anyway.

Roses > James > Carpets > Mondays >>>>> Charlatans.

I'd also like to add my support for the aforementioned Northside. Chicken Rhythmes & Extras... what an album! Never gonna guess what time it is, never gonna guess what time it is, TAKE FIVE! :D

Edited by Paco

Mondays. No question. Brilliant.

Stone Roses are good, but not my favourites. One album with five great songs and a second album that's poor isn't good enough, considering.

Charlatans can be very good but patchy over the years and I just don't like the Inspiral Carpets.

The Mondays for me. Fool's Gold is an all time classic by the Stone Roses but not much else of theirs really grabbed me.

It's hard to look back on the Inspiral Carpets and the Charlatans with anything other than faint embarrassment.

The focus on the big four/five/six "Madchester" bands took away something from the genuinely revolutionary things going on in the dance scene at that time: folk like 808 State, A Certain Ratio, A Guy Called Gerald, etc etc.

York....they're Britpop, not Madchester.

It has to be Inspiral Carpets.

Who are from Oldham which is not actually Manchester either it's greater Madchester (pedantic I know) .

Null Vote for me due to the lack of a Northside option.

Very good point . Was just listening to Shall we take a trip EP on vinyl 20 minutes ago.

No 808 state or James either.

I seem to remember being more into the Mondays at the time but they've gone downhill in my estimation because I've seen them doing very poor gigs. The Roses produced 2 great albums then folded. Perfect way to keep the memories of them good ones. Mind you Ian Brown's vocals could be ropey as f**k so I'm glad I missed some of their dodgy gigs.

I'd have to take some good MDMA and compare them all I think. Just for old time's sake.

• 4 years later...

New tune from the Charlatans. Absolutely brilliant.

Trying to get myself into The Charlatans and the Inspiral Carpets. Only know a few tunes from both bands. Anyone got any suggestions for a good starting point, what albums should I have a good listen to?

Tellinstoriescover.jpg

Excellent album this one, really easy to listen to.

Happy Mondays and The Stone Roses were great at the start, reckon the Mondays were better in terms of quality and output but not much between their best hits.

Don't really like the roses now at all, can barely listen to them as I listened so much back in the day. First album is totally overrated but something you would love as a teenager. So much amazing much in the early 90s, tbh dance music was miles ahead in terms of production and invention.

Was brilliant when djs would play hip hop, dance and even the occasional tunes like step on etc.

Edited by D.A.F.C

New tune from the Charlatans. Absolutely brilliant.

Trying to get myself into The Charlatans and the Inspiral Carpets. Only know a few tunes from both bands. Anyone got any suggestions for a good starting point, what albums should I have a good listen to?

Life and The Beast Inside by Inspiral Carpets are a good start.

For the Carpets I would start with the Life album best overall album and the rest is probably picking up singles Saturn 5, Dragging me Down, I want you (version with Mark E Smith), Caravan and the Island Head EP.

Charlatans - up to our hips is my favourite as well although some friendly is a close second. The charlatans suffered a little by going on too long.

On the topic in general - the Roses and Mondays are streets ahead of the other two. I was never a huge Mondays fan at the time and I was onyl really into Pills n Thrills. It was only as I got older that I appreciated that Bummed is far superior.

Was never into James saw them at come back gig a few back at the academy and I was reminded how much I disliked Tim Booth.

Nice to see a couple of people point out that over time Happy Mondays have shown themselves to the best of that era.

It is a fact that hey have recorded more good songs than The Stone Roses and they also made more great albums. As much as I loved the Roses debut at the time it was out I havent listened to it this century. Bummed has had plenty of airtime over they years for me.

Happy Mondays were late 80s Manchester encapsulated (see link at the end of this post). A group of normal lads youd bump into if you were out in the Hacienda selling/using class As as much as anyone else that was there, who also happened to make great music.

Along with Primal Scream's Loaded they were the epitome of indie/dance crossover at the time of the last great youth movement we've seen (Acid House). They had tracks remixed/produced by Weatherall and Oakenfold when these people were at their most cutting edge and also produced their own club classics like Rave On. Their fondness for funk was also included to great effect.

If youre unsure of Madchester was about and have an hour to spare, enjoy the video below.

Thanks for the replies.

A band's 'Best Of...' is generally the best place to start.

I've done this in the past but it's something I'm trying to get away from. I don't want to be stuck with the popular, more generic tunes when there is more often than not many other absolutely class tracks. First Oasis CD I got was Stop The Clocks and it took me far too long to realise they have so much more - I was blown away when I heard The Masterplan (album) for the first time. I have the best of The Smiths which is great but I know there is more out there. I need to start with proper albums to give me a taste and crave more rather than hearing "the best" a band has got to offer.