8 hours ago, 10menwent2mow said:

I think it's my 3rd or 4th ban, all of which have been for calling either Piers Morgan or Nigel Farage c***s. I think I've actually blocked Farage now. 

Tempted to see what happens if I call Greta Thunberg a c**t to see how the rules have changed under Musk.

On 09/03/2023 at 05:58, ICTChris said:

This was due to a change that went wrong, which is something highly relevant to my work.  It's always interesting to peer inside companies when they have these issues and how badly they do stuff that's considered pretty basic everywhere.  One example, is that during the discovery phase of his takeover, it was found that Twitter didn't have a test or non-prod environment - you developed a change and just whacked it into production with limited testing.

On the other hand, he's reduced the number of staff significantly - I think the figure was 7,000 down to 2,000 and the site still, basically works.  Clearly there was scope for cutting costs - I think a lot of the Silicon Valley tech giants are overmanned and will be or have already cut back.

They hire people to stop other tech companies from having the talent, and to make themselves look more successful.

I would bet a large number of those 5000 people at Twitter were sitting around doing very little.

On 14/03/2023 at 19:28, Derry Alli said:

Whadathey like? C'est la vie.

Cultural cringe is a fascinating thing, most countries don't have it (at all) but not only is it bizarrely prevelant in Scotland we want to apply our warped standards to others.

Free live music on a plane? Sounds fun if anything.

Having a culture you quite like? Not cringe worthy.

Having a culture of hating yourself and others like you? Very odd.

26 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Cultural cringe is a fascinating thing, most countries don't have it (at all) but not only is it bizarrely prevelant in Scotland we want to apply our warped standards to others.

Free live music on a plane? Sounds fun if anything.

It’s interesting to see the correlation when you go to Wales to see how much they value their own culture. The language is a lot more widespread granted than Gaelic for example but they seem to really embrace it and people are quite disappointed in themselves if they can’t speak it. Here you talk about expanding Gaelic and people question why people even want it to survive. 

Perhaps the fact that we’ve let our culture essentially be Disneyfied hasn’t helped matters. 

1 hour ago, Satoshi said:

Absolutely. Up north I see hundreds of of cars "wi spik doric here" stickers. 

Couldn't give a f**k, m8.

11 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

It’s interesting to see the correlation when you go to Wales to see how much they value their own culture. The language is a lot more widespread granted than Gaelic for example but they seem to really embrace it and people are quite disappointed in themselves if they can’t speak it.

I didn’t get this feeling from many people in the Cardiff and RCT areas. Seemed 50/50 cringe/nationalist to me. I would imagine it’s quite location specific with the west and north being more protective.

4 minutes ago, mathematics said:

I didn’t get this feeling from many people in the Cardiff and RCT areas. Seemed 50/50 cringe/nationalist to me. I would imagine it’s quite location specific with the west and north being more protective.

Same in the North East, you never hear Welsh in Wrexham and the lingua franca of Rhyl is Scouse. I lived in Llangollen for while which is pretty universally English spoken, but it's Welsh in walking distance away to the West.

20 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

It’s interesting to see the correlation when you go to Wales to see how much they value their own culture. The language is a lot more widespread granted than Gaelic for example but they seem to really embrace it and people are quite disappointed in themselves if they can’t speak it. Here you talk about expanding Gaelic and people question why people even want it to survive. 

Perhaps the fact that we’ve let our culture essentially be Disneyfied hasn’t helped matters. 

I wouldn't say so much Disneyfied as Walter Scottified.

The whole kilts and tartan thing is hundreds of years old, not thousands (individual clan tartans maybe mid 1800s).

This applies to all cultures to various degrees.

But our culture is not stagnant, it develops every year through comedy, music, art, game design etc.

It's not intrinsically better than other cultures, nor worse, but I don't know why we would cringe towards any of it. It probably exists in Wales and Scotland as they have for so long, and are, culturally, economically and politically dominated by England. The same people who cringe at Scottish culture probably also cringe at the idea that we have a separate legal, political, education and health system.

Other countries don't have this. England doesn't really have this. You can like and enjoy your culture or be embarrassed by it - some people seem happier with the latter.